Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=991230)

72Paramount 01-25-15 06:45 PM

What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)?

Whether you are working on a classic, waiting on parts, looking for another, riding with the family, give us a glimpse into what you are doing in the bike world today.

Today I am at a stand still on My Masi. I am waiting on a wheel set to arrive from Italy(could be awhile) I went out to the shed to see what bikes I want to get rid of. A mid 80s raleigh technium, a wall hanger 71 paramount,hutch expert project, a dl1 tourist loop, and a yamaha motobike... Maybe it's yard sale time. I'd like to add insulation and electricity and turn the shed into a proper bike room. As I get better stuff I need to let go of past projects, hard to let go of some, others not so much.

cb400bill 01-25-15 07:13 PM

Lately, nothing.

Ice, snow, and cold temps curtail my wrenching and riding this time of year.

mrv 01-25-15 07:18 PM

yea... Michigan is in full "fat" bike mode (lots of ice). I've not got one, don't want one.

TODAY - I wrapped up the bars on an old Specialized TourHopper drop bar conversion. No photos yet.
Waiting on some bars from another forum member to finish up a Nishiki rebuild (paint stripped, brazed rack mounts, powder coated). Gotta order long reach brakes for it too.
Should be ready by spring.
Wrenching in a cold garage - yea - stinks.

jimmuller 01-25-15 07:25 PM

After a morning of running errands and spending time at the gym, I spent the whole afternoon wrenching on bikes, mostly building a Terry for my sweetie. It is done enough to put it on a trainer, and with brake cables it would be rideable. But the final build is waiting on a few parts from a fellow BF member.

I also swapped around some wheels between bikes. It's a long story. I've been building up a Fuji for a friend and had tentatively given it the Mavic wheels which were on my Bianchi. I had intended to give the Bianchi the Campy/Torelli wheels I'd built for it originally but which had been diverted to the Masi until I built the Masi's current sew-up wheels. However the Gazelle frame would be a better use for them, so I put the Fuji's original Sanshin/Ukai wheels back on it, and the Mavics back on the Bianchi, which meant the Normandy/Fiammi wheels went back on the Bertin even though they don't have tires at the moment. Like I said, it's a long story. You can wake up now.

bicyclelove 01-25-15 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mrv (Post 17499967)
yea... Michigan is in full "fat" bike mode (lots of ice). I've not got one, don't want one.

TODAY - I wrapped up the bars on an old Specialized TourHopper drop bar conversion. No photos yet.
Waiting on some bars from another forum member to finish up a Nishiki rebuild (paint stripped, brazed rack mounts, powder coated). Gotta order long reach brakes for it too.
Should be ready by spring.
Wrenching in a cold garage - yea - stinks.

didn't think I wanted a fat bike until I rode one. One ride changed my mind, it's HUGE fun.

Right now I'm working on my first full restoration. It's a Miyata 210, nothing too special but I'm having fun doing my first complete resto from a bare metal frame. As soon as I get my computer up and running again I will start a thread with pictures.

Really you you should try a fat bike, I'm totally hooked on mine now!

icepick_trotsky 01-25-15 07:26 PM

Went to a big regional swap meet. Lots of tempting frames, including a gorgeous Mercian in my size, but I passed. I did get some nice tools, a hub, and a jersey to match my Guerciotti, though.

Straightblock 01-25-15 07:41 PM

It doesn't sound very heroic, but I was shopping for shoes that might be suitable for Eroica CA if I need to walk any of the steep gravel roads. When I got back I took a short ride on the Olmo.

mrv 01-25-15 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by bicyclelove (Post 17499985)
Really you you should try a fat bike, I'm totally hooked on mine now!

i totally don't need another bike..... that does not match the 3 wheel sizes I'm already dealing with! (700C, 26in, and one 27in bike that needs to go)

wrk101 01-25-15 08:08 PM

Working on the new workshop today, running compressed air header system. As usual, missing a few odds and ends before it can be complete. I even changed the oil in the air compressor (long overdue).

Prowler 01-25-15 08:32 PM

Job #1 is still the sliding barn doors for SWMBO's horse barn. Big job and big doors (6 foot by 8 foot each). But in between tasks I'm bumping the 68 Raleigh Grand Prix renovation forward. All the parts are done now except the wheels/hubs and I got started on them today. High flange Normandy hubs and Sturmey-Archer steel rims. That old British chrome sure has held up great and cleans up great. I also made the temporary brake hoods from an old mtn bike inner tube. I'll be riding the bike for a few weeks as I get the final ergos adjusted so I'll use old inner tube sections to cover the bars and for hoods.

I may get to start the re-assembly on Tuesday since they say we'll get 6 to 8 inches more snow so I'll stay home all day. I'm looking forward to this. The reno has been challenging but I expect the GP will come out quite nicely. It will be some time before I find out as there are still a couple of months more before the roads are cleaned by spring rains.

AZORCH 01-25-15 08:44 PM

I've been doing some general clean up and maintenance on the herd, and going through the painful process of figuring out which ones I'm going to put up on the sale block. I'm trying to get down to four bikes. (Ha!)

nesteel 01-25-15 08:54 PM

Finisihed (for now) the Semi-Pro.
Ordered the Campy bb tool so I can swap out the bb on the Torpado.
Eyeballed the next potential N+1 C/V.
That's it.............

nlerner 01-25-15 09:03 PM

I should have put studded tires on the commuter bike as we're supposed to get a blizzard on Tuesday. I'll do it on Tuesday.

iab 01-25-15 09:14 PM

Unloading C&V crap on ebay.

Had a good night.

bicyclelove 01-25-15 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by mrv (Post 17500088)
i totally don't need another bike..... that does not match the 3 wheel sizes I'm already dealing with! (700C, 26in, and one 27in bike that needs to go)

Don't need another bike! Awwww c'mon I thought here in C&V the rule was N+1. :) I'm thinking I have to get a 29er a 650b and a 27.5 yet to make my collection complete.

bicyclelove 01-25-15 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 17500214)
I should have put studded tires on the commuter bike as we're supposed to get a blizzard on Tuesday. I'll do it on Tuesday.

A blizzard? You lucky dog. I wish we had ANY snow here in MN. This has been the worst winter ever!

northbend 01-25-15 09:38 PM

Amazing weather here today. Record high of 63 in Seattle. I rode a Century with forumite RogerM. He got 108 miles and I added a few more at 114 by riding to our meeting place. The bike I used was a 1988 Paramount fixed gear. Roger rode his white Stan Johnson with campy 7 speed

Michael Angelo 01-25-15 09:43 PM

[h=1]What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)??[/h]
Riding my Team Pro in this south florida winter weather, horrid I tell ya, just horrid......:roflmao2:

NJgreyhead 01-25-15 09:47 PM

Today I got to road-test my new-ish 1974 Raleigh Super Course Mk II after swapping out a seat post and doing a spoke replacement and wheel truing with my new stand.
All systems go. My coffee-shop mates gathered at the bike rack in the cold and nodded their approval.
And I was happily reminded how nice the bike goes down the road.
Then in my car I chauffeured a couple of the boys to REI where we all picked up some supplies.
A good C&V day.

R3tired 01-25-15 10:09 PM

i shined up a chorus ti post, grammo stem, and Cinelli Top64 bars for the next winter project.

seedsbelize 01-25-15 10:12 PM

I rode 70 miles today, to see if I can still do a hundred (I can). The kind of day that rolls around once or twice a year, and they fell back to back and on the weekend this time. Highs below 80. Fabulous!

RiseAlways 01-25-15 10:15 PM

Had to pick up some orange Cinelli cork bar tape today to wrap the bars of my early 80s Peugeot PX10....going to wrap them tomorrow with my 4 yr old son,... he actually helped me install the headset in it a week ago!
Need to toss on the ice tires on my Trek Mtn bike (crazy snowfall coming,..soon...as in a few hours!).
Going to take my UO-8 out in the light snow early tomorrow morning (it was made into a single speed, and I put some Conti Cyclo-king rubber on it at 32mm),...

Oggling expensive bikes on ebay,... (no money to buy them,.. no place to put them if I had the dough!)

Number_6 01-25-15 10:20 PM

Bone-chilling most air here today- that's the way it feels when the snow is melting in the 30s and low 40's. So, I just put the new Panaracer Pasela PT's on the Raleigh Team USA.

thinktubes 01-25-15 10:32 PM

Trying to decide if I should stick with a 20 year-old Mavic Open Pro Ceramic rim when I get the rear wheel rebuilt. It still looks great, but probably has 15000+ miles on it.

D1andonlyDman 01-25-15 10:35 PM

I took my newly acquired Trek Y-Foil 77 on it's shakedown ride. Adjusted the seat to fit right, and then put some miles on it. And about 8 miles in, I flatted. Turns out that there was a burr on the rear valve-stem hole, that caused a small hole at the base of the valve-stem. So I took care of that and put a new tube in, and rode another 8 miles.