Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Shimano ST-6400 & ST-1055 (600 Ultegra Tricolor & 105) hood compatibilty (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1184061)

Unca_Sam 09-20-19 04:13 PM

Shimano ST-6400 & ST-1055 (600 Ultegra Tricolor & 105) hood compatibilty

I noticed that a cache of Shimano 105 integrated shifter hoods have appeared on Ebay, and I want someone to tell definitively that they are compatible with 600 Ultegra tricolor integrated shifter hoods.

Shimano used different part numbers for the brackets and covers, but the part diagram is nearly identical. Can someone chime in and confirm that this swap works?

rccardr 09-20-19 07:44 PM

It does not.
Also, be advised that 6400 (non aero and pretty much Euro only), 6401 (what we saw in the USA begining in 1987), and 6403 (early 8 speed and also the body used for R600 levers) are completely different. None of one fit the other. Sadly.

Unca_Sam 09-20-19 09:48 PM

@rccardr
Same question as in this thread.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82e0009330.jpg

Exploded st 6400 diagram. Shimano 600 Ultegra dual control lever
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3ac1b35431.jpg

Exploded st 1055 diagram. Shimano 105sc dual control lever

From Shimano technical documents. The same documents have common part numbers for much of the internal components, but different part numbers for the brackets and bracket covers (lever bodies and hoods). These aren't the non aero brake levers, though that was how i found it after giving up for a year. Road guy suggested 105s are close enough, but I have to ask to confirm.
Thanks

rccardr 09-21-19 11:38 AM

Ah, my bad. Did not read the part about them being STI's instead of brake levers.

Based on the illustration, must agree that they LOOK identical. I'd be tempted to buy a pair and see. Worst case is you resell them....

Unca_Sam 09-21-19 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by rccardr (Post 21132094)
Ah, my bad. Did not read the part about them being STI's instead of brake levers.

Based on the illustration, must agree that they LOOK identical. I'd be tempted to buy a pair and see. Worst case is you resell them....

"Sigh"

I'll do so and report back.

KCT1986 09-21-19 09:25 PM

They are very similar & will fit quite well. There is a small difference in the shape. The curve in the area between the "point" and the area next to the opening where you access the bar clamp bolt is slightly different and doesn't quite match the recessed area on the body. Not too bad, just a slight difference in the shape of the curve. This has no real functional effect, just not a perfect fit.

The raised areas on the inside of the hood, designed to keep the hood properly aligned, are fine.

Unca_Sam 09-22-19 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by KCT1986 (Post 21132680)
They are very similar & will fit quite well. There is a small difference in the shape. The curve in the area between the "point" and the area next to the opening where you access the bar clamp bolt is slightly different and doesn't quite match the recessed area on the body. Not too bad, just a slight difference in the shape of the curve. This has no real functional effect, just not a perfect fit.

The raised areas on the inside of the hood, designed to keep the hood properly aligned, are fine.

This is the information I was looking for. Thank you for sharing.

Unca_Sam 03-27-20 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam (Post 21132135)
"Sigh"

I'll do so and report back.

Reporting back, I will second what KCT1986 stated. These fit perfectly and are 100% interchangeable. I'm very happy I bought them since white Ultegra hoods are much more expensive and rare.

eeforme 04-02-20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam (Post 21131187)
I noticed that a cache of Shimano 105 integrated shifter hoods have appeared on Ebay, and I want someone to tell definitively that they are compatible with 600 Ultegra tricolor integrated shifter hoods.

Shimano used different part numbers for the brackets and covers, but the part diagram is nearly identical. Can someone chime in and confirm that this swap works?

They are exactly the same shape and size. The only difference between the two types is the grain pattern on the rubber. Most people would never notice unless you look at a pair of each side by side.

dddd 04-02-20 11:50 PM

I put white Dura-Ace STI hoods on RX100 STI levers and they fit quite well even though there was a bit of a difference in how they keyed into the lever body.

Unca_Sam 04-03-20 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by dddd (Post 21398097)
I put white Dura-Ace STI hoods on RX100 STI levers and they fit quite well even though there was a bit of a difference in how they keyed into the lever body.

An anecdote is fine, but what model dura ace shifter hoods did you use? It's barely helpful if you aren't specific.

dddd 04-03-20 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam (Post 21398406)
An anecdote is fine, but what model dura ace shifter hoods did you use? It's barely helpful if you aren't specific.

All were clearly "8-speed era" shifters/hoods, so all have the same external profile and cut. Little differences though inside of the hoods.

eeforme 04-05-20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by dddd (Post 21398768)
All were clearly "8-speed era" shifters/hoods, so all have the same external profile and cut. Little differences though inside of the hoods.

That is not true. The Dura Ace ST-7400, 8 speed hoods are a totally different profile and shape than all of the others. The only thing close to the same for all these first 7 and 8 speed STI is that they all have metal brackets. You can put a set of Sora ST-3300 hoods on these brackets, but that doesn't make them fit correctly either.

dddd 04-05-20 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by eeforme (Post 21402567)
That is not true. The Dura Ace ST-7400, 8 speed hoods are a totally different profile and shape than all of the others. The only thing close to the same for all these first 7 and 8 speed STI is that they all have metal brackets. You can put a set of Sora ST-3300 hoods on these brackets, but that doesn't make them fit correctly either.

Metal brackets???

My white hoods came out of a sealed Dura-Ace bag, and fit quite well onto the RX100 8s levers.