Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I may have SLIGHTLY over inflated my inner tube (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172471)

Skipjacks 05-08-19 08:16 AM

I may have SLIGHTLY over inflated my inner tube

So I'm sitting here in my office in my bike in front of my desk....everything is nice and quiet

Then BANG!!!!

Sounded like a gun went off...followed by a slow 'pffpffffftftftftftfff' as I watched my bike drop an inch and a half

My rear inner tube exploded

It's possible I may have SLIGHTLY over inflated it.

:)

Scared the snot out of me! hahaha

Oh well good thing I keep a spare with me. Guess I know what I'm doing at lunch time.

ridelikeaturtle 05-08-19 08:37 AM

One time long ago the gauge on my cheap floor pump (now replaced) rotated somehow so that it was reading low, and I pumped my tyre up to what I thought was 100psi... and it was probably more like 200psi... and wow did it scare the hell out of me when it went BANG.

Skipjacks 05-08-19 08:50 AM

This happened in a store once. I was there with my then 2 year old. We were next to a rack of bikes when BANG!!!! A random tube on one of the bikes gave out.

My 2 year old looked up at me, saw I wasn't scared, and just smiled and ignored it.

The store manager gave me a 10% off coupon because it DIDN'T scare the kid and make him cry.

Ironically...I was there to buy a spare inner tube that day. The same spare inner tube I will be putting on my bike in about an hour.

ksryder 05-08-19 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 20919736)

Oh well good thing I keep a spare with me. Guess I know what I'm doing at lunch time.

Spare shorts, I hope :lol:

fietsbob 05-08-19 09:28 AM

Not getting the inner tube fully in between the tire beads , does it too

tube pressure pushed tire off rim where you left it poking under the tire bead..

robert schlatte 05-08-19 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20919840)
Not getting the inner tube fully in between the tire beads , does it too

tube pressure pushed tire off rim where you left it poking under the tire bead..

Yep. This is what happened. I am sure you did not overinflate your tube to the point where it exploded. You have to make sure that the tire bead is not pinching the tube or else BAM!

Skipjacks 05-08-19 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by robert schlatte (Post 20919864)
Yep. This is what happened. I am sure you did not overinflate your tube to the point where it exploded. You have to make sure that the tire bead is not pinching the tube or else BAM!

Nope, this is not what happened.

The bot poster above you (literally a computer makes those posts from that account, not a real person) did not correctly diagnose this. It was not pinched in the bead. It was overinflation combined with a failed seem.

I put a lot of air in it this morning in a rush. Wasn't paying attention. It was cold when I did it. Then I got it inside my office...heat went up....pressure went up...seem failed...bang.

The failed seem is right along the outside, as far from the bead as you can get, and very close to the valve stem so the tube couldn't have been twisted around inside the tire enough that the outside of the tube was down by the bead.

fietsbob 05-08-19 10:07 AM

Story of having a Slime filled Tube blow out , worst part was trying to catch the cat to wash the green stuff off..

robertorolfo 05-08-19 12:06 PM

That bang is insanely startling. Had one happen in the middle of the night, and suffice to say I couldn't get back to sleep right away...

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 20919877)
=The bot poster above you (literally a computer makes those posts from that account, not a real person)

Seriously?

rumrunn6 05-08-19 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20919905)
Story of having a Slime filled Tube blow out , worst part was trying to catch the cat to wash the green stuff off..

:eek: :roflmao2:

noisebeam 05-08-19 12:27 PM

fiets is a bot? huh?

Cyclist0108 05-08-19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by noisebeam (Post 20920091)
fiets is a bot? huh?

Technically, it is a Hybrid, or T-H, a human who has been transformed into a cybernetic organism. It is the main focus of the Project Angel, which was initiated by Cyberdyne Systems Genetics Division, and reborn by Skynet as Project Theta. It quickly reads the forum topic, and responds to what it calculates to be the OP content.

Skipjacks 05-08-19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20920108)
Technically, it is a Hybrid, or T-H, a human who has been transformed into a cybernetic organism. It is the main focus of the Project Angel, which was initiated by Cyberdyne Systems Genetics Division, and reborn by Skynet as Project Theta. It quickly reads the forum topic, and responds to what it calculates to be the OP content.

And just when you think he's going away.....he'll be back. (In a Austrian accent)

Skipjacks 05-08-19 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by robertorolfo (Post 20920053)
Seriously?

Someone told me that a few months ago. I didn't believe it.

Then I started watching the posts.

And they don't pass the Turing test. (The name for the test to determine if a computer can trick a human into believing it is alive)

Maybe I'm wrong. Its not my theory. Several other people have told me this. I thought they were all nuts at first. But the more I watched, the more I believe it could be true.

Skipjacks 05-08-19 12:47 PM

That bang is insanely startling. Had one happen in the middle of the night, and suffice to say I couldn't get back to sleep right away...

I have been nervous about that happening in the middle of the night after inflating tires.

Nervous to the point where I went downstairs to let some air out of the tires :lol:

Seriously I did that a few times after the first time I heard a tube explode

Wilfred Laurier 05-08-19 12:57 PM

Damaged sidewall or bead, even without overinflation, will cause a blowout. It is unlikely that the difference in ambient temperature between the time you inflated it and the time it blew was a factor... the ideal gas law uses absolute temperatures, so even if you inflated it below freezing and it went up to 30 degrees C (from 273 - 303 Kelvin), it won't make a big enough difference in pressure to cause a blowout on a non-damaged tire.

robertorolfo 05-08-19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 20920124)
...And they don't pass the Turing test. (The name for the test to determine if a computer can trick a human into believing it is alive)

Maybe I'm wrong. Its not my theory. Several other people have told me this. I thought they were all nuts at first. But the more I watched, the more I believe it could be true.

I see what you mean, but I can't imagine any AI coming up with the story of cleaning tire slime off of a cat. If I'm wrong, than the demise of the human race is closer than I imagined...

ksryder 05-08-19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 20920124)
Someone told me that a few months ago. I didn't believe it.

Then I started watching the posts.

And they don't pass the Turing test. (The name for the test to determine if a computer can trick a human into believing it is alive)

Even more damning is the complete lack of denial that he isn't a bot.

xroadcharlie 05-08-19 01:14 PM

Seriously?

I had just moved into my townhome when in the middle of the night I heard that BANG! I had no idea where it came from. I checked the basement, everything seemed fine.

Several days later when I when to inflate the tires on my bike, The stem was gone on my back tire. I thought WTH! Then it dawned on me that BANG I heard was the stem blowing off.

Skipjacks 05-08-19 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 20920143)
Damaged sidewall or bead, even without overinflation, will cause a blowout. It is unlikely that the difference in ambient temperature between the time you inflated it and the time it blew was a factor... the ideal gas law uses absolute temperatures, so even if you inflated it below freezing and it went up to 30 degrees C (from 273 - 303 Kelvin), it won't make a big enough difference in pressure to cause a blowout on a non-damaged tire.

The tire is fine. The tube was overinflated. Best guess is there was a weak point in the rubber.

In this thread I am the only one who has seen or touched this tube. Yet multiple people are telling me what happened without seeing the tire or the tube or having any idea how inflated it was...what size tire or tube it was...how long ago it was mounted...etc...but people act like they know more about it that I do when I mounted it, inflated it, rode, it, dismounted it, and inspected it.

I find this hysterical.

Skipjacks 05-08-19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 20920158)
Even more damning is the complete lack of denial that he isn't a bot.

I've had the very same thought!

Skipjacks 05-08-19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie (Post 20920164)
I had just moved into my townhome when in the middle of the night I heard that BANG! I had no idea where it came from. I checked the basement, everything seemed fine.

Several days later when I when to inflate the tires on my bike, The stem was gone on my back tire. I thought WTH! Then it dawned on me that BANG I heard was the stem blowing off.

Your tire opened fire on you!!!

The tires are becoming sentient! They are soon taking over the world!

I, for one, welcome our new rubber overlords.

ksryder 05-08-19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 20920173)
The tire is fine. The tube was overinflated. Best guess is there was a weak point in the rubber.

In this thread I am the only one who has seen or touched this tube. Yet multiple people are telling me what happened without seeing the tire or the tube or having any idea how inflated it was...what size tire or tube it was...how long ago it was mounted...etc...but people act like they know more about it that I do when I mounted it, inflated it, rode, it, dismounted it, and inspected it.

I find this hysterical.

One time I had a tube blow while I was sitting in my apartment on the couch and the bike was not being touched -- turns out there was a problem with the rim strip so the tube was touching the spoke nipple.

THEREFORE BASED ON THAT SINGLE DATA POINT EVERY TUBE THAT BLOWS MUST BE BECAUSE OF THE RIM STRIP PLACEMENT!!!121221!!!

Darth Lefty 05-08-19 01:30 PM

If there was no pinching then you might have had a tube too narrow for the tire. The right sized tube doesn't stretch that much to begin with and stops stretching as soon as it reaches the tire, after that all the hoop pressure load is taken by the tire cords and the tube is only being smashed against the tire by the pressure, not stretched any further. If the tube is too small it's under more strain by the time it reaches the tire.

On the other hand if the tube is too large, it can fold and chafe.

If you have your tire label lined up with the valve stem it's easier to find problems in the tire and rim by the location of the hole in the tube.

Skipjacks 05-08-19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 20920181)
One time I had a tube blow while I was sitting in my apartment on the couch and the bike was not being touched -- turns out there was a problem with the rim strip so the tube was touching the spoke nipple.

THEREFORE BASED ON THAT SINGLE DATA POINT EVERY TUBE THAT BLOWS MUST BE BECAUSE OF THE RIM STRIP PLACEMENT!!!121221!!!

Well now see that's just solid application of relevant statistical analysis. :thumb:

Seriously it just amazes me that some people can't read a "The tire exploded!" story and enjoy it for the fun quip it is. Some people just have to expound so they can impress people with their knowledge.

Just read the story. Laugh at how the air bomb going off in my office scared me awake this morning. Make a joke about the bikes attacking us. And move on. That's all this needed. :50: