Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   2.3 to 2.5 Maxxis Minions (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1204171)

WannaGetGood 06-09-20 05:47 PM

2.3 to 2.5 Maxxis Minions

Has anyone gone up in tire size and found out it was a good choice? My tires will need replacement soon and my buddy has suggested I increase my tire size, at least my front.

Kapusta 06-10-20 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by WannaGetGood (Post 21524905)
Has anyone gone up in tire size and found out it was a good choice? My tires will need replacement soon and my buddy has suggested I increase my tire size, at least my front.

Which minions? DHF? DHR? Front? Rear? What wheel size?

Some models size up small (my 2.5 is really a 2.3), other are true to size.

WannaGetGood 06-10-20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 21525750)
Which minions? DHF? DHR? Front? Rear? What wheel size?

Some models size up small (my 2.5 is really a 2.3), other are true to size.

I run DHFs on both front and back and 27's. I think I am going to go bigger, at least in the front, I am just curious to see if others have jumped and have any advice to give.

Kapusta 06-10-20 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by WannaGetGood (Post 21526451)
I run DHFs on both front and back and 27's. I think I am going to go bigger, at least in the front, I am just curious to see if others have jumped and have any advice to give.

OK. I hear the 27.5s measure up fairly accurate.

I'm running a "supposedly" 2.5 DHF on the front of my 26" bike, but in reality it is a 2.3 (identical in size to the 2.3 Aggressor I run in the rear, and several other 2.3s I've run). I'm OK with the size, but I do wish it was just a tad bigger. Over the years I've always gone for 2.4-2.5 in the front. Then a few years back someone highly recommended the Butcher in 2.3. I was at first a bit dubious of the smaller size, but it ended up being the best tire I had ever run in the front. The DHF I have now is the same size, and I like it even more. Not sure if I like them in spite of their size or because of it.

In your shoes, I would probably try the 2.5 in the front, especially if you have the rim width for it. I find 2.3's as big as I ever really need in the rear. I never ran a DHF back there, I usually go for something a little faster.

plipperpete 06-11-20 02:59 PM

I would go up in size or even try the new Assegai 2.5 if I were you. Just make sure that you aren't putting a 2.5 tire on a 21mm internal rim - too much squirm and you are better off with the 2.3. Ideally 27-30mm for the 2.5. Maxxis' new WT tires are definitely true to size.

Kapusta 06-11-20 04:47 PM

I would not think twice about running a 2.5 on a 21mm rim. A wider rim is definitely better, but if you want to try a wider tire, go for it. People were running 2.5s on 21mm rims (or narrower) for many years.

qclabrat 06-12-20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by WannaGetGood (Post 21524905)

What internal rim width are you running? Depending on your preference you may like rounded or squared off tire profiles.

WannaGetGood 06-12-20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by qclabrat (Post 21530974)
What internal rim width are you running? Depending on your preference you may like rounded or squared off tire profiles.

I have Spank Oozy Trail 345 Rims, 30mm inners. I don't know if the profile will matter so much as how they perform. I would like to be able to blast through rough stuff a little faster, which I hope the tires can help a tad.

Kapusta 06-13-20 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by WannaGetGood (Post 21531067)
I have Spank Oozy Trail 345 Rims, 30mm inners. I don't know if the profile will matter so much as how they perform. I would like to be able to blast through rough stuff a little faster, which I hope the tires can help a tad.

Yeah, with 30mm rims I would definitely want to try a 2.5.

As far as blasting through rough stuff faster? Maybe, or maybe not. Look at what Enduro and DH racers are running, and you see mostly 2.3 through 2.5. So some are finding 2.3 faster, some 2.5. There are a lot of factors going into what works best. You probably won't really know unless you try it.

WannaGetGood 06-13-20 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 21531659)
Yeah, with 30mm rims I would definitely want to try a 2.5.

As far as blasting through rough stuff faster? Maybe, or maybe not. Look at what Enduro and DH racers are running, and you see mostly 2.3 through 2.5. So some are finding 2.3 faster, some 2.5. There are a lot of factors going into what works best. You probably won't really know unless you try it.

Trying it is what I am going to do. I hope by a 2.5 in the front and 2.4 or 2.3 in the rear, I can have more control in the front. I run 2 DHFs now, so Im hoping by putting on a DHR in the rear, I lower my rolling resistance and hopefully coming out even with the set up I had before. But time will tell!

Leebo 06-15-20 09:08 AM

I run a 2.5 DHF front, and a 2.4 aggressor rear. Just as good as the DHR, imho. rolls better than the dhr. A little flatter profile knobs, only trade off is mud, which I tend not to ride in.