Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Dahon checked baggage (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175036)

marfar 06-07-19 09:13 AM

Dahon checked baggage

Hi everyone,

I'll be traveling to Europe with my folder next month, and I'm stumped by the flight restrictions and checking luggage/bikes. So far, I see two options, pay the $80 (Norwegian) for the bike or pay the $50 for checked luggage and remove the derailer, fenders, tires, rack, etc. I can't carry the luggage with me, so I'll have to abandon it at the airport...hate to do that.

Question 1: Has anyone checked a folder as a "bike" and packed it into a soft side bike bag? I know full size bikes go in the cardboard bike boxes, but will airlines allow the soft side bags that are well padded with bubble wrap?

Question 2: Anyone ever rented bike luggage from the airport? Apparently, this can be done!

I don't mind taking it apart, but I'll be bikepacking for 6 weeks, which means I'll leave the suitcase at the airport and have to find another one when I fly back to the US.

linberl 06-07-19 09:27 AM

If you google "flying with a bike friday" you will find tons of info on flying with bikes in suitcases. Doesn't matter that yours is a Dahon, the info will still be valid.
It's just that BF owners have a lot of experience flying with their bikes.

kayakindude 06-07-19 10:28 AM

I fly mine all of the time, Vybe in a suitcase.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...51686af967.jpg

I leave my fenders at home and pack a quick release rear fender.

BromptonINrio 06-07-19 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by marfar (Post 20966991)
Hi everyone,

I'll be traveling to Europe with my folder next month, and I'm stumped by the flight restrictions and checking luggage/bikes. So far, I see two options, pay the $80 (Norwegian) for the bike or pay the $50 for checked luggage and remove the derailer, fenders, tires, rack, etc. I can't carry the luggage with me, so I'll have to abandon it at the airport...hate to do that.

Question 1: Has anyone checked a folder as a "bike" and packed it into a soft side bike bag? I know full size bikes go in the cardboard bike boxes, but will airlines allow the soft side bags that are well padded with bubble wrap?

Question 2: Anyone ever rented bike luggage from the airport? Apparently, this can be done!

I don't mind taking it apart, but I'll be bikepacking for 6 weeks, which means I'll leave the suitcase at the airport and have to find another one when I fly back to the US.

question 1: they will allow, but your bike will be crushed.

question 2: never saw this service

why dont you go with a cardbox?
if you take wheels apart it can become an airline legal case.

marfar 06-07-19 10:38 AM

BromptonINrio,
We have the boxes the bikes came in. Do you think these would work? Fit the size requirements? I must say, this is the bonus of the Brompton, lol. Not saying I regret the Dahon, but I do see where you all have the benefit in this area!

marfar 06-07-19 10:39 AM

kayakindude,
I am considering going to Goodwill to find a crazy cheap suitcase to just leave at the next airport for the next person...my husband wants to use the boxes that the bikes came in, but I feel like this will be a red flag at the airport.

kayakindude 06-07-19 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by marfar (Post 20967208)
kayakindude,
I am considering going to Goodwill to find a crazy cheap suitcase to just leave at the next airport for the next person...my husband wants to use the boxes that the bikes came in, but I feel like this will be a red flag at the airport.

It can't hurt to try Goodwill or even CL 1st. Boxes can be plan B.

1nterceptor 06-07-19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by marfar (Post 20967208)
kayakindude,

I think the Dahon cardboard box will be oversized. Because the Dahon bike is already complete/assembled. If you're willing to disassemble the bike anyway; see if it will fit a Brompton or Birdy box.
These boxes are within the airline size limits. Usually free from the shops here; they're just going to be recycled anyway. One time I was in a rush; I made my own box(for a Brompton):
https://live.staticflickr.com/3823/9...dc2a517972.jpg
Brompton folding bike; ready for check-in by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

m56ewt 06-07-19 06:57 PM

Hello everyone, I am the spouse of the OP and appreciate everyone’s input. Do you happen to know the exact dimensions of the Brompton or Birdy box that is considered within the airline size limits? I may try and construct from the Dahon boxes that we already have.

1nterceptor 06-07-19 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by m56ewt (Post 20968073)
Hello everyone, I am the spouse of the OP and appreciate everyone’s input. Do you happen to know the exact dimensions of the Brompton or Birdy box that is considered within the airline size limits? I may try and construct from the Dahon boxes that we already have.

Brompton box is 25" X 23" X 12"; measurements in inches. Well within airlines' limit of 62". Birdy box will be slightly bigger; but I think within the limit.
If you're going to dissect the Dahon box; may I suggest maximizing the size to the limit. And I would suggest to make the shape more rectangle than square.

2_i 06-07-19 08:47 PM

I transported Boardwalk-type Dahons in Brompton's B&W case with dimensions at the border of airline limit 25x24x13. There was a significant disassembly required and I had to put one wheel in another case in my memory. However B&W is not optimal for Dahon that folds into a rectangular shape while Brompton into square, going into cube, shape.

tomtomtom123 06-09-19 04:30 PM

The XL size case from this set of 3x luggage would fit a disassembled 20" Dahon and wheels, according to my rough calculations. To be more safe, I would put the frame, fork, seatpost, handlepost in the L size case by themselves. And then put the wheels in the XL size case with your panniers. The B ware set goes for around $20. But supposedly 50% are broken because they're customer returns that they didn't bother checking before reselling. A new set costs around $70. The XL size is supposedly 1-2cm longer than the max 158cm linear dimension for standard baggage, but it might get past. You can take these and comfortably dump the cases on arrival, or else put it up on classifieds at the city you're flying into. I'm sure there are giveaway message boards. If it's a typical european airport that is close to the city center, people looking for free stuff can either drive there to take the cases from you or they'll take the train and meet you at the airport.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/RETOURE-3tlg...L/264355790323

I would wrap all the exposed corners in cheap pole protector foam that probably cost at most $10, and zip tie them together. You should probably ziptie the seatpost, handlepost, and fork to the frame so that they don't bang against each other. You can get a rear dropout spacer with a quick release for $10 meant for transportation, to hold the dropouts apart so the stays don't get bent. I haven't found a front one for 74mm, but you can simply use a M5x100mm (or M6, M8) bolt, 4x double sized washers and 4x nuts to hold the front fork apart.

I wouldn't check in a bike in a cardboard box. They will get smashed, dropped, etc. I had my bike fully assembled and folded in the original cardboard box once in an airplane, and it arrived with the lever bent inside out. Some airlines won't reimburse damaged bicycles if not packed and well protected inside a hard case.

fietsbob 06-09-19 05:22 PM

plan ahead

because its on the outside of the fold, unscrew the rear derailleur and zip tie it to the wheel so it wont bend the hanger..

its something I do shipping bikes ..