Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Hub recommendation for Sun Mistral tubular rims (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1123272)

bikingman 09-26-17 04:24 PM

Hub recommendation for Sun Mistral tubular rims

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I'm looking a recommendation on a hub to lace with a set of rims. The rims are two tubular Sun Mistrals, 36h. I've provided a picture below.

I'd like to keep to tradition with this project. So I'm looking for an appropriate set of hubs that meet the era, as well as the aesthetic.

Perhaps there is a pair of Sun hubs that go along with the rims? Or would these rims have been made with any another brand?

Any advice would be appreciated, and extra points for any history/background with the recommendation.

Kindly,
Daniel P

cdmurphy 09-26-17 05:24 PM

Daniel,

What bike are you planning to use these rims on? These were American made, probably mid 80's rims, but they could have been used with just about any hub, depending on the bike manufacturer. Campy C-Record, or Mavic 500 series would both be world class hubs, but maybe not appropriate for your bike. There were also probably a half dozen Japanese hubs that would have been very popular, and very well made. (Shimano Dura Ace, Suntour Superbe, Sanshin, etc.)

DiabloScott 09-26-17 09:30 PM

Pretty!
American Classic hubs ftw.

Salamandrine 09-26-17 10:20 PM

I'd go with Phil Wood. Good match for those rims. Totally reliable.

Possibly Bullseye if you can find a set for road, and are feeling adventurous. Or, American Classic, sure. They were pretty weight weenie IIRC.

bikingman 09-28-17 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by cdmurphy (Post 19889345)
Daniel,

What bike are you planning to use these rims on? These were American made, probably mid 80's rims, but they could have been used with just about any hub, depending on the bike manufacturer. Campy C-Record, or Mavic 500 series would both be world class hubs, but maybe not appropriate for your bike. There were also probably a half dozen Japanese hubs that would have been very popular, and very well made. (Shimano Dura Ace, Suntour Superbe, Sanshin, etc.)

The wheels don't have a home just yet, but choosing the frame is at least 6-12 months down the road I'd say. First I plan to build the wheels, then go from there. I guess that I'm building the bike the wrong way round!

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like I have some options. I like the idea of the Suntour Superbes

Regards

bikingman 09-28-17 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Salamandrine (Post 19889793)
I'd go with Phil Wood. Good match for those rims. Totally reliable.

Possibly Bullseye if you can find a set for road, and are feeling adventurous. Or, American Classic, sure. They were pretty weight weenie IIRC.

Aren't Bullseye traditionally BMX hubs?

Salamandrine 09-28-17 08:36 AM

Bullseye sold road hubs too. They were relatively inexpensive, and could be ordered in lots of color combinations. Freewheel only I think. IIRC they peaked in popularity around 1990, which if I'm not mistaken is about the same time period as those rims.

tiredhands 09-28-17 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by bikingman (Post 19892918)
Aren't Bullseye traditionally BMX hubs?

I've got a Bullseye rear hub with a 126mm axle and road spacers. The design is pretty neat, and seems crazy durable. I've got that, and a 1st gen Dura Ace front hub, both 36h, that I might be interested in letting go...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4353/...22e77d6b_c.jpg

Chombi1 09-28-17 09:20 AM

Shimano DA 7400 hubs would be perfect for those Sun rims....

bikingman 10-22-17 09:01 AM

Hey tiredhands - thanks for the information and the photos. The hub looks great (fairly clean too). I think I'll try to find a matching pair. But thank you anyways!!