Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Waving (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1202583)

dougphoto 05-25-20 12:15 PM

Waving

I've always been a big waver, I wave to all bikers, doesn't matter if you are pulling a trailer of kids or if you are looking like a hardcore roadie I wave. However, recently I've seen two different bikers riding cities bikes with flat bars, and AERO clip on bars attached, to me that's a step to far. I can't wave at such a person.

LAJ 05-25-20 12:25 PM

Then don't.

Velo Vol 05-25-20 12:26 PM

Elitist.

sdmc530 05-25-20 12:28 PM

Good for you on waving, I too am a waver!

shelbyfv 05-25-20 01:55 PM

I think BF should require a grace period between waving threads. This last one isn't even dead yet. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ce-6.html:foo: Maybe they can be merged?

thehammerdog 05-25-20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dougphoto (Post 21496245)
I've always been a big waver, I wave to all bikers, doesn't matter if you are pulling a trailer of kids or if you are looking like a hardcore roadie I wave. However, recently I've seen two different bikers riding cities bikes with flat bars, and AERO clip on bars attached, to me that's a step to far. I can't wave at such a person.

On being human 101....wave.

unless your indrops or tt bars in race situation and or going for PR or not safe.
just wave.😄

trainsktg 05-25-20 02:17 PM

Trying to picture in my head....a step-through townie with aero bars. Tough to imagine.

Keith

Seattle Forrest 05-25-20 03:11 PM

I don't wave at people who take Strava segments without power meters.

TMonk 05-25-20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21496535)

lol

Bah Humbug 05-25-20 04:14 PM

Thank you for the report. Not sure why you care so much what bar arrangement works for other people though.

bladehack 05-25-20 04:24 PM

I do the Subie wave, I assume they are enlightened and drive an STI or WRX

Ghazmh 05-25-20 04:38 PM

I wave, I like waving. I notice the frequency I get waved at initially is dependent upon my bike and attire. When I’m on my ugly old hybrid or touring bike with some Zoic or Club Ride casual cycling clothes and Shimano SPD sandals I hardly get waved at. If I’m on my Seven wearing Rapha and all color coordinated I get waved at constantly. I only don’t wave if circumstances dictate I need to keep my hands on the bar and my mind focused on safe navigation.

Seattle Forrest 05-25-20 04:45 PM

We need a wind tunnel study on waving. Is it worse than Gatorskins?

shelbyfv 05-25-20 05:08 PM

I've heard they don't wave in Czech Republic and do other mean and hurtful stuff....

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...90f1ad9429.png

indyfabz 05-25-20 05:12 PM

Epic post, dude.

I walked passed hundreds of pedestrians today. Not one of them waved. But I did stop and talk with Marlene. She was watering plants outside the hardware store where she works. We practiced proper social distancing. I proudly support my LHS.

Now show us on the doll where the flat bars with clip on aero bars hurt you.

Lemond1985 05-25-20 05:22 PM

I saw only a one cyclist in the mountains yesterday, in 60 miles, to whom I gladly waved, or rather yelled something to, since I was descending behind a line of cars riding the brakes pretty hard.

What annoyed me slightly was that almost ever single person in a car who had their window down waved, and that got kinda old after a while. So I just stared at the road in front of me, and probably rubbed a few motorists the wrong way, but so be it. Only saw maybe 100-150 cars the entire day, so NBD.

noodle soup 05-25-20 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21496535)

There's a young pro cyclist in my area, and he waves to me every time we pass by each other..

Brandon McNulty is a good kid.

noodle soup 05-25-20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21496813)
There's a young pro cyclist in my area, and he waves to me every time we pass by each other..

@LAJ. He started stealing my KOMs when he was 15, and It pissed me off. Now I proud to say that he's the one that took them.

Nachoman 05-25-20 08:09 PM

The most you'll ever get from me is a nod.

LAJ 05-25-20 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21496823)
@LAJ. He started stealing my KOMs when he was 15, and It pissed me off. Now I proud to say that he's the one that took them.

That's awesome. Having a few of those names around here, it's always cool to see how they do, in relation.

Princess_Allez 05-25-20 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21496813)

What area might this be? I feel I've seen that name on Strava before.

noodle soup 05-25-20 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez (Post 21497136)
What area might this be? I feel I've seen that name on Strava before.

Phoenix

canklecat 05-26-20 05:40 AM

I waiver about this topic.

eduskator 05-26-20 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by dougphoto (Post 21496245)

You probably don't waive at cyclist using flat pedals either, right? If you have time to see that, are you even pedaling hard enough? :lol:

I waive from time to time, but just by lifting my left index & middle fingers (making a hand peace sign) without getting my hands off the bars.

Rubyd 05-26-20 07:16 AM

Same silly topic over and over on motorcycle forums. Do Harleys wave at sport bikes? Do pirates wave at power rangers? Do trikes or scooters deserve a wave? Never understood that after 40 years of riding. As a newbie road cyclist it’s hilarious to see the same topic🤣