Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Newbie Tire Size Questions (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=646222)

nat3r 05-17-10 09:29 PM

Newbie Tire Size Questions

So for future reference in replacing my tires,

im guessing my wheelset is a 700c, as that's the most common and the tires that are coming on them are 700x23c's

so i'm looking into buying some Gatorskins, and im finding multiple different sizes.

now i know from searching that 700x23c and 700x23 are the same, but whats the difference between 700x23 and, say, 700x25? Will they both fit my frameset?

Squirrelli 05-17-10 09:35 PM

Yes, it will fit your frame.
700x25 is basically 2mm wider than 23.
I have a 700x23 Gatorskin, but I measured it and it is actually 700x24, but that 1mm does not matter that much.

hairnet 05-17-10 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by nat3r (Post 10827061)

now i know from searching that 700x23c and 700x23 are the same, but whats the difference between 700x23 and, say, 700x25? Will they both fit my frameset?

some people put the c, some don't. The c is for the rim, 700c. We can't tell you if your frame can fit 25mm tires until you tell us what it is, but I'm guessing you most likely can.

nat3r 05-17-10 09:38 PM

It's a 52cm Fuji Obey.

im a bit on the heavier side (~200lbs) so im looking for a tire thats a bit more durable for my weight, and will last a while

Leukybear 05-17-10 09:51 PM

28mm should be a good size for your weight.

nat3r 05-17-10 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by happypills (Post 10827152)
28mm should be a good size for your weight.

how can i find out if those fit in there though?

also, im not going to be skidding alot at all, so my tire will wear naturally.

lz4005 05-17-10 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by nat3r (Post 10827095)
im a bit on the heavier side (~200lbs) so im looking for a tire thats a bit more durable for my weight, and will last a while

How long the tire will last is more related to thickness of the tread part of the tire than the size. Bigger tires will be more resistant to pinch flats and soak up some of the bumpyness of the road.

I'm about the same weight as you and I ride 28's.

nat3r 05-17-10 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by lz4005 (Post 10827244)
How long the tire will last is more related to thickness of the tread part of the tire than the size. Bigger tires will be more resistant to pinch flats and soak up some of the bumpyness of the road.

I'm about the same weight as you and I ride 28's.

but how do i find out if it will fit in my frame?

destikon 05-17-10 10:28 PM

38s here, at least on one of my rides. Go for comfort, but I doubt the obey will fit those... :-(

nat3r 05-17-10 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by destikon (Post 10827309)
38s here, at least on one of my rides. Go for comfort, but I doubt the obey will fit those... :-(

comforts good, but im mainly going for speed and durability, so i think i might go just under 28

as long as my fork will allow it.

JacoKierkegaard 05-17-10 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by nat3r (Post 10827305)
but how do i find out if it will fit in my frame?

That one, actually, is more of a trial and error type thing. A lot of the time it will have to do with your brakes more than your frame, and even then the actual size of the tire assigned to a given number can vary from one manufacturer to another. Just in general, I'd say most bikes will at least be able to clear a 28 or so. You should be fine with anything at or below that. As a rule, thinner = higher pressure = less rolling resistance but harsher ride, whereas wider = lower pressure = more rolling resistance, but more cushy. I prefer 23's, and they're more or less the standard for racing, but plenty of folks opt for the comfort of a slightly bigger tire. It's all a matter of personal preference.

nat3r 05-17-10 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by JacoKierkegaard (Post 10827363)
That one, actually, is more of a trial and error type thing. A lot of the time it will have to do with your brakes more than your frame, and even then the actual size of the tire assigned to a given number can vary from one manufacturer to another. Just in general, I'd say most bikes will at least be able to clear a 28 or so. You should be fine with anything at or below that. As a rule, thinner = higher pressure = less rolling resistance but harsher ride, whereas wider = lower pressure = more rolling resistance, but more cushy. I prefer 23's, and they're more or less the standard for racing, but plenty of folks opt for the comfort of a slightly bigger tire. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Thanks Jaco,
the Obey is a track bike, so it isn't drilled for a brake, so i wouldnt have to worry about that, but basically im wondering what is the maximum and minimum width that i can fit on my frameset.

I'm going to go with a middle of the road width, most likely 23's-25's.

From all the reviews of the Gatorskins i've been reading, i think it will be durable enough, im just preparing for the future.

any other input would, of course, be very helpful

Leukybear 05-17-10 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by nat3r (Post 10827184)
how can i find out if those fit in there though?

also, im not going to be skidding alot at all, so my tire will wear naturally.

It should fit tightly; if you're not sure just go to your LBS and ask for their opinion.... I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use 38 tho...

nat3r 05-17-10 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by happypills (Post 10827396)
It should fit tightly; if you're not sure just go to your LBS and ask for their opinion.... I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use 38 tho...

Tight? as in rubbing against the fork?
I also highly doubt ill be able to fit a 38 in there, but again, im not too concerned with which size i should be riding, i just want to know what the max width that my actual wheelset can accept. Or are 700c wheelsets pretty much universial

Squirrelli 05-17-10 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by happypills (Post 10827396)

+1
Some people here seem to be afraid of going to the LBS for opinions and advices.
I love my LBS/communal workshop, $5/h for tools+stand+advice. Best place ever!

Leukybear 05-17-10 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by nat3r (Post 10827417)
Tight? as in rubbing against the fork?
I also highly doubt ill be able to fit a 38 in there, but again, im not too concerned with which size i should be riding, i just want to know what the max width that my actual wheelset can accept. Or are 700c wheelsets pretty much universial

Of course not silly; the tire should fit but appear to the eye with little clearance left (there's no repercussions to this; in fact many true track bikes out there are like this). A 38mm tire will not fit for sure... its meant for tarck bikes and conversions that have massive clearance due to them being converted from size 27in wheels to 700C.....

Originally Posted by Vixtor (Post 10827423)
+1
Some people here seem to be afraid of going to the LBS for opinions and advices.
I love my LBS/communal workshop, $5/h for tools+stand+advice. Best place ever!

My mechanic does it for free (even tires!) for me with purchase and sometimes not even. :D

nat3r 05-17-10 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by happypills (Post 10827456)
Of course not silly; the tire should fit but appear to the eye with little clearance left (there's no repercussions to this; in fact many true track bikes out there are like this). A 38mm tire will not fit for sure... its meant for tarck bikes and conversions that have massive clearance due to them being converted from size 27in wheels to 700C.....

My mechanic does it for free (even tires!) for me with purchase and sometimes not even. :D

But what about the wheelset, im not asking about the fork, im asking about the maximum tire that can fit on the avg 700c rim

Squirrelli 05-18-10 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by nat3r (Post 10827536)
But what about the wheelset, im not asking about the fork, im asking about the maximum tire that can fit on the avg 700c rim

It depends on the inside width of the rim, if it has 23 tires already, the maximum is probably about a 32. I'd worry about the fork more if you looking for wider tires.

hairnet 05-18-10 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by nat3r (Post 10827536)

depends on rim width.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

scroll down near the bottom