Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Rockshox U-Turn? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=356487)

jeff^d 10-24-07 12:53 PM

Rockshox U-Turn?

Anyone have experience with the u-turn system? I'm debating if it's worth the 1/2 pound on a Reba Team. With my riding conditions (mix of XC, AM, etc etc) I could go either way, it just sounds sorta fun to play with. I'm wondering if the u-turn adds complexity that might shorten the life of the fork. This'll be my second new fork in 8 years...I'd like to keep it awhile. Thanks.

hills 10-24-07 02:11 PM

I love my U-Turn on the pike, its great if you have different riding styles like me, sometimes a bit of street, sometimes trail riding. i really have no regrets buying it.

the only problem i have ever had was the U-turn knob seizing up, but all it took was a little oil under the twister, and problem solved.

pm63 10-24-07 02:35 PM

What is u turn?

hills 10-24-07 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by pm63 (Post 5514423)
What is u turn?

travel adjust.

andrefulci 10-24-07 05:34 PM

After many rocky miles, the U-Turn feature is still working perfectly on my 2005 Pike. I like the adjustment option for different trails because there's quite a variety of terrain in my neck of the woods. You need to be wary of your frame geometry, however. Some frames can only handle 20mm of travel adjustment before you start running into handling and structural issues. Check the manufacturer specs to be sure. If you're comfy with a set travel and the trails you ride are the same terrain, or if you're bike isn't designed with a wide travel adjustment in mind, then you probably don't need it. Otherwise, I say go for it!

FF 6800 10-24-07 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by andrefulci (Post 5515446)
After many rocky miles, the U-Turn feature is still working perfectly on my 2005 Pike. I like the adjustment option for different trails because there's quite a variety of terrain in my neck of the woods. You need to be wary of your frame geometry, however. Some frames can only handle 20mm of travel adjustment before you start running into handling and structural issues. Check the manufacturer specs to be sure. If you're comfy with a set travel and the trails you ride are the same terrain, or if you're bike isn't designed with a wide travel adjustment in mind, then you probably don't need it. Otherwise, I say go for it!

yep i have to agree. i have an '06 pike and its great. can be a little tedious dropping it from 140 to 95 if you are riding, but i hardly ever do that. i would also suggest you go for it. rockshox makes great forks

nathank 10-25-07 02:50 AM

i have never heard of problems with the U-Turn. as far as i know it is simply a little more weight and a little more $$.

i have a Pike Coil U-Turn where i convert my hardtail from Freeride mode with 67 degree steering angle to Street/Trails mode increasing the steering angle by about 2 1/4 degrees (> 69) - simply super!

i also have a Domain with U-Turn on my Big Freeride bike where i use the U-Turn for climbing because with the fork extended the steering angle is like 66 degrees so climbing is no fun (after U-Turn angle about 68 degress which is tolerable)

as opposed to other systems and especially lock-outs, the U-Turn system is really nice in that it does not affect the hardness/rebound/compression and does not seem to have anything to break (like Fox lockouts that stop working or my Marzocchi ETA sometimes would act funny)

if you need it, it's great!