Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Helmets for your handlebars (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1180361)

Hypno Toad 08-06-19 08:34 AM

Helmets for your handlebars

I'm seeing many riders protecting their handlebars with helmets. These handlebar helmets seems to take the place of a helmet on your head. Should I get a handlebar helmet? Will this make my bike safer?

Seriously, wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet, I don't care .... I do both depending on the ride. This IS NOT another "you must wear helmet" thread or "helmets are the problem" thread. But it's just stupid to have a helmet with you and not put it on your head.

If it's too hot for your helmet, buy a new one that is better vented.
If it's uncomfortable, get a new one that fits.
If is mess up your hairdo, I don't care 'cause I'm bald. :D
If you don't feel the need for a helmet on your head, leave it at home.

seamuis 08-06-19 08:37 AM

What?

Hypno Toad 08-06-19 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 21062418)
What?

You never see a person riding a bike with their helmet hanging off the handlebars?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...137db4940c.jpg

Happy Feet 08-06-19 09:30 AM

Why do you care what other people do?

MattTheHat 08-06-19 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet (Post 21062525)

Why would you care what the OP does when he comments about what other people do? Come to think of it, why do I care why you care why the OP cares?

-Matt

AlmostTrick 08-06-19 09:41 AM

I stop and ask them if their handlebar helmet has mips. When they say "what?" I explain that mips handlebar helmets offer greater protection.

livedarklions 08-06-19 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21062508)
You never see a person riding a bike with their helmet hanging off the handlebars?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...137db4940c.jpg

This lady riding with a kid is going to be careening down the road at what, 6 or 7 mph? That's a pretty marginal call at best as to whether helmet wear adds a lot of safety in that situation.

Hypno Toad 08-06-19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet (Post 21062525)

"care" ?? not really.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21062409)
... it's just stupid to have a helmet with you and not put it on your head.

I just point out stupid sh... stuff.

You don't want to wear a helmet, leave it a home or better still ... don't buy it.

Hypno Toad 08-06-19 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21062568)
This lady riding with a kid is going to be careening down the road at what, 6 or 7 mph? That's a pretty marginal call at best as to whether helmet wear adds a lot of safety in that situation.

And yet you fail to see the irony here.... [/shrug]

livedarklions 08-06-19 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21062575)
And yet you fail to see the irony here.... [/shrug]

I don't fail to see nothing, I'm just not impressed. I don't know if she's about to drop the kid off and start some fast riding, or if she just decided on a whim the fresh air felt nice on her head.

You're just assuming she took it off for no reason.

livedarklions 08-06-19 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21062571)
"care" ?? not really.

I just point out stupid sh... stuff.

You don't want to wear a helmet, leave it a home or better still ... don't buy it.

How about if I want to wear it for part of the ride, but not when I'm sightseeing at 5 mph?

False dichotomies are false.

canklecat 08-06-19 10:25 AM

I've harassed some friends into wearing helmets.

Now I don't recognize them anymore. On the plus side, everyone looks better without an open skull fracture. I like brains, but I prefer them inside the skull.

It's weird, seeing familiar people when they're either suited up or not suited up as expected for bike rides.

But, yeah, carrying a helmet without wearing it ... y tho? Dangling from the bar is just gonna affect the balance or risk getting snagged on something.

BTW, for those hipsters who bought Bern or Nutcase helmets that look like bowling balls with useless tiny vents, and then don't wear 'em because they're freaking hot... tell 'em to pony up a few more bucks and get a POC Omne Air Spin. I got one a few weeks ago for casual rides. It's basically the same kind of helmet, but with excellent ventilation. Really scoops in the air. It's so comfy I'm wearing it on some road bike rides. I may get a POC Ventral or Octal now that prices have dropped on the older models. POC's skull shaped styrofoam beer coolers are awfully expensive.

GlennR 08-06-19 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21062409)
I'm seeing many riders protecting their handlebars with helmets.

Slow news day?

ksryder 08-06-19 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21062615)
I've harassed some friends into wearing helmets.

Now I don't recognize them anymore. On the plus side, everyone looks better without an open skull fracture. I like brains, but I prefer them inside the skull.

It's weird, seeing familiar people when they're either suited up or not suited up as expected for bike rides.

My wife laughs when we're at some big cycling event and everyone does this little dance where you're walking down the street and both of you pause for a second while you're trying to figure out a) do I know this person and b) what is their name? Because everyone looks different without helmet and kit.

It's especially funny when I just finished riding for 4 hours 24 inches away from a guy and then we see each other in the bike shop later that day and we both have to pause to make sure we know each other.

79pmooney 08-06-19 10:31 AM

I've heard of several crashes caused by helmets on the handlebars. Seen some close calls. And that 5, 6 or 7 mph spill? Your head hits the road with the same vertical velocity and the pavement is just as unyielding. (And there is a very good probabilty that the woman in the photo above would have her head considerably lower if she had to maintain a 20 mph average.)

I get a kick out of the riders with their helmets protecting their stems. Since those riders obviously value their stem more than their brains, we get to see in dollar values, just what they consider their brain worth. Nice TTT? $70. Old OEM NItto. What? $8? I have a custom ti stem but I still think this battered brain is worth more. Guess I'm pretty vain.

Ben

Hypno Toad 08-06-19 10:36 AM

IF you see the value in having a helmet, you know that keeping it on your head is the only place to safely carry it.

Additionally, if you're riding with your child and putting a helmet on their head, be a good example and put yours on too. It's funny is the number of young teens I see doing the same thing - they ride around just like mom, with it hanging from the bars. But I'm sure mom feels much better knowing that they left with a helmet. LOL

If I have a helmet with me on my bike, it goes securely on my head. If it's a slow roll for a slice and beer, the helmet stays at home. Or if I do a club ride, then grab a slice and beer a mile from home - the helmet goes on my head for the last mile, just like the 60 miles before the beer and pizza. It's just that simple, and not a false dichotomy.

Based on the feedback here, I guess we have a lot of BFers that see the value in protecting their handlebars with a helmet. :rolleyes:

Hypno Toad 08-06-19 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21062617)
Slow news day?

Actually, recovery day(s) - reference: https://www.bikeforums.net/21062308-post13.html

I-Like-To-Bike 08-06-19 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21062633)
IF you see the value in having a helmet, you know that keeping it on your head is the only place to safely carry it.

It is your bogus construct that anyone, besides yourself, is concerned about carrying a helmet "safely".

GlennR 08-06-19 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21062639)
Actually, recovery day(s) - reference: https://www.bikeforums.net/21062308-post13.html

So this is what you do?

Oh well, I guess this is all we can expect on the Interwebs.

79pmooney 08-06-19 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21062615)
... On the plus side, everyone looks better without an open skull fracture. I like brains, but I prefer them inside the skull.

That was the running joke in the peloton when I was racing. We wore the leather "skid lids" so we could have open casket services. (That one of the early hardshell helmets was branded "Skid Lid" always baffled me. It was a shell and webbing inside, no foam. (I used to watch concussions happen in hockey games when our varsity was issued very similar helmets.) I would have died wearing a Skid Lid. It would have lived up to the reputation associated with its name well.

Ben

livedarklions 08-06-19 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 21062627)
I've heard of several crashes caused by helmets on the handlebars. Seen some close calls. And that 5, 6 or 7 mph spill? Your head hits the road with the same vertical velocity and the pavement is just as unyielding. (And there is a very good probabilty that the woman in the photo above would have her head considerably lower if she had to maintain a 20 mph average.)

I get a kick out of the riders with their helmets protecting their stems. Since those riders obviously value their stem more than their brains, we get to see in dollar values, just what they consider their brain worth. Nice TTT? $70. Old OEM NItto. What? $8? I have a custom ti stem but I still think this battered brain is worth more. Guess I'm pretty vain.

Ben

I actually wear my helmet at all times while riding, butI just think it's silly to go on about other people's habits when you really know nothing about them. Sure, you could hit your head on a 5-6 mph spill hard enough to injure you, but the likelihood against that has got to be reaching hit by meteor levels.

If you look at the VA Tech safety ratings, you'll find that there's almost no correlation between price of a helmet and level of protection. Some of the really cheap ones have far better ratings than some of the really expensive ones.

As far as "I've heard of accidents that...", sounds very much like the start of every urban legend I've ever heard.

79pmooney 08-06-19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21062642)
It is your bogus construct that anyone, besides yourself, is concerned about carrying a helmet "safely".

You might want to reprase that in the interests of accuracy, There are at least two of us.

Hypno Toad 08-06-19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21062642)

Nothing bogus here - helmets banging around on the handlebars will damage them and make the ineffective at protecting your skull when you wreck. If you don't see the value in a helmet, don't bring it. If you see it has any value, put it on your head. Simple as that.

livedarklions 08-06-19 10:53 AM

Well, everyone has done such a good job at being hall monitor, I'm going to let them clap the erasers.

Phil_gretz 08-06-19 10:55 AM

If I were going to hang a helmet from my bars, I'd make certain that the helmet has a visible weave carbon fiber shell, two-way adjustable restraint system, prodigious venting, ergonomic clips and removable/washable padding. Only the best for my handlebars. Obviously, it will need to be color matched to my kit.