Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Touring saddle help- final piece to the puzzle (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1157028)

fietsbob 10-05-18 12:08 PM

Another 'which Saddle' thread

Had been using my Brooks for 10 years , before going on multi month
International Bike tours..

Now, being in a town, where many people bike tour from, to or through..

a number like Brooks others have used something else.

One Woman bought another saddle mid trip, started with a brand new B17,
but didn't like it breaking it in from day one, mile post zero.. on that trip.

every one is different.

Hips are not a factory product, so saddle factories
make a lot of different ones to be tried by you ..

feldy0084 10-09-18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by elcruxio (Post 20600895)
What this sounds like to me is incompatibility between the brooks and OP's pelvic bone anatomy. People have pretty large variation in how their pelvises are structured even though sex can give some indications on pubic rami angle which is usually steeper in men and shallower in women. The B17 will require either shallow pubic rami angle or narrow sitbones or both to work. If OP has wideish sitbones and steep pubic rami angle there's no real chance the B17 will work. There's also a diminishing chance any other leather saddle will work since leather saddles tend to be relatively T-shaped after one sits on them due to how the hammocking works. What people with steep pubic rami require is pear shaped saddles such as many Selle SMP's, some WTB saddles, Specialized Power and other noseless designs, ISM's, etc.

But at the end of the day we don't know the OP's situation or anatomy. But in OP's position I'd ditch the leather saddle since there should NEVER be pressure on the perineum or nuts.

Sit bones measured today were around 153mm. I am a skinny guy at 5'9/150lbs. I am not sure if this is relatively wide for my size.

It looks like the Terry Liberator has the most votes so far for synthetic and Selle Anatomica for leather. LBS has also offered to do an even swap for a used B-72, but not sure if that will help.

Many of the posters also asked if I adjusted saddle height, which I did.

elcruxio 10-09-18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by feldy0084 (Post 20608789)
Sit bones measured today were around 153mm. I am a skinny guy at 5'9/150lbs. I am not sure if this is relatively wide for my size.

It looks like the Terry Liberator has the most votes so far for synthetic and Selle Anatomica for leather. LBS has also offered to do an even swap for a used B-72, but not sure if that will help.

Many of the posters also asked if I adjusted saddle height, which I did.

153mm is actually quite wide. The Brooks B17 only really supports sitbone widths of 120mm and down.

seedsbelize 10-10-18 03:14 PM

FWIW, I recently went from a C17 to a B17 narrow, and all my discomfort evaporated, I actually fabricated the B17 narrow from a regular B17, which I also could not use because it was too wide.