Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Looking for feedback on Origami Lotus (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1217132)

Pinigis 11-09-20 11:13 AM

Looking for feedback on Origami Lotus

Folks, we are in the final stages of designing our upcoming Lotus model and would love to get some feedback from the group. No, I am not trying to sell you anything (especially since we won't even have these avable for about six months). But, I would appreciate some feedback on the style and features.
This is going to be a 9-speed model with a Cro-Moly frame, hydraulic disc brakes (mineral oil, two piston), adjustable handlebar height, 349 16" wheels, 58t chain ring (53t shown in the photo, but 58t for production), etc. We are at about 21 pounds now, but could cut weight with a few tradeoffs or costlier parts.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cb0c807173.jpg
Origami Lotus

Geepig 11-09-20 11:52 AM

Looks really cool, any pictures of it folded?

Pinigis 11-09-20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Geepig (Post 21782082)

D'oh! No, but I will get some.

tds101 11-09-20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pinigis (Post 21782126)
D'oh! No, but I will get some.

Dear lord!!! This bike is going to be GORGEOUS!!! Please, PLEASE make it so a heavier rider can use it!

Pinigis 11-09-20 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 21782419)
Dear lord!!! This bike is going to be GORGEOUS!!! Please, PLEASE make it so a heavier rider can use it!

What weight limit should we accommodate?

tds101 11-09-20 03:31 PM

I'm 240lbs, and I've gained this extra weight after getting Covid 19 at the beginning of the year. I just purchased a Dahon Mariner i7 because the weight limit is 250lbs (plus it has 1 feature I luv, and that's an IGH). Something like this would be great to keep at work, so I can take lunchtime rides, and hopefully get my lungs to recover.

PS: I still love my custom modded Origami Wasp. I just wish I could locate a 7 or 8 speed Shimano Nexus rear wheel for it. Then I'd ride that baby more often (I, honestly, have SEVERLY bad luck with standard derailleurs).

Pinigis 11-09-20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 21782510)
I'm 240lbs, and I've gained this extra weight after getting Covid 19 at the beginning of the year. I just purchased a Dahon Mariner i7 because the weight limit is 250lbs (plus it has 1 feature I luv, and that's an IGH). Something like this would be great to keep at work, so I can take lunchtime rides, and hopefully get my lungs to recover.

PS: I still love my custom modded Origami Wasp. I just wish I could locate a 7 or 8 speed Shimano Nexus rear wheel for it. Then I'd ride that baby more often (I, honestly, have SEVERLY bad luck with standard derailleurs).

I will shoot for 260 lbs

tds101 11-09-20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pinigis (Post 21782547)
I will shoot for 260 lbs

I'd be on board for that!!! :thumb:

tdonline 11-09-20 07:18 PM

How much would the price jump to get under 20 pounds? How about a carrier block for the front?

My main ride has disc brakes and the stopping strength is notably better than my non-disc bike (and previous bikes), but I'm not that keen on disc brakes. All for the ridiculous reason that I don't know them and can't work on them. I really need to watch a few videos. Are disc brakes heavier than other types of brakes?

GTA 11-09-20 08:48 PM

Have been riding this model in China for a while..... :-)

Pinigis 11-09-20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by GTA (Post 21783047)

Maybe something similar, but not exactly like this.

Pinigis 11-09-20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by tdonline (Post 21782932)
How much would the price jump to get under 20 pounds? How about a carrier block for the front?

My main ride has disc brakes and the stopping strength is notably better than my non-disc bike (and previous bikes), but I'm not that keen on disc brakes. All for the ridiculous reason that I don't know them and can't work on them. I really need to watch a few videos. Are disc brakes heavier than other types of brakes?

Getting under 20 pounds will probably add $200 to the price, so I don't see it as necessary.
Yes, it will have a carrier block on the front (see photo).
We have used hydraulic disc brakes on two of our models in the past, and I really like them. They do weigh a little more because the hubs and calipers have some bulk to them. But, given the responsiveness and stopping ability, its a reasonable tradeoff. Once the calipers are set up, there is really no maintenance until you wear out the pads and have to change them. They are generally lower in maintenance than Vee brakes.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...721a34cf72.jpg

BikeLite 11-10-20 04:53 AM

It looks nice, Paul.

tdonline 11-10-20 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by GTA (Post 21783047)

Like? Don't like? Pros? Cons?

tdonline 11-10-20 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pinigis (Post 21783090)
Getting under 20 pounds will probably add $200 to the price, so I don't see it as necessary.

For a superlight folding bike, I don't think an additional $200 being a barrier. I understand though that it may not be the best business decision to carry a separate model to appease a small group.

patpatrol 11-11-20 10:19 AM

Hi GTA,
Can share contacts of chinese manufacturers for Fnhon and Cruis? I am also looking for Gaotelu. Somehow dont feel safe buying from Taobao as the tendency to get fake goods are high.

Thanks!
Pat

Pinigis 11-11-20 09:15 PM

ask and you shall receive.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8cb936f7d9.png

Pinigis 11-13-20 10:28 AM

Here is a better (cleaned-up) photo. Note the block on the headtube
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...acc4d649f5.jpg

Geepig 11-15-20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Pinigis (Post 21788573)
Here is a better (cleaned-up) photo. Note the block on the headtube
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...acc4d649f5.jpg

I like the look of it, functional and stylish :)
What kind of options are you planning?

Pinigis 11-15-20 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Geepig (Post 21790992)
I like the look of it, functional and stylish :)
What kind of options are you planning?

what options would you like?

FolderBeholder 11-15-20 08:57 PM

Steel is real....good call IMO. A different animal than aluminum and I personally prefer the ride over aluminum.
I like the matte finish as pictured, although thats not really a design element...

FWIW I'd be more than happy without disc brakes....take that cost and extra weight and use/lose it elsewhere (I have 4 bicycles and the one with discs (mechanical) is the most finicky in terms of brakes...squealing, rubbing, etc. and I wrench on all my bikes, motorcycles for many years, etc. and for most bicycles I think they're overkill. Just saying.... )

Not to mention discs tend to be more vulnerable especially when folded and transported.

Looks like could be a contender for belt/igh config. per the frame style?

Looks like a promising product....is there a price-point you're targeting or is that still proprietary info?

tds101 11-16-20 06:35 PM

IGH option (as you don't have one), mechanical disk brakes, steel frame is excellent,...

porschetoyz 11-17-20 10:50 AM

Paul,
Don't underestimate the (universal) value of a sub-20lb bike, delivered.
... or maybe an easy upgrade path ...
Option: Any plans to have this bike fit into your luggage case (!)?
Option: Have it roll on a wheel when folded.
I had a Wasp bike. Good bike. I look forward this one too.

GTA 11-18-20 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pinigis (Post 21783082)
Maybe something similar, but not exactly like this.

Same frame. This LOTUS is not using an original designed frame, obviously. I assume FNHON is the odm.
Anyway, the frame has a good quality.
The only problem, from my perspective, is its short wheelbase.

Pinigis 11-20-20 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by porschetoyz (Post 21794457)
Paul,
Don't underestimate the (universal) value of a sub-20lb bike, delivered.
... or maybe an easy upgrade path ...
Option: Any plans to have this bike fit into your luggage case (!)?
Option: Have it roll on a wheel when folded.
I had a Wasp bike. Good bike. I look forward this one too.

yes, it will fit in our luggage. And, it will roll when folded.

I am looking at a couple of options to get under 20 pounds