Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Paint Stripes Totally Effective... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1224283)

BobbyG 02-22-21 01:53 PM

Paint Stripes Totally Effective...

There are many cyclists who feel that the paint stripes that separate bike lanes from motorized traffic can't possibly stop a car from crossing over into the bike lane.

Well, on my bike ride this morning I saw plenty of cars who seemed to be unable to cross a painted line. Of course they were lane markers and center lines. And whether it was yellow or white, single or double many, many cars were unable to move over, even slightly, to pass safely, even when no other vehicles were in sight. I wish they would treat the bike lane stripes the same way.

By the way, many of the bike lanes here in Colorado Springs were still covered in ice in shady areas, so I did a little more riding in the roadway than usual...taking the lane when necessary, and even pulling over and putting a foot down to let traffic pass if there was a long line.

All in all it was a very nice ride with temps climbing from 45F to 60F by the end. There were plenty of courteous, thoughtful drivers as well, and even a couple of "nice-holes" who threw off my rhythm by yielding when they had the right of way.

Troul 02-22-21 02:00 PM

until you have the pleasure of riding in Michigan on the east/southern side.

indyfabz 02-22-21 02:17 PM

You'd need one helluva stripe to be able to physically stop a car from crossing into a bike lane.

P.S.: A&S.

pdlamb 02-22-21 04:34 PM

Perhaps we should ride on the left side of the road, after all. I've seen the phenomenon OP described, often by the same lovely drivers who'll drag their lawn service trailer's right wheel across the fog line or bike lane demarcation line all the way out of sight.

Iride01 02-22-21 04:40 PM

Yeah, I hate it when they give up their right-a-way. Usually screws up my careful planning to pass safely behind them and then I wind up having to stop and wait for twenty cars before there is another opportunity for me.

burnthesheep 02-23-21 02:39 PM

You could invent a change to the rumble strip mandrel meant for car roadsides that wake you from sleep to be bike safe for merging over them. You'd have to modify the shape a bit, but sure you could do it.

Then it would make a right nice noise or vibe in your car, but a bike could still move out in the road to ride or turn left if desired.

I find people offend the bike lane line to speed around corners and take more lane to go faster.

Vismund B 02-25-21 02:59 PM

I saw someone full on drive in the bike lane to get to a parking space before someone else could.

genejockey 02-25-21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21936502)
Yeah, I hate it when they give up their right-a-way. Usually screws up my careful planning to pass safely behind them and then I wind up having to stop and wait for twenty cars before there is another opportunity for me.

Like when you carefully adjust your approach to a stop sign so they'll go and you can just slow to a crawl, but they won't go. And they don't realize I can't see their stupid hand waving behind their highly reflective windshield.

I say, "Don't try to be nice. Be predictable."

Troul 02-25-21 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21941793)
Like when you carefully adjust your approach to a stop sign so they'll go and you can just slow to a crawl, but they won't go. And they don't realize I can't see their stupid hand waving behind their highly reflective windshield.

Right. I'm expecting the general driving population to not look nor see me. Therefore, I expect the driver to remain as predictable to such poor expectations. The bar is set low on purpose. It would benefit us cyclists if the drivers just carry on as they were.

genejockey 02-25-21 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 21941813)
Right. I'm expecting the general driving population to not look nor see me. Therefore, I expect the driver to remain as predictable to such poor expectations. The bar is set low on purpose. It would benefit us cyclists if the drivers just carry on as they were.

It's especially a problem if I make it totally obvious I want and expect them to take their turn and they just...SIT THERE. Oblivious to head wags, or even to my obviously waving them through.

Troul 02-25-21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21941825)
It's especially a problem if I make it totally obvious I want and expect them to take their turn and they just...SIT THERE. Oblivious to head wags, or even to my obviously waving them through.

Don't move! He can't see you, if you don't move - Dr. Alan Grant

Even tho it wasn't accurate, it does seem to apply for drivers.

Doug64 02-25-21 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21941793)

Better yet, stop at the stop sign. If you don't stop and put your foot down, how is the driver going to know what you are going to do.

genejockey 02-25-21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Doug64 (Post 21942032)
Better yet, stop at the stop sign. If you don't stop and put your foot down, how is the driver going to know what you are going to do.

When drivers put their feet on the ground, so will I. How else am I to know what they're going to do?

Seriously, though, it's really, really simple. The driver is stopped or nearly so, well before I reach the intersection, and I' slowing down, visibly, to arrive there well after them. They should take their turn.

canklecat 02-26-21 12:59 PM

Most drivers operate in personal threat-assessment mode, without regard to anyone else's safety or convenience. Same, regardless of whether they're passing, pulling into the road from driveways and parking lots, or cutting us off to enter a driveway or parking lot. Even when they see us they instantaneously go into personal threat-assessment mode, rather than taking a moment to rationally consider the options and taking an extra moment.

Crossing the center line to give a cyclist or pedestrian more room might put them into a head-on or clipping scenario with an approaching vehicle. That's a threat to the driver's person and property.

Not giving a cyclist or pedestrian a safe passing buffer, risking clipping or striking a cyclist or pedestrian? Little or no threat to the driver's person or property.

It's easy to guess which choice most drivers will take. Particularly considering the prevailing mindset of law enforcement and the news media toward injuries and deaths to cyclists and pedestrians, which regard anyone outside a metal cocoon as expendable in pursuit of driver convenience above all. A common example is when, after a cyclist is struck and killed or seriously injured, news media quotes law enforcement comments on whether the cyclist was wearing a helmet. It's the equivalent to the old "What was the assault victim wearing?" trope. No helmet = Asking for it. Here in Texas it's extremely rare for a driver to be prosecuted for killing cyclists and pedestrians. At worst they'll be ticketed for failure to control their vehicle or something similar There's no concept of personal negligence or liability. It's up to victims and survivors to pursue justice through civil courts, often with insurance claims dragging out for years.

I'm actually surprised by the number of drivers who not only give me plenty of room when passing, but go way overboard, driving completely into the oncoming traffic lane regardless of oncoming traffic. I only needed the customary buffer. Or they could have eased up off the accelerator for a moment, giving the oncoming traffic time to pass, then cross into the other lane to pass.

Fact is, most drivers are barely competent, even when they mean well and aren't overtly hostile toward the notion of sharing the common infrastructure with cyclists and pedestrians. They have grossly exaggerated opinions of their driving skills, presumably from watching NASCAR and way too much TV. Or they attribute dumb luck to delusions of skill.

pdlamb 02-26-21 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21942840)
Fact is, most drivers are barely competent, even when they mean well and aren't overtly hostile toward the notion of sharing the common infrastructure with cyclists and pedestrians. They have grossly exaggerated opinions of their driving skills, presumably from watching NASCAR and way too much TV. Or they attribute dumb luck to delusions of skill.

So far, so good. But what about the wannabe NASCAR drivers who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

:)

AdkMtnMonster 02-26-21 05:59 PM

OP needs to HTFU. Ride faster and cars won’t pass you. Doesn’t anyone dial it up to 700 Watts any more?

Troul 02-26-21 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 21943295)
OP needs to HTFU. Ride faster and cars won’t pass you. Doesn’t anyone dial it up to 700 Watts any more?

still lagging in the hundreds? come at me when those four digits of watts hit.

genejockey 02-26-21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 21943404)

Do all four have to be left of the decimal point?

AdkMtnMonster 02-26-21 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 21943404)

Only on my commutes, bro. No shower at the office.

BobbyG 02-27-21 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 21943295)

Does hardening of the arteries count?.

Troul 02-27-21 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 21943615)
Only on my commutes, bro. No shower at the office.

pffft, that's when you say, "Hey, you smell that? THAT's gigawatts, Doc Brown had it wrong [heavily squirts water bottle over ones self head] " .

Troul 02-27-21 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21943608)
Do all four have to be left of the decimal point?

if you have to ask...

rsbob 03-01-21 09:35 PM

Bike lane lines have magical properties just like the double yellow lines vehicles refuse to cross (because they are made of gold?) to give a cyclist an extra margin of safety. Just kidding, you are always totally vulnerable.