Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   A ticking feeling in the bottom bracket? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175600)

krecik 06-13-19 07:43 PM

A ticking feeling in the bottom bracket?

:)​​​​​​​

DOS 06-13-19 08:12 PM

What type of BB?

Bigbus 06-13-19 08:29 PM

If you're running loose bearings in the BB I would wonder about adjustment after they settled into their groove. If you're running a sealed cartridge and it's a new build, I'd be at a loss unless it's carrying through from frame flex. Sorry, no help here/

3alarmer 06-13-19 08:55 PM

...before you blame the BB bearing assemblies, it only takes a minute or two to look for interference of one of the crank arms. It's usually the front derailleur cage that is interfering on a new build. If that's what it is, it does it when the front derailleur cage is fully extended.

KCT1986 06-13-19 09:34 PM

With square taper, it may "settle-in" during the first few rides. It requires a little tightening of the crank fixing bolt.

Also check chainring bolts.

Cyclist0108 06-13-19 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by krecik (Post 20977792)
Anybody had this?

I feel this kinda 'tick' during a downstroke in the pedals during climbs. It's not audible, I just feel it with my feet, it's driving me nuts.

I had a simmilar issue recently with a creaking noise which was caused by a loose pedal but I corrected it.

Could it be a loose bb? If it was a second had bike I probsbly wouldn't notice but I'm riding a fresh build and I'm very sensitive to any less-than-optimal performance. It was ridgid and now it ticks...

Thoughts?

For me, it was too tight a bottom-bracket. Disassemble, clean, re-grease, and put it back together. Or if it is of the new external variety, chuck it in a landfill and get a new one.

daoswald 06-13-19 11:26 PM

Stand up, do you still feel it? Probably just eliminated seat rails and post.

Swap the pedals with those plastic junkers the shop threw in with it on day one. Still feel it? Not the pedals.

Remove the chain and pedal while coasting. Stopped feeling it? Something in the drivetrain. Still feel it? Bottom bracket or crank arms.

I spent way too long trying to find a ticking. Mine was audible though. Turned out to be a pedal.

canklecat 06-14-19 12:06 AM

Check the easy stuff first.

Start with the spokes. Pinch them where they cross. If you hear any squeaking, there's the likely culprit. If you feel any unusual friction or grit, that may translate to squeaking under load when pedaling hard.

I chased down a persistent squeak last year that most occurred on climbs or standing to pedal. Ended up rebuilding the BB, hubs, checking the cassette several times, etc.

Nope. It was the rear spokes. First time I've had wheels with black finish spokes and they were squeaking. I tried oil and grease but what worked best was leftover scented candle wax. There's usually a little left in the jar after the wick burns out. Scented candle wax is soft enough to scrape off with a fingertip or fingernail. I just moosh it between the spoke crossings. Lasts about a month before the squeaking starts again.

I had a similar issue with another wheelset, a low priced Wheelmaster for my errand bike. For the first month the spokes would occasionally ping under load or when climbing. Settled down after a month so nothing else was needed. Those were heavy gauge plain aluminum or steel (hard to tell, small magnets don't stick to some steel). No persistent squeaks after a brief break-in period.

krecik 06-14-19 02:11 AM

krecik 06-14-19 02:11 AM

krecik 06-14-19 02:13 AM

dsbrantjr 06-14-19 05:12 AM

If this is the same bike you had asked about chain tension, make sure you do not have the chain too tight. There should always be some slack in the chain at all positions of the crank and cog.

DOS 06-14-19 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by krecik (Post 20978063)
Loose ball bearing, cup and cone style.

If none of the less invasive stuff works, check for play in the spindle and adjust as needed. Also it never hurts to check bearings and cups for gunk and pits.

pdlamb 06-14-19 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 20978019)
Nope. It was the rear spokes. First time I've had wheels with black finish spokes and they were squeaking. I tried oil and grease but what worked best was leftover scented candle wax. There's usually a little left in the jar after the wick burns out. Scented candle wax is soft enough to scrape off with a fingertip or fingernail. I just moosh it between the spoke crossings. Lasts about a month before the squeaking starts again.

Enquiring minds want to know: what scent works best?

canklecat 06-14-19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 20978432)
Enquiring minds want to know: what scent works best?

I prefer sandalwood but my spokes prefer cinnamon apple.

krecik 06-14-19 12:54 PM

krecik 06-14-19 12:57 PM

DOS 06-14-19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by krecik (Post 20978921)
I'll try to tighten the cups.

I really don't want to get in there. It's a new bike (maybe like 3 weeks old). New grease, new dust seals and everything, i really doubt any grime has gotten in there but I might have to, who knows...

Makes sense, didn't know it was a new bike. You might check BB in bot directions, too loose or too tight as an overtightened adjustable cup could also be the culprit. But on a new bike, I would suspect something outside the BB, particularly since, I gather, you have been having chain issues.