Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Thoughts on ASSOS? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176023)

Princess_Allez 06-18-19 01:05 PM

Thoughts on ASSOS?

I'm looking at picking up some new gear. I live and ride in Socal, which means 90°+F summers. I'm looking at either the RS or the SS jerseys and their new s9 bibshort. Any input on these items would be of great value; before I pull the trigger.

I'm a 5'7" height, 165lb, 40" chested dude (for clarification :lol:). I seem to be in between sizing (M/L). I'm not skinny, but nor do I have a gut; a medium build. I'm leaning towards a size L in jersey knowing that they are aero/race cut.

tagaproject6 06-18-19 01:12 PM

Good stuff :thumb: You’ll be hard pressed to find anything wrong with Assos

Tycho Brahe 06-18-19 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez (Post 20984810)
I live and ride in Socal, which means 90°+F summers.

As a fellow SoCal resident, I would love to see these 90°+F summers. Today's high is 71, and the max in the next 10 days is 78. Great riding weather, my tan lines are crisp.

Dan333SP 06-18-19 01:57 PM

ASSOS makes BIG $ kit. That's my only input here.

Clipped_in 06-18-19 02:04 PM

Really nice kit! Very expensive kit. Some good deals can be found here: Assos Outlet

sour01 06-18-19 02:04 PM

Love my Assos bibs. Have 3 pairs that are about 8 years old and just bought 2 pairs of the equipe s7.

downhillmaster 06-18-19 02:15 PM

What’s not to like about ASSOS?
Elite cycling gear for the discriminating cyclist.
The product care instructions on their website are not to be missed.
If you are not into hand washing your soiled workout gear you do have the option to machine wash them by themselves, on gentle cycle, in a laundry bag.
Then make sure not to soak, spin, wring or rub them.
Gently squeeze excess water out by hand and hang dry. But never in direct sunlight ofc!
:thumb:

datlas 06-18-19 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dan333SP (Post 20984892)
ASSOS makes BIG $ kit. That's my only input here.

Kudos.

Princess_Allez 06-18-19 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by sour01 (Post 20984909)
Love my Assos bibs. Have 3 pairs that are about 8 years old and just bought 2 pairs of the equipe s7.

Are these the best value bibs from Assos?

Princess_Allez 06-18-19 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 20984928)
What’s not to like about ASSOS?
Elite cycling gear for the discriminating cyclist.
If you are not into hand washing your soiled workout gear you do have the option to machine wash them by themselves, on gentle cycle, in a laundry bag.
Gently squeeze excess water out by hand and hang dry. But never in direct sunlight ofc!

That's a lot of care for a garment. I do use woolite on the gentle/hand wash cycle. I suppose I can start putting my gear in a laundry bag.

Princess_Allez 06-18-19 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Clipped_in (Post 20984907)
Really nice kit! Very expensive kit. Some good deals can be found here: Assos Outlet

Thanks. Which of these bibs would you suggest?

MSchott 06-18-19 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez (Post 20985112)
That's a lot of care for a garment. I do use woolite on the gentle/hand wash cycle. I suppose I can start putting my gear in a laundry bag.

I’d guess the reason for the laundry bag is to keep printing from wearing out prematurely. Or Assos is making sure their clothing wears for a long time. Personally I think it’s overkill. I used to hand wash all my cycling clothing in Woolite. Now they go in the laundry with the rest of my clothes. They probably wear out quicker but I’m too lazy.

Dan333SP 06-19-19 04:39 AM

The thing with my cycling kit that wears the fastest are the two sit points on the fabric covering the chamois. All of my bibs from various brands eventually wear through there due to friction, no amount of washing care can prevent that.

bruce19 06-19-19 05:42 AM

After 40 years of Castelli, PI, Santini, etc. I bought a pair of Assos bibs about 3 yrs ago. On sale of course. Perfect for me. Now almost all my kit is Assos. Again, all on sale. Truly awesome stuff.

Beach Bob 06-19-19 07:12 AM

My experience with Assos is limited to one set of kit. Not a big fan of the jersey, but I'd say that the bibs are the best I own for long rides.

motosonic 06-19-19 09:31 AM

They're the Luis Vuitton of cycling apparel. It's good stuff. But in my opinion, the cost is excessive.

firebird854 06-19-19 09:59 AM

Their name is weird, that's my thought...

teejaywhy 06-19-19 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 20984928)

They must be cheaply made.

Dean V 06-19-19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by motosonic (Post 20986073)
they're the luis vuitton of cycling apparel. It's good stuff. But in my opinion, the cost is excessive.

+1

ddub 06-19-19 02:37 PM

Absolutely the best bibs I have worn. And they last. Like saddles and helmets etc are a personal thing. I've tried many to find what worked best for me. T-Cento S7 bibs. Search the swissiconic.com web site, it's their overstock type store. Even from UK the ship time is quick.

shelbyfv 06-19-19 02:46 PM

The bibs/shorts are popular with both men and women in my cycling group. Several have reported that they can turn a brownish color when they age. FWIW.

bruce19 06-20-19 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by motosonic (Post 20986073)
They're the Luis Vuitton of cycling apparel. It's good stuff. But in my opinion, the cost is excessive.

OTOH, if you are like me, when you go through several brands that end up not working out....that cost is excessive.

Garfield Cat 06-20-19 06:42 AM

Assos: the padded inserts

https://road.cc/content/review/22275...tmilleshortss7

HPL 06-20-19 07:09 AM

Assos Saddles, same company?

Hi,
I've got an Assos saddle (35 yrs old) on my ALAN (also 35 yrs), is this the same company as the clothing manufacturer? I'm not to discerning on most cycle wear gear since I tend to prefer a regular cotton T (long sleeves because I burn, not tan) unless I'm in some sort of informal completion. I am planning on starting racing this coming year when I have reached a reasonable condition, and I will be in the market for some COOL (temperature wise) shirts; presently using Hincapie (spelling?) bibs which seem decent for my general riding up to about 25 miles. I really don't like bibs for longer rides, probably just my body style. Anyways, I'll be doing TT's to start so mileage not an issue with bottoms; I just want a very comfortable and cool top. I'll look at the previously posted feedback/references for that info, my main query was about the saddle.

Thanks,

bruce19 06-20-19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by HPL (Post 20987544)
Anyways, I'll be doing TT's to start so mileage not an issue with bottoms; I just want a very comfortable and cool top.
Thanks,

If you are doing TTs you will want "race fit" jerseys. Think body paint. There are some good ones out there. Some are pricey. I happen to love Assos but that's just me.