Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Official Trek FX Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1003725)

swoodjr1 04-16-15 01:47 PM

Official Trek FX Thread
 
I have noticed that the Trek DS folks have their own thread but FX threads are spread out all over the place. Post up pics, hints, questions, tips, news, rumors!

Little Darwin 04-16-15 02:49 PM

I ride a 2011 7.3 FX (size Large) I bought used a little over a year ago. A few mods I have done

1) Wheel set is Velocity Chukker rims with Deore hubs, 36 spokes 3x.

2) Tires are Clement X'Plor USH (35 mm, 60 tpi version)

3) Pedals are Diamondback

4) Rack installed

5) Saddle is a Selle SMP TRK

6) Ergon grips

7) Crank set swapped... same Shimano model, but shorter arms (170) and lower gearing to make it easier on my knees, and help me climb better.

It is my primary rider, and I will start commuting on it any time now...

I will be moving back to the stock wheels when I get the engine down to a more reasonable weight.

I'll post pics when I take some.

yashinon 04-16-15 07:08 PM


Originally Posted by swoodjr1 (Post 17725831)
I have noticed that the Trek DS folks have their own thread but FX threads are spread out all over the place. Post up pics, hints, questions, tips, news, rumors!

Great idea! Here is something to start with...Bontrager makes a Race Lite handlebar. Is this a decent bar for use with the FX? Is it worthwhile replacing the ISOZONE BAR?

ColonelSanders 04-17-15 03:56 AM

I physically picked up a 2015 7.4 FX size 17" at a Trek dealer a few days ago to see how heavily it was and I was shocked at how light it was. :eek:

From putting together bits and pieces of what I've read, I suspect it was probably around 23 pounds, and if so, I struggle to imagine how light a 16 pound bike would feel.

If anyone has actual weights of their FX, I'd be keen to see them posted in this thread.

ColonelSanders 04-17-15 03:58 AM


Originally Posted by yashinon (Post 17726767)
Great idea! Here is something to start with...Bontrager makes a Race Lite handlebar. Is this a decent bar for use with the FX? Is it worthwhile replacing the ISOZONE BAR?

Why do you want to replace your existing handlebars?

Of course if you do, you can choose brands besides Bontrager. :)

marimorimo 04-17-15 04:28 AM


Originally Posted by ColonelSanders (Post 17727418)
I physically picked up a 2015 7.4 FX size 17" at a Trek dealer a few days ago to see how heavily it was and I was shocked at how light it was. :eek:

From putting together bits and pieces of what I've read, I suspect it was probably around 23 pounds, and if so, I struggle to imagine how light a 16 pound bike would feel.

If anyone has actual weights of their FX, I'd be keen to see them posted in this thread.

I have a 15" 7.4 FX WSD and while it isn't heavy, I don't think it's light either :( I suspect around 28 lbs, but I haven't put it on a scale. The kickstand I added does add quite a bit of weight so I might remove that.

My bike is mostly all stock except for the cranks, which I customized to ultra-short 153 mm cranks with a lower-geared chain rings :) Best decision I ever made, as I am a very short person (5'2) and these cranks are at least 5x more comfortable and usable than my old 170s, no kidding. Although I do wish I had bigger gears (the stock chain rings had slightly higher gearing than what I have now).

ColonelSanders 04-17-15 04:49 AM


Originally Posted by marimorimo (Post 17727449)
I have a 15" 7.4 FX WSD and while it isn't heavy, I don't think it's light either :( I suspect around 28 lbs, but I haven't put it on a scale.

A review I read of the 2014 7.4 FX Disc model, said it was 25 pounds, so once you take away the weight for the disc brakes and the non-carbon fork, I figured it would be close to 23 pounds.

yashinon 04-17-15 06:00 AM


Originally Posted by marimorimo (Post 17727449)
I have a 15" 7.4 FX WSD and while it isn't heavy, I don't think it's light either :( I suspect around 28 lbs, but I haven't put it on a scale. The kickstand I added does add quite a bit of weight so I might remove that.

My bike is mostly all stock except for the cranks, which I customized to ultra-short 153 mm cranks with a lower-geared chain rings :) Best decision I ever made, as I am a very short person (5'2) and these cranks are at least 5x more comfortable and usable than my old 170s, no kidding. Although I do wish I had bigger gears (the stock chain rings had slightly higher gearing than what I have now).

I think Trek should have added a lighter handlebar. The ISOZONE is rather chincy IMO. I am interested in learning about the cranks.

Little Darwin 04-17-15 09:02 AM


Originally Posted by marimorimo (Post 17727449)
My bike is mostly all stock except for the cranks, which I customized to ultra-short 153 mm cranks with a lower-geared chain rings :) Best decision I ever made, as I am a very short person (5'2) and these cranks are at least 5x more comfortable and usable than my old 170s, no kidding. Although I do wish I had bigger gears (the stock chain rings had slightly higher gearing than what I have now).

If you still have the original crank, you might be able to just swap the rings (assuming the new crank has the same bot pattern). I may go back to the higher gearing as I lose weight myself, which is part of the reason I went with the same model crank. However, if you don't have the old rings, it is generally just as expensive to replace 3 rings as it is to get a brand new crank with the rings that you want.. I don't know why, but it seems to be the case.

fietsbob 04-17-15 09:23 AM


The kickstand I added does add quite a bit of weight so I might remove that.
If you lock your Bike Up to something all the time that may Be OK, If not and still need the bike to stay Up on its own occasionally, Swiss Made:

Pletscher ESGE Center Zoom Adjustable Kickstand is lighter than the Greenfield solid rod leg type (and you can make it longer or shorter, the base bolts to the strut)


Usual search gets Lots of sellers > Here is the maker http://www.pletscher.ch/produkte/standard/mittelstutzen

nick779 04-17-15 09:52 AM

im excited, ill be picking up a trailer hitch, platform style rack, and a new Trek 7.2 FX shortly along with all associated starter stuff.

I was debating between the 7.2fx and the Giant Escape 2, but im leaning towards the Trek.

mcmoose 04-18-15 12:02 AM


http://www.bikeforums.net/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by marimorimo http://www.bikeforums.net/images/but...post-right.png
My bike is mostly all stock except for the cranks, which I customized to ultra-short 153 mm cranks with a lower-geared chain rings :)Best decision I ever made, as I am a very short person (5'2) and these cranks are at least 5x more comfortable and usable than my old 170s, no kidding. Although I do wish I had bigger gears (the stock chain rings had slightly higher gearing than what I have now).




If you still have the original crank, you might be able to just swap the rings (assuming the new crank has the same bot pattern). I may go back to the higher gearing as I lose weight myself, which is part of the reason I went with the same model crank. However, if you don't have the old rings, it is generally just as expensive to replace 3 rings as it is to get a brand new crank with the rings that you want.. I don't know why, but it seems to be the case.
Your other option would be to get a new rear cassette with smaller gears -- that would get your gear ratios back to where they were before, and cassettes tend to be cheaper than crank rings.

mcmoose 04-18-15 12:08 AM

^^^Okay, I withdraw my suggestion... if your rear sprocket has an 11-tooth small ring, you can't go lower than that.

dscobbie 04-18-15 08:53 AM

I just bought a new Trek 7.2 FX in the fast color (Red) LOL. I am 69 and 260 lbs. trying to get into shape somewhat. Longest singe ride is a little over 8 miles. This is much better to ride than the neighbor's Schwinn MTB I was borrowing.

TakingMyTime 04-18-15 09:41 AM


Originally Posted by dscobbie (Post 17730662)
I just bought a new Trek 7.2 FX in the fast color (Red) LOL. I am 69 and 260 lbs. trying to get into shape somewhat. Longest singe ride is a little over 8 miles. This is much better to ride than the neighbor's Schwinn MTB I was borrowing.

Welcome to the club. Keep us updated on your progress. Keep riding!

Kestrel367 04-18-15 04:32 PM

I bought a Trek FX 7.5 in March, changed pedals to Shimano 530.

Rode when young had a Motobecane hybrid when going to college then bought a Trek cross bike after I wrecked the Motobecane on too many trail rides. Left that behind on one of my many moves.

50+ and hoping to ride some again. My first outing was 19 miles and very enjoyable.

cncspinner 04-18-15 06:38 PM

I bought a 7.3 last December, love the bike. I was surprised when I bought a new set of ergo grips with bar ends only to discover the funky iso zone handle bar. Quick trip back to the store and some adaptors and barends fixed the problem and I got to keep using the stock grips

yashinon 04-18-15 06:39 PM


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 17728067)
If you lock your Bike Up to something all the time that may Be OK, If not and still need the bike to stay Up on its own occasionally, Swiss Made:

Pletscher ESGE Center Zoom Adjustable Kickstand is lighter than the Greenfield solid rod leg type (and you can make it longer or shorter, the base bolts to the strut)


Usual search gets Lots of sellers > Here is the maker Pletscher

Thanks for the heads up on that Kickstand.

yashinon 04-18-15 06:41 PM


Originally Posted by cncspinner (Post 17731629)
I bought a 7.3 last December, love the bike. I was surprised when I bought a new set of ergo grips with bar ends only to discover the funky iso zone handle bar. Quick trip back to the store and some adaptors and barends fixed the problem and I got to keep using the stock grips

You could have used Teflon tape to mount the Ergon grips. Works well on the ISOZONE handlebar, however i do agree it is funky. Not impressed!

cncspinner 04-18-15 06:56 PM

It actually worked out in the end, the bontrager set up ended be being less expensive and the bike shop installed them for free.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...418_170120.jpg

marimorimo 04-18-15 07:24 PM


Originally Posted by ColonelSanders (Post 17727472)
A review I read of the 2014 7.4 FX Disc model, said it was 25 pounds, so once you take away the weight for the disc brakes and the non-carbon fork, I figured it would be close to 23 pounds.

To check, I weighed my 15" 7.4 FX WSD yesterday without the kickstand but with all sensors and an empty saddlebag. 12 kg, or 26.5 lbs. Even with the sensors and saddlebag I think 100% stock might be a bit heavier still because I changed my outer ring to aluminum (originally steel) and lost the chain guard. The stock chainrings plus cranks and chain guard are significantly heavier than what I have now.


Originally Posted by yashinon (Post 17727558)
I think Trek should have added a lighter handlebar. The ISOZONE is rather chincy IMO. I am interested in learning about the cranks.

If you subscribe to the theory that proportional length cranks are better for performance, you can either lengthen or shorten you cranks. Shorter cranks are almost non-existent so I had to order customized ones from Mark at Bikesmith. In my case, 170 mm cranks were difficult for me to push climbing and accelerating-my legs burned even after short efforts. Once I changed to short 153 mm cranks, I could accelerate faster and the unbearable burning went away like magic (I still got tired as my strength and skills are garbage but no more burning in the legs.)

I theorize that shorter cranks are most helpful for shorter riders or people with range of motion issues while normal/taller people are well-served by the currently available crank lengths.


Originally Posted by mcmoose (Post 17730301)
Your other option would be to get a new rear cassette with smaller gears -- that would get your gear ratios back to where they were before, and cassettes tend to be cheaper than crank rings.

That's a good idea! I'll try it :)

corwin1968 04-18-15 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my 2007 FX 7.2 that I sold a couple of years ago. I think it was quite an ugly bike but the new FX frames are gorgeous. This thing was a blast to ride and sometimes when I remember riding it, I question my decision to go 100% steel. That thing just jumped forward when I pedaled and at the time, I had no idea why. Now, I believe it was simply the stiffness of those oversized Aluminum tubes. I also now realize it was too small for me. Thank you, Grant Petersen.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=445896

yashinon 04-19-15 06:44 AM


Originally Posted by corwin1968 (Post 17731790)
Here is my 2007 FX 7.2 that I sold a couple of years ago. I think it was quite an ugly bike but the new FX frames are gorgeous. This thing was a blast to ride and sometimes when I remember riding it, I question my decision to go 100% steel. That thing just jumped forward when I pedaled and at the time, I had no idea why. Now, I believe it was simply the stiffness of those oversized Aluminum tubes. I also now realize it was too small for me. Thank you, Grant Petersen.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=445896

I had a 2006 7.3 and did not think it was ugly. Yes the new FX's are beautiful but the classic versions were not bad.

cncspinner 04-19-15 06:57 AM

It would be interesting to add a poll to this thread to easily see which level of the FX is the most common among posters.

yashinon 04-19-15 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"My bike is mostly all stock except for the cranks, which I customized to ultra-short 153 mm cranks with a lower-geared chain rings :) Best decision I ever made, as I am a very short person (5'2) and these cranks are at least 5x more comfortable and usable than my old 170s, no kidding. Although I do wish I had bigger gears (the stock chain rings had slightly higher gearing than what I have now)."

The '14 Trek supposedly comes with a Shimano Acera M391 crank. However the images of the crank "arms" that I see online are different from the arms that came with my bike. My "arms" seem rather long, being 5'6" does this prevent me from pedaling faster, reduce cadence, etc?

Attached is a photo. http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=445941


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.