Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   take out a spacer or longer stem (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1078024)

jnobles 08-26-16 06:09 PM

take out a spacer or longer stem

I have just recently started riding again after a 6 month layoff. I am finding myself more comfortable in the drops then on the hoods. I feel like I am pushing back when I am on the hoods but still feel a little cramped in the drops. Not sure if I should go with a long stem or take out a spacer. Any advice helps. Thank you in advance

berner 08-27-16 10:23 AM

My guess, judging from my own going back and forth with the same question, is to try moving the seat back a cm or so. It the hoods then continue to feel better, drop a spacer.

NickFit0036 09-14-16 08:05 PM

It is hard to recommend that you move the saddle anywhere without seeing you on the bike. I would recommend dropping a spacer or two like berner said only because it has a 1/3 chance of helping you and a 100% chance of not costing you any money. The other 2/3 chance would be either moving the saddle in some way (either fore/aft, up/down, or even the tilt can cause this problem if its tiled too far down) or lengthening the stem.

Nick Zema
Bought A Bike Online? I Come To You Build & Fit It. Road Mountain Tri

jnobles 09-25-16 05:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
See if this gives you and idea. PS my wife took these pics so they are not exactly lined up or on level with me.

Carbonfiberboy 09-25-16 08:13 PM

You look good. For reach, I like to see a 90° angle between the upper arm and torso. Your angle is a little less than that, so I think you could go with a longer stem. You notice how your angle doesn't change between hoods and drops. That's good.

nycphotography 09-25-16 08:25 PM

your elbows are locked which tells me you should not go for more reach, if anything 1cm shorter stem, but probably. not necesary as your fit is good if you work on body position.

remove the spacers.

practice bending the elbows all the time, lowering your torso, and supporting most of your weight with your core.

Carbonfiberboy 09-25-16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by nycphotography (Post 19081221)
your elbows are locked which tells me you should not go for more reach, if anything 1cm shorter stem, but probably. not necesary as your fit is good if you work on body position.

remove the spacers.

practice bending the elbows all the time, lowering your torso, and supporting most of your weight with your core.

Reach has nothing to do with elbow angle.

nycphotography 09-25-16 10:15 PM

when you teach for something, your arms are not extended and your elbows straight?

jnobles 09-26-16 10:30 AM

I think it is the angle of the photo, but my elbows are not locked.