Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   How Narrow? 26” Steel MTB to Commuter Conversio (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1150640)

Jimithing616 07-24-18 09:31 AM

How Narrow? 26” Steel MTB to Commuter Conversio

Hey all,

I am new to the forum but not new to bikes or bike mechanics.

I no longer work in the bike industry so I can’t just try out some tires from what we have in stock

so, I’m gonna ask and see what’s worked for everyone here

converting a 26” Steel MTB to a commuter.

how narrow have you guys gone when selecting slick or road/hybrid style 26” tires for your original mountain rims.

The wheels I currently have to play with have rims that are all around 23-28mm wide. Standard late 80’s and early 90’s equipment ... Araya RM-20 is one for example

I’m looking at some 26x1.5 but I’ve also seen narrower tires available (obviously the really narrow ones are made for the true 26er road bikes)

If anyone has any real world experience riding the 1.5’s on similar wheels/rims I’d love to hear how it worked out and any pros and cons

thanks!

HardyWeinberg 07-24-18 10:33 AM

I stick w/ 2.0" slicks or even 60mm ones. I prefer them at lower pressures for my kind of awful roads over 1.5" tires at higher pressure.

no motor? 07-24-18 12:37 PM

1.5" for me

blakcloud 07-24-18 12:47 PM

I wouldn't go less than 1.5 on the rims you listed. I did use 1.25 Specialized Fatboys but they were horrible for commuting. Too many flats.

fietsbob 07-24-18 12:56 PM

Next question, How Much you got to spend per tire?

The VBQ -Compass Cycles / tyres cult loves the ride of those tires , but they're expensive..

and the VBQ self published tests of them suggest wider can still be fast.

But they puncture like a light tire would.

BobbyG 07-24-18 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jimithing616 (Post 20466540)
Hey all,

I am new to the forum but not new to bikes or bike mechanics.

I no longer work in the bike industry so I can’t just try out some tires from what we have in stock

so, I’m gonna ask and see what’s worked for everyone here

converting a 26” Steel MTB to a commuter.

how narrow have you guys gone when selecting slick or road/hybrid style 26” tires for your original mountain rims.

The wheels I currently have to play with have rims that are all around 23-28mm wide. Standard late 80’s and early 90’s equipment ... Araya RM-20 is one for example

I’m looking at some 26x1.5 but I’ve also seen narrower tires available (obviously the really narrow ones are made for the true 26er road bikes)

If anyone has any real world experience riding the 1.5’s on similar wheels/rims I’d love to hear how it worked out and any pros and cons

thanks!

I rode one point fives for a couple of years before going back up to 1.75 and now 1.85. The one point fives were not any faster, and too harsh for my taste. But I didn't have any problems with mounting or anything like that, but I don't know how wide my rims are. For what it's worth, the 1.85 slicks are very supple and seem to be the fastest tires I've had on that bike, although they don't feel fast.

rhm 07-25-18 09:18 AM

I have used 26" tires down to 28 mm or something. Primo Comet, I think; there's a tire I will never buy again unless very desperate indeed. I've had good luck with Panaracer Paselas that were 32 mm. But now I've gone the other way, and am running Compass Rat Trap Pass on my bike with 26" wheels (53 mm last time I measured).

carlos danger 07-25-18 01:07 PM

I'd run 25 up front a 28 in the rear. something similar to conti gp4k or schwalbe marathon supreme.
I've also ran a 50 out back and 40-45 up front with great success. I'd say to really use a 50 out back you want wide rim. maybe 25-30mm wide inside the breads.
It should support the tire very good sideways.

With a schwalbe marathon supreme 50 out back and a conti 40mm up front i felt like i had "unlimted grip" in corners. and i mean unlimited. i could lay the bike down until the pedals scraped the ground.

But these are much slower or at least feel much slower than lets say 28-30mm tire. and goind 25 turns stuff really uncomfortable really fast. I can like with a conti gp4k out back in 28 (real measured is 31mm) but i ride on comfy high grade ti and steel frames. ymmv.

JanMM 07-25-18 09:09 PM

Running 1.5"/40mm Schwalbe Marathon Racers on my commuter bike with 20"/406 and 26"/559 Velocity wheels with 18.6 inner width Aeroheat rims. Narrower than OPs rims, I think. 50/80 F/R psi.

Papa Tom 07-26-18 04:54 AM

I have used 1.5 Specialized Nimbus tires on my 26" MTB and they sit just fine on the rim. For commuting and overnighting with bags, I prefer the ride of a wider slick, though. A 1.5 on a mountain bike rides pretty hard, in my opinion.

no motor? 07-26-18 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 20467912)
I rode one point fives for a couple of years before going back up to 1.75 and now 1.85. The one point fives were not any faster, and too harsh for my taste. But I didn't have any problems with mounting or anything like that, but I don't know how wide my rims are. For what it's worth, the 1.85 slicks are very supple and seem to be the fastest tires I've had on that bike, although they don't feel fast.

They do ride hard. My next set of tires will likely be wider, I love the way the Town and Country 26x1.95 floated over things but they were really heavy.

bigbenaugust 07-26-18 12:54 PM

My first 26" commuter (Trek 4500), I kept on 1.9/1.95/2.0s most of the time.
The one I built from scratch (Nashbar MTB frame), I favored 1.5s, but tried 1.75s and 1.25s also. The 1.25s rode so badly, they came off almost immediately.
This Trek SU100 I have now came with 26x1.95s on it, but I'd rather have 1.75 tires to narrow it up just a little, but still have some give for bad roads and occasional gravel-road jaunts.

Chris Chicago 07-26-18 09:22 PM

The forte metros from performance bike are great tires for a low price. I wish they made them wider than 1.5 bc they are light and supple. Sadly if you want to go wider and stay light, price starts to shoot up. But they are pretty plush even at 1.5

tFUnK 07-27-18 04:00 AM

You can go 1.25 or 1.5 but as many have stated, you're better off going a bit wider.

dabac 07-27-18 04:35 AM

I’ve used two sets of 1” wide, Geax street runner and hutchinson top slick.
the hutchinson rolled like a dream but had issues with the pressure needed to avoid pinch flats when riding with a pannier.
The Geax were absolute beasts to mount, but could manage the pressure. Although they did ride hard.
Lately I’ve been using Conti Sport Contact in 1.1-1.3”.
They’re good enough to the point where I don’t think about them.

schiavonec 07-27-18 08:40 PM

i use 2.0" schwalbe landcruisers on my current commuter favorite khs montagne 26er. I have a mixed on/off road, bikepath, sidewalk and roads with lots if glass commute and they work well, but are heavy.

I used to race xc back when 26 was the only choice, and threw on some 1.25" for road miles. Cheap performance house brand. Did lots of miles, on paved and packed dirt. They were great on the road, but as things got bumpy, they became less comfy.

All said, i think some schwalbe marathons (some variant) in 1 3/8, or 1.5s are in my future.

my 700c cyclocross is so much more efficient and cuts ~4 minutes off my time for 3.5 miles vs dedicated commuter with same energy output. not quite appkes to apples, but the weight and wheels really make a difference.

alias5000 07-28-18 07:06 AM

Tires make a big difference. I did try 26x1.1 schwalbe durano tires on my commuter (100psi), which almost turned it into a full-on road bike, speed-wise. But the ride was so harsh that I moved away from them.
I put them on my fully suspended recumbent two days ago, let's see how they do there. Coming from marathon Supremes and the speed difference seems staggering from my first few short rides.

skidder 07-28-18 12:40 PM

The wheels I use are from a early 1990s Mongoose IBOC, and they have Araya TM-18 rims on them (not sure how wide). I use Serfas Drifter 26 x 1.5 tires on them and they meet my needs - puncture resistant and easy to get on-and-off the rim when changing them. Not sure how well they behave when fixing flats at the side of the road since I haven't had any since I started using them a few years ago. :thumb: About $30/each at REI. And they also come in a 26 x 2.0 size. I'm happy with them and will keep buying them.

fietsbob 07-28-18 12:57 PM

30+ years ago a guy in Santa Cruz built bikes, He dumpster dived behind the Specialized bike HQ
and pulled out a bunch of 40 hole road bike rims ..
took them home, the cut out the right amount , and rolled them down to a MTB diameter ..

and the lightweight MTB race rim was born.. Now you can find them in big factories
made from the beginning.. to be such..

then you can mount thin tires..

otherwise tire width should not be narrower than the rim
you are putting them on..

jetta_mike 07-30-18 09:33 AM

Personally I'd say go as fat as possible. I was running Spesh Nimbus Armidillo's in 1.5 and have recently switched to Conti City RIde II's. They are listed as a 1.75 inch/42mm width but actiully measure out to 1.95 inch/49mm and I whole heartedly love them.

ThermionicScott 07-30-18 06:55 PM

@Jimithing616, my primary commuter is also an old steel mountain bike. I originally built it up with 1.5"/38mm tires, but have gone to 42mm tires, and would go wider if I had the clearance. Disabuse yourself of the old notion that skinnier tires are faster! :)

Jimithing616 07-30-18 08:53 PM

Well! Thank you for the wealth of info

Thanks for the wealth of info guys

I have owned 60-80 bikes over the last 10 years but I have never put slicks on an steel frame rigid MTB - aside from the Michelin country rock 1.75’s that came on my MB-1 when I got it... and I like them fine... they just feel slow

i think I am going to at least try a 1.5 or a 1.4

I mention 1.4 as there seems to be a good option at CRC on sale. The Michelin Wild Runner? Anyone have any experience... definitely a slick and maybe not comfy

the other option I am considering is the Schwalbe silento which is a 1.75

I like that it has puncture resistance and it seems like a decently reviewed tire on CRC

I dont want to spend a lot which is why I’m shopping deals at CRC....

im thinking the Schwalbe Silento is the route I will take as I have always been a Schwalbe fan. When I managed a bike shop a few years ago people seemed to like them for MTB and Fat bike uses ... road uses most people here in MN stuck with Conti’s, which I have always like too! The Town and Country by them is also an option but is a few bucks more than the Schwalbe and I’m not sure it’s any better!

Thanks again

noglider 07-31-18 09:07 AM

@Jimithing616, yes, I have the Michelin Wild Run'R in the 1.4 size, though I haven't ridden it much yet. So far, it seems extremely comfortable, even though it's narrow. Maybe the sidewall is supple, which could explain it.

chas58 08-02-18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jimithing616 (Post 20466540)

thanks!

Well, for me it is mostly about weight. For commuting, something between 32 and 42 seems ideal. More than that is just excess weight - although some value a slower cushier ride over acceleration.

I have some 28" gatorskins (and similar). That is a bit too harsh, too skinny and just looks to ugly for me. ~1.5 seems to be the sweet spot for me - able to handle rough roads and some curb jumping, but without the overkill of a fatter tire.

On the flip side, if you don't care about speed or acceleration - I have some schwalbe 60mm tires that roll wonderfully smooth. Not much rolling resistance either.

zucchiniboy 08-10-18 10:16 AM

I'm running Forte Metro tires, 26 x 1.5 on an early 90s Giant MTB and they've been fantastic. Before that it was 1.5" WTB Slickasaurus tires. Been using that size for over ten years, and they work pretty great for San Francisco streets. When these run out, I might consider 2.0", but just for kicks and for more small off road options.