Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Masters Worlds 2018 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1157375)

southernfox 10-07-18 08:24 AM

Masters Worlds 2018
 
Good luck to everyone racing!

(I arrive Tues night)

southernfox 10-07-18 08:26 AM

Commentary: Men's 50-54 sprint 1/4 final, Koh's first sprint was bullllll****. He made a totally dangerous move into the sprint lane with his opponent already there.

BUT...going down was the rider's own fault: he panicked and easily could have stayed up. Interesting how 'the sprint was not engaged' makes all the difference. Koh got a warning, not a relegation. But it didn't matter because his opponent couldn't continue after the crash. (It was cool hearing the official's radio over the broadcast in the background.)

Morelock 10-07-18 10:47 AM

Good luck in your events.

I saw that Kevin Metcalfe repeated his win in the scratch race.

700wheel 10-07-18 01:32 PM

For those that are not up to date results, live video, and other info can be found at https://mastersworldsla.com/

southernfox 10-07-18 01:33 PM

Veloresults Live Timing

They also have live results on the landing page if events are underway (like the 35-39 men's pursuit is right now)

Divebrian 10-08-18 06:38 PM


Originally Posted by southernfox (Post 20604199)
Commentary: Men's 50-54 sprint 1/4 final, Koh's first sprint was bullllll****. He made a totally dangerous move into the sprint lane with his opponent already there.

Nothing new there......he took someone down at Nationals in pretty much similar fashion.

I think he brings a bit too much of his professional Kirin attitude to the sprints....most Master's are neither prepared for that nor do we want it. I have no issue with good, clean, close racing without contact, but I also realize that it is just a sport and it's not fair to put the other person in that position. On another note, Chris Murray won the 50-54 Gold for the third straight time in this age group, with Brian Abors nipping at his heals again with his third straight silver....

m_sasso 10-08-18 08:59 PM

Are the announcers on the youtube videos volunteers or paid? Even with the recent controversy at Jinglecross, has to be one of the flattest, most uninspiring, colourless sporting descriptions I have ever listened to. If I had never been to a track meet before I would think what a bore and want out at the earliest possibility. Is it that difficult to find someone with a little knowledge and passion?

taras0000 10-09-18 05:21 AM

Saw a video of the sprint. He definitely came down on the guy. I can see how the officials declared that the sprint wasn't underway, as neither of the guys had committed to going full gas. He should've been ejected from the comp right off, not just relegated. I heard he caused two incidents like this, coming down on riders from above.

topflightpro 10-09-18 06:00 AM

He did it at Masters Nationals too.

southernfox 10-09-18 08:27 AM

Pretty shocked Keiser didn't get relegated in his first 1/4 final sprint in the 35-39.

WOW...and his 2nd one. This guy's a psycho.

southernfox 10-09-18 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by m_sasso (Post 20607162)
Are the announcers on the youtube videos volunteers or paid? Even with the recent controversy at Jinglecross, has to be one of the flattest, most uninspiring, colourless sporting descriptions I have ever listened to. If I had never been to a track meet before I would think what a bore and want out at the earliest possibility. Is it that difficult to find someone with a little knowledge and passion?

This is normal. He's commentating over the loudspeaker, indoors, remember.

sarals 10-09-18 09:18 AM


Originally Posted by southernfox (Post 20607691)
This is normal. He's commentating over the loudspeaker, indoors, remember.

And, he's a volunteer, and a VERY GOOD announcer.

rensho3 10-09-18 09:39 AM

I was actually at the Koh sprint and was standing in the infield right opposite. I have been relegated for far less than what he did. I also watched the video later and disagree with the comment that it was the riders fault. There was contact, and that was what caused Steve to fall. A warning was not enough. I also disagree with the Officials comment that the sprint was not engaged. Being there, there was no question they were going full gas. While I know officials are only human, this was a no-brainer. Full disclosure, I train with Steve.

southernfox 10-09-18 10:24 AM


Originally Posted by rensho3 (Post 20607831)
I was actually at the Koh sprint and was standing in the infield right opposite. I have been relegated for far less than what he did. I also watched the video later and disagree with the comment that it was the riders fault. There was contact, and that was what caused Steve to fall. A warning was not enough. I also disagree with the Officials comment that the sprint was not engaged. Being there, there was no question they were going full gas. While I know officials are only human, this was a no-brainer. Full disclosure, I train with Steve.

The contact caused the rider to panic, and the panic caused the crash. He easily could have stayed up, is my point.

Divebrian 10-09-18 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by southernfox (Post 20607936)
The contact caused the rider to panic, and the panic caused the crash. He easily could have stayed up, is my point.


Had there been no contact, there would have been no panic........

southernfox 10-09-18 01:55 PM


Originally Posted by Divebrian (Post 20608111)
Had there been no contact, there would have been no panic........

Doesn't matter. It's not a 'cause' of the crash if a better rider would have stayed up and not panicked. (Look how fast he unclipped) The contact contributed to the crash, but the rider was ultimately at fault for panicking.

southernfox 10-09-18 03:17 PM

http://mastersworlds2018.veloresults...313M50spfr.pdf

Something must have gone down for the relegation...

brawlo 10-09-18 10:13 PM


Originally Posted by rensho3 (Post 20607831)
I was actually at the Koh sprint and was standing in the infield right opposite. I have been relegated for far less than what he did. I also watched the video later and disagree with the comment that it was the riders fault. There was contact, and that was what caused Steve to fall. A warning was not enough. I also disagree with the Officials comment that the sprint was not engaged. Being there, there was no question they were going full gas. While I know officials are only human, this was a no-brainer. Full disclosure, I train with Steve.

Steve has admitted fault in the situation and admitted to causing the end result by his own actions.


Originally Posted by southernfox (Post 20607936)
The contact caused the rider to panic, and the panic caused the crash. He easily could have stayed up, is my point.


Originally Posted by Divebrian (Post 20608111)
Had there been no contact, there would have been no panic........

This is the problem, sprinting has become so "soft" these days that a little contact or even potential contact can cause such panic. If you're going to ride in close quarters to other riders either on the track or on the road, then becoming acquainted with contact and what to do in the situation should be learned. Our club does a drill with young riders where (on the grass infield for safety) they ride side by side and have to end up riding through a pair of cones that are only wide enough for one rider to get through. They are required to lean on each other and become comfortable with the feeling and learn how to stay upright.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't like contact. I'm only an M3, but I've got a family to support and bills to pay. Potentially screwing myself up for a jersey and some bragging rights is not on my agenda. I will rub shoulders with people if they want to bring it on, but I know my limits, and if you're riding dangerously vs aggressively I'm out and you can have your win. Aggressive riding is a great tool in this age where so many might freak out with a little contact.

southernfox 10-10-18 09:18 AM

I've done similar drills on the track, where two of us are riding slow-ish and trying to force the other rider up or down track (or just on the apron). We're leaning so hard on each other that if the other person stops, you almost fall over. There was tonnes of communication at first, though, and especially when one of us wanted to 'stop' the drill and stop leaning on the other person.

I also come from the pro crit world where I've been flat-out bodychecked in a corner by someone who lost their line...and I didn't even skip a pedal stroke

I think that 'rubbing is racing' even though we shouldn't intentionally cause contact. But if someone hits us...we should have the skills to stay upright.

seau grateau 10-10-18 12:29 PM


Originally Posted by southernfox (Post 20607684)
Pretty shocked Keiser didn't get relegated in his first 1/4 final sprint in the 35-39.

WOW...and his 2nd one. This guy's a psycho.

Saw this while skimming through the YouTube videos earlier -- both instances seemed crazy out of line. Opposing rider was visibly pissed off and I can see why.

Baby Puke 10-10-18 04:30 PM


Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 20609799)
Saw this while skimming through the YouTube videos earlier -- both instances seemed crazy out of line. Opposing rider was visibly pissed off and I can see why.

Can you link these videos? Or tell how you searched them? Thanks

seau grateau 10-10-18 04:55 PM


Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 20610188)
Can you link these videos? Or tell how you searched them? Thanks

I've been watching on VSC's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/VeloSportsCenter

I just skim through the full videos once they're uploaded to get past the TTs.

Baby Puke 10-10-18 06:18 PM

Cool, thanks! Didn't know they had a channel, subscribing...

southernfox 10-10-18 06:26 PM


Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 20609799)
Saw this while skimming through the YouTube videos earlier -- both instances seemed crazy out of line. Opposing rider was visibly pissed off and I can see why.

It's also CLEARLY intentional. ...psycho

queerpunk 10-10-18 07:36 PM

heh, that was fabian keiser. somebody told me that he was the guy who was responsible for this:



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.