Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question about the forum rule that prevents new members from posting pictures (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185647)

_ForceD_ 10-13-19 08:02 AM

Question about the forum rule that prevents new members from posting pictures

I've wanted to ask this question for some time...

Can one of the moderators, or anyone, explain the purpose of the rule that prevents new forum members from posting pictures? I mean I guess it has something to do with keeping internet trolls from posting unwanted pictures, etc. But on almost a daily basis, there are new users seeking advice and guidance from the forum in general (especially in the Bicycle Mechanics forum)...when they frequently need to post a picture to help them explain their predicament...and they're prohibited from doing so. Instead of preventing them from posting pictures, why can't a "clearinghouse" be established for them instead? Once the new user's post with pictures is entered, it has to be cleared for posting by a moderator to make sure it's acceptable.

But the other question I have is...and I've never tried it...but can't you (or the new member) just cut-n-paste the URL link of the picture and at least include that in their post? It would at least give the established members a place to go look at the picture the new member needs to use to explain their predicament. Of course if it's a picture they're taking themselves, and not a picture from the internet, they'd need to have a site to host that picture for them.

Dan

LAJ 10-13-19 08:55 AM

Simply put, this site is a magnet for spam posts, and this is one way to limit some of the more atrocious ways they can attack the site.

As far as this clearinghouse, that's all good and fine if we could have someone monitor it 24/7. Believe it or not, the mod staff likes to ride their bikes, and do other things as well.... URL's are also a problem in the spam world, so that's not an option either, until the minimum is reached.

Greet some new members in the introductions, get ten posts, easy as pie.

GlennR 10-13-19 09:07 AM

Wouldn't this topic belong in https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...er-assistance/

Speaking of rules ;)

_ForceD_ 10-13-19 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21161760)
Simply put, this site is a magnet for spam posts, and this is one way to limit some of the more atrocious ways they can attack the site.

As far as this clearinghouse, that's all good and fine if we could have someone monitor it 24/7. Believe it or not, the mod staff likes to ride their bikes, and do other things as well.... URL's are also a problem in the spam world, so that's not an option either, until the minimum is reached.

Greet some new members in the introductions, get ten posts, easy as pie.

I understand that the mods like to ride too. But since new users don't get to post for ## posts...it doesn't need to be monitored 24/7. Just have those posts compile until the mods can get to them.

Well, what I sorta meant about the URLs is...instead of posting, for example, "www.bikeforums.net" post it as "www dot bikeforums dot net"

Dan

_ForceD_ 10-13-19 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21161773)
Wouldn't this topic belong in https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...er-assistance/

Speaking of rules ;)

My bad. Didn't realize we had one.

Dan

FiftySix 10-13-19 10:07 AM

One only has to post 10 times over 48 hours in bicycle related forums. That's not hard to reach if one intends to participate in BF, IMO.

FiftySix 10-13-19 10:15 AM

BTW, can you imagine what photos this fed up member would have put up?

GlennR 10-13-19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21161845)
One only has to post 10 times over 48 hours in bicycle related forums. That's not hard to reach if one intends to participate in BF, IMO.

I've seen quite a few just reply to their own topics enough to reach 10.

rmwesley 10-13-19 10:30 AM

This thread had provided the perfect opportunity to get me another post :lol: I don't see any issue with it. 10 posts isn't going to take anyone to long to achieve.

Bryan C. 10-13-19 10:35 AM

I'm a moderator on another forum. We had a major influx of spam bots posting on our forum and went with something a little more intrusive. If the user's first post contained a link of any kind it was hidden and required a moderator to review it before it went live on the forum. Bypassing the forum filter by spelling out the link (www dot bikeforums dot net) is considered a violation of the forum rules and would result in the post getting deleted.

I know it seems like a pain, but it really does help keeping the spam under control. Most spam bots post something and will see if it goes live on the forum, then a human will come along and post more under that account until they are stopped/blocked from doing so. 24/7 monitoring requires too much time and effort from a volunteer moderator team. Hell, there is no way I would volunteer for something like that.

10 posts is nothing, really. For someone who is looking for a quick answer it can be frustrating but for those who intend to join in and contribute it is a minor inconvenience.

Bryan C. 10-13-19 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by rmwesley (Post 21161880)
This thread had provided the perfect opportunity to get me another post :lol: I don't see any issue with it. 10 posts isn't going to take anyone to long to achieve.

Nice to see you maintaining your one post per year quota. Just think, in a few more years you can post a pic of your bike. :roflmao2:

unterhausen 10-13-19 11:37 AM

If someone can't find something to comment about 5 times a day for 2 days, they are self censoring too much.

As someone that has spent hours deleting spam as fast as I could back when these new rules were not in force, I am entirely unapologetic about them. It takes an impressive amount of dedication to post spam here nowadays.

Pretty sure new members can put photos in their gallery

rmwesley 10-13-19 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan C. (Post 21161891)
Nice to see you maintaining your one post per year quota. Just think, in a few more years you can post a pic of your bike. :roflmao2:

What can I say Bryan, I am a man of few words. By drawing me out into a reply I will now be forced to remain silent on the forum for the whole of 2020 :roflmao2:

I-Like-To-Bike 10-13-19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21161872)
I've seen quite a few just reply to their own topics enough to reach 10.

But there is only one who infamously will quote himself and/or reply to his own previous posts 10 times, all in one post. :lol:

datlas 10-13-19 12:47 PM

I can see both sides. Agree 10 posts is not too hard...

But also understand that a newbie who joins specifically seeking a quick answer to a question may be frustrated by the inability to post a pic.

Life is full of trade-offs.

shelbyfv 10-13-19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21162007)
But there is only one who infamously will quote himself and/or reply to his own previous posts 10 times, all in one post. :lol:

Surely nobody here is so deranged....

Lemond1985 10-13-19 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21162007)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...078f52de88.jpg