Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Which Hybrid Bike to buy for a beginner? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1166139)

monku 02-10-19 01:19 PM

Which Hybrid Bike to buy for a beginner?

Hi,

I am a beginner level biker. I am interested in buying a hybrid bike.
I shortlisted couple:
  • Raleigh Redux 2
  • Canondale Bad Boy 3
  • Giant Escape 2 disc
  • Diamondback Haanjo 1
Would like to ask experts here what do they recommend and how good are the ones I shortlisted above ?
I am looking for a bike with disc brakes, multi-level speeds/gears, not-so-heavy frame. Also, don't want to spend more than $600.

Would appreciate some inputs.

Thanks
M

bubba_g 02-10-19 03:47 PM

I have the escape 2 and really like it.
Put ergon grips on it and spd pedals and it’s great
Usually do 15 - 20 miles and it’s very comfortable

Juggy_Gales 02-10-19 06:23 PM

Another good option is
The Giant Talon 3
While it is an Entry level Mountain Bike.. You get a decent 100mm front suspension fork.. It is pretty Light.. you can get it in 29er or 27.5 inch wheels.
It has Hydro Disc Brakes.. It's a Rugged Bike so you can throw it around without worrying about messing it up.. The wheels are sturdy..
It is set up to take a rear rack for pannier bags if you chose to turn it into a touring Bike.. If I didn't opt to buy the Toughroad SLR2 I was going to buy the Talon 3.. Which my buddy did buy and he still loves it over a year later..

The Talon retails for $540 and is a good looking bike here, check it out:
Giant Talon 3 29er
(I linked the 29er because the tire size is closest to a road bike)

monku 02-10-19 07:16 PM

I like Talon 29 3 2019.
Thanks a ton.

Juggy_Gales 02-10-19 07:55 PM

Hey No problem, when you do make your final decision.. post pics or tell us a story about your experience buying and how you enjoy your choice.

TakingMyTime 02-10-19 07:56 PM

monku,

Since you are new keep in mind that although you've set a spending limit, you're also going to want a helmet, spare tubes, water bottles and cages, pump, tire repair kit. After you get everything you really need you'll probably be adding at least $100 - $150 to the price of the bike. All the extras can add up really fast.

daoswald 02-10-19 08:06 PM

You've already narrowed it down, so all we may do is add confusing and conflicting suggestions. Mine is to also consider a bike from the Cannondale Quick line, like a Quick 5, which I think would come in around your budget. At least go ride one to compare how it feels with how others feel.

The Quick is a road oriented hybrid, and the Quick CX is a path/groomed trail/road oriented one.

monku 02-10-19 08:14 PM

@TakingMyTime Absolutely. I have those figure(though roughly) in mind. The budget figure above was just for the bike. My bad.

monku 02-10-19 08:16 PM

@Juggy_Gales Will do for sure.

fietsbob 02-10-19 08:41 PM

LBS, go

the one you liked best after test riding it in your local bike shop..

Raleigh is the only one on your list sold here , but you wont be coming here to ride them..

its raining anyhow..

Juggy_Gales 02-10-19 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20788631)
the one you liked best after test riding it in your local bike shop..

Raleigh is the only one on your list sold here , but you wont be coming here to ride them..

its raining anyhow..

I did that.. went to 3 diff LBS in my area and tested a bunch of diff bikes..
FX, cypress, sedona dx, roam, escape, talon, toughroad..

I did like the Talon and the Roam felt good too.. but ultimately chose the slightly more expensive Toughroad..
A year later.. I still love my Toughroad.. I am opting to upgrade it.
rather than dropping lots of $ on a whole new bike..
the Upgrades will improve shifting, ride and performance.

BrocLuno 02-11-19 09:57 AM

That's what I recommend too. Get a solid frame and geometry with 1-1/8 steer that you like. Upgrade fork later to light better performing unit down the road. Ditto wheels. Keep OEM wheels with more severe tires for off road adventures, etc. Tweaks and improvements will expand the range of places and conditions where it will perform well :)

BikeTall 02-23-19 07:31 PM

I am biased cause I own one, but the Giant Escape 2! Best hybrid I have ever owned. Comfy & quick. Love this thing. Commute with it to work every day and use it on weekends for longer rides.

sail 02-24-19 09:06 AM

Test rides will decide for you.