Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Thinking of no longer riding on roads (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1147615)

JoeyBike 02-15-20 12:27 AM

Never saw a train (thread) go off the track and end up in a BETTER place! Kudos.

mr_bill 02-15-20 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21326776)
This one even has a bike joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vMUs4iTSqI

Stopped for a cheese sandwich at Formaggio Kitchen on Huron one weekend. (They set up a small flat top on the sidewalk).

After locking up my “Schwinn” walked up to the counter with my white helmet with mirror and John was being John. He did not punch me in the nose, but then again I don’t look like Brad. (What was up with Brad’s hair at the academy awards?)

-mr. bill

JoeyBike 02-15-20 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 21328605)
(What was up with Brad’s hair at the academy awards?)

-mr. bill

If I had that hair I would let the wind blow it around as well.

Digger Goreman 02-15-20 12:15 PM

Every afternoon, at the end of work, a co-worker inevitably says: "Stay safe!"

My standard reply: "I hope everyone else will too!"

It's the best we can do... exercise our best, safe riding practices and hope for the best from our fellow travelers... expecting the likelihood of much less....

mr_bill 02-15-20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 21328728)
If I had that hair I would let the wind blow it around as well.

My hair is nicer than John’s.

-mr. bill

livedarklions 02-15-20 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 21328605)
Stopped for a cheese sandwich at Formaggio Kitchen on Huron one weekend. (They set up a small flat top on the sidewalk).

After locking up my “Schwinn” walked up to the counter with my white helmet with mirror and John was being John. He did not punch me in the nose, but then again I don’t look like Brad. (What was up with Brad’s hair at the academy awards?)

-mr. bill

John's mellowed out a bit since he became pope.

mr_bill 02-15-20 04:05 PM

BTW, the enclosed video shows the boulders and tree did not swerve prior to the collision.

If you watch carefully, why cats have nine lives. (Second two angles.) Cat-like reflexes indeed.

No people on bikes hurt because no people on bikes. The person in the car was also unhurt.

The tree did not survive. The two large boulders the size of small boulders were repositioned and are expected to make a full recovery.

-mr. bill

livedarklions 02-17-20 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 21329128)
BTW, the enclosed video shows the boulders and tree did not swerve prior to the collision.

If you watch carefully, why cats have nine lives. (Second two angles.) Cat-like reflexes indeed.

No people on bikes hurt because no people on bikes. The person in the car was also unhurt.

The tree did not survive. The two large boulders the size of small boulders were repositioned and are expected to make a full recovery.

https://youtu.be/sP_cbwZeXQs

-mr. bill

The tree wasn't wearing a helmet.

dudeliving 02-22-20 08:21 PM

I agree. It can be pretty scary now to go on the road especially when I hear sports car and for some reason, it just slows me down.

JoeyBike 03-01-20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by dudeliving (Post 21338634)
...especially when I hear sports car...

Or the distinctive whine of jumbo mud tires and diesel engines approaching from behind.

alexsandro22 03-04-20 09:59 AM

I always avoid road riding in such trips. Every trip road is explored and well-known by me or my team members. But sometimes you don't even know what to expect there so it's better not to ride there. I used to think the same way cause I've got injure on the road

Chistophe516 03-10-20 03:39 PM

Hmmmmm

Beebomb 03-14-20 06:04 PM

I was using the st Margaret’s bay train in NS and got knocked off my bike by a four wheeler. So even trails aren’t safe.

hotbike 04-25-20 01:34 PM

Hi, I think you need to get a rear view mirror. That and wear hi vis clothing, use blinking LED’s in the daytime, maybe get a GoPro camera.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d0e2e5839.jpeg
Rear View Mirror

hannahme 04-27-20 04:57 AM

I thought only I am bored in the home right now. Here it's lockdown, otherwise I would have jumped and went for a good ride :(

Oneder 05-03-20 02:38 PM

It depends entirely where you are but it is not good in many areas, and I would also avoid cycling in big groups because this seems to piss morons off the most. Since I just do it for exercise and health I mostly stay on the bike trail which thankfully is not far from my house,a nd I stay mainly on the sidewalk on the way there which is thankfully legal here in spite of occasional harassment from dump cops and pedestrians (always grouchy old men) who don't have any idea what the traffic laws are. I'd not ride with traffic on the roads unless you live in the country somewhere and can keep a good clip like 20+ mph going. If things are really bad you could consider rollers. Boring, but better than nothing. I'd also recommend to get one of those very long u bar locks that you can use as a club in an emergency.

ilcaccillo 05-24-20 06:55 AM

I also avoid roads completely,
prefer cycle lanes that are far from main trafic roads, dirt paths, or boardwalks.

Car drivers dont care about bike riders in general and they have a lethal vehicle

Miele Man 05-24-20 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ilcaccillo (Post 21494015)
I also avoid roads completely,
prefer cycle lanes that are far from main trafic roads, dirt paths, or boardwalks.

Car drivers dont care about bike riders in general and they have a lethal vehicle

So, how do you and your bicycle get to those if you avoid roads completely? Where I am, if I avoided riding on any paved/traffic road, I'd not be able to ride my bicycle further than to the end of my driveway. Sometimes there's nothing to fear but fear itself.

Cheers