Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How do you deal with a flat? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1097458)

TCR Rider 02-10-17 09:49 AM

How do you deal with a flat?

I came across this while browsing around the interwebs. On it's face it seems like a good idea but I don't see how it could work on clincher tires since it would have to patch the tube. Also many times the sourse of the flat is not so easy to locate without removing the tire. PatchnRide

https://patchnride.com/

danimal92sport 02-10-17 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TCR Rider (Post 19369432)
I came across this while browsing around the interwebs. On it's face it seems like a good idea but I don't see how it could work on clincher tires since it would have to patch the tube. Also many times the sourse of the flat is not so easy to locate without removing the tire. PatchnRide

https://patchnride.com/

Seems to me that the pressure in the tube would push against the patch to seal the tube puncture just like a regular tube patch. But I agree; this would only work when you can see/detect the puncture at the outside of the tire, which for me has probably only been 1/2 of the time or so.

Dan

TimothyH 02-10-17 09:58 AM

The linked website is garbage, forcing viewers to watch a video to find out what the product is. I wanted to click out after 10 seconds.

I watched the whole video and still don't understand what the product actually does.

Changing a tube is not "self punishment" but very simple and "shelling out big dollars for tires" is required when the tire is ripped apart like in the video, unless you want to crash.

Road bikes, cruiser bikes, mountain bikes, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp and grits... :rolleyes:

Not going to pre order a product when the manufacturer doesn't say how it works.

-Tim-

nycphotography 02-10-17 09:58 AM

Right because I always drag my roll around into the driveway to perform a single tool (1 tire lever) operation.

I suspect that thing is a) for tubeless and b) about 10 times as big as a dynaplug micro pro.

rumrunn6 02-10-17 10:10 AM

nice how he tosses the nail for the next rider

WhyFi 02-10-17 10:34 AM

I want a Serotta to ride on the sidewalk, too.

TCR Rider 02-10-17 10:34 AM

I agree the video is a waste and I still don't see how it would patch a clincher. I'll pass. I didn't even see how much they're charging to the thing.

WhyFi 02-10-17 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by TCR Rider (Post 19369554)
I didn't even see how much they're charging to the thing.

You can pre-order for $35, which gets you "two patch pods and two leak detectors." Not sure how many flats that fixes, but if it's two it sure as hell isn't less expensive than the tubes they were ragging on.

edit: patch pods are single use.

Lol.

datlas 02-10-17 10:39 AM

This is a relatively useless product as most flats don't have a big obvious nail in them. Plus, most flats are caused either by a pinch flat or a shard stuck in the tread. This would be fail for these cases.

SpeshulEd 02-10-17 11:40 AM

Good luck getting that thing into the tiny baby hole in the tube on the first try.

10 Wheels 02-10-17 11:41 AM

Good way to push in a piece of glass

Wileyrat 02-10-17 11:47 AM

I'm almost never fortunate enough to know what caused my flat, road or mountain bike, and a 17+ buck one time use?

Pass.

SpeshulEd 02-10-17 11:50 AM

It's also entertaining that as you patch your tube, you leave a 1/4" gaping hole in your tire.

ptempel 02-10-17 11:52 AM

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/...7/26936777.jpg

Dave Cutter 02-10-17 11:57 AM

These products are almost always created by non-cyclists. They may make great sense to someone that thinks bicycle flats are taken in to the shop to be fixed. But this product at lease... doesn't have a practical use.

WalksOn2Wheels 02-10-17 01:04 PM

Anyone that spends money on that deserves to be deprived of their money.

RPK79 02-10-17 01:04 PM

I usually just call the team car up and have them swap out the wheel.

indyfabz 02-10-17 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by RPK79 (Post 19369904)
I usually just call the team car up and have them swap out the wheel.

Do they remember to swap it for another wheel with a motor?

Elvo 02-10-17 01:54 PM

Can someone describe how it works? My computer does not support video

TimothyH 02-10-17 02:00 PM

Does anyone else feel like the title of this thread is bait?

gsa103 02-10-17 02:10 PM

It's a good potential solution for tubulars, maybe for tubeless, and going to really marginal for clinchers. Also, maybe useful for hub motor ebikes, where removing the wheel is a pain.

The problem is that you have to get the needle inside a flat innertube without punching through the opposite side, or having the tube pull away. With a clincher it's going to work like 30% of the time.

banerjek 02-10-17 02:20 PM

I was impressed -- by how he could wack a screw through the tire with a hammer and have it not go through the rim as well.

banerjek 02-10-17 02:44 PM

If only someone would come up with tires that don't require any air so that flats were not possible...

Even though the idea keeps coming up and failing, I'm sure these guys got it right. They're not on the market yet, but they soon will be!

zymphad 02-10-17 03:34 PM

I usually not frustrayed with a flat. I take my time, enjoy the break, look at the scenery. Also normally I patch rather than use new tube.

Had a few tires that I had to replace but my new favorite tire is more punctyre resistant, just as fast as GP4K and $36 for pair shipped.

RPK79 02-10-17 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 19369921)
Do they remember to swap it for another wheel with a motor?

I prefer the seat post motor. Less rotational weight.