Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Build and quick review of my Pivot Vault (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1180857)

Le Mechanic 08-11-19 07:04 PM

Build and quick review of my Pivot Vault

I got a Pivot Vault a couple days ago and made a video of the build process. So far my impressions are this bike is awesome!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn5t...ature=youtu.be

PickleRick 08-12-19 07:22 AM

Sweet!!... You should have a lot of fun on that rig.
Curious, what other grave bikes were on your shortlist before you decided on the Vault?

sweetspot 08-12-19 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic (Post 21070844)
I got a Pivot Vault a couple days ago and made a video of the build process. So far my impressions are this bike is awesome!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn5t...ature=youtu.be

I have read many good things about isoflex but none about how much compliance offers front. Can you tell us your subjective opinion about the front comfort?

superdex 08-12-19 11:44 AM

what roads are you on in the video? We're neighbors (in a relative sense) --

Le Mechanic 08-12-19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by PickleRick (Post 21071377)
Sweet!!... You should have a lot of fun on that rig.
Curious, what other grave bikes were on your shortlist before you decided on the Vault?

I basically had to get a bike that our shop sells, as it's a demo bike that I get to ride for a year, then we sell it. Our shop sells Trek, Yeti, and Pivot. Originally I was going to get a Checkpoint, but there are no models with carbon wheels or top tier component packages. I also thought about a Domane, but I wanted something that would accept a bigger tire. The Pivot Vault only has a couple of build kits that I know of, but I really dug the Sram Force AXS group and the Reynolds ATR wheels, so that's what I went with. I just took it on a big ride today. So far, I really like it!

Le Mechanic 08-12-19 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by sweetspot (Post 21071429)
I have read many good things about isoflex but none about how much compliance offers front. Can you tell us your subjective opinion about the front comfort?

It felt good. I did an almost 5-hour ride today on it mostly gravel and dirt roads with a decent amount of semi-rough single track and compared to my home-built Chromoly bike with a carbon fork, it felt like it absorbed much more vibration than what I was used to. I felt better in the shoulder/neck area than when I do a 5-hour road ride.

Le Mechanic 08-12-19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by superdex (Post 21071823)
what roads are you on in the video? We're neighbors (in a relative sense) --

That's the Highline canal trail and some of the single track side trails. I rode it some more today plus the East/West trail and some of the gravel stuff at the Cherry Creek state park.

superdex 08-13-19 08:57 AM

all in the heart of town -- you did a good job of making it look inviting!

PickleRick 08-13-19 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic (Post 21072258)
I basically had to get a bike that our shop sells, as it's a demo bike that I get to ride for a year, then we sell it.....

Ahhhh, OK , the old story of "I'm forced to ride the really cool bike that my employer imposes on me." Well sir, I would not stand for that, in fact, I would sit right down on that excellent bike and ride the bejeezus out of it.
Enjoy! :)

sweetspot 08-17-19 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic (Post 21072277)
It felt good. I did an almost 5-hour ride today on it mostly gravel and dirt roads with a decent amount of semi-rough single track and compared to my home-built Chromoly bike with a carbon fork, it felt like it absorbed much more vibration than what I was used to. I felt better in the shoulder/neck area than when I do a 5-hour road ride.

great to hear! I have one additional question regarding tire clearance. Do you think that Vault will take 700x50c tire both front and rear? On their official site Pivot is saying that this bike takes up to 700x47c so it should be doable?

Le Mechanic 08-18-19 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by sweetspot (Post 21079957)
great to hear! I have one additional question regarding tire clearance. Do you think that Vault will take 700x50c tire both front and rear? On their official site Pivot is saying that this bike takes up to 700x47c so it should be doable?

Possibly. I guess it depends on the tire manufacturer, because they vary a little bit in actual measured size, but I have the stock 40mm tires on the bike now and there is plenty of room around the tires. Probably something like 8-10mm at the closest points.

b0rderline 08-22-19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic (Post 21080499)
Possibly. I guess it depends on the tire manufacturer, because they vary a little bit in actual measured size, but I have the stock 40mm tires on the bike now and there is plenty of room around the tires. Probably something like 8-10mm at the closest points.

Cool! I am also interested in Vault frame. Can you measure for me the distance between chainstays in the widest point near the bottom bracket and also in the point between fork legs close to the headtube? I need a very specific data to properly evaluate this bike tire clearance.
Thank you!

Le Mechanic 08-24-19 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by b0rderline (Post 21086800)
Cool! I am also interested in Vault frame. Can you measure for me the distance between chainstays in the widest point near the bottom bracket and also in the point between fork legs close to the headtube? I need a very specific data to properly evaluate this bike tire clearance.
Thank you!

I'm getting about the same measurement on the fork and chainstays where the diameter of the tire passes through (700c wheel). It's also the widest point. 61.6mm is what I'm getting on my digital calipers.

b0rderline 08-24-19 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic (Post 21090196)
I'm getting about the same measurement on the fork and chainstays where the diameter of the tire passes through (700c wheel). It's also the widest point. 61.6mm is what I'm getting on my digital calipers.

Thank you very much! It looks like 47c is a resonable choice with that frame but 50c could be like one size too far :)