Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Peter (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170463)

Rajflyboy 04-12-19 07:21 PM

Peter

He is struggling this spring in the classics. I know he has been sick. I hope he can turn up the wick at the TDF and get some stage wins.

With Sky stinking up the show we need the best rider in the world to at least get 3 or 4 stage wins this year in the Tour.

Get well soon Peter Sagan :thumb:

Pemetic2006 04-13-19 06:49 AM

I was disappointed that the group he was in during the closing kilometers of Flanders seemed unaware there was a relative unknown rider about to win and didn't seem interested in chasing him down, but it was great for the Italian to get the win.
I hope Peter gets back to form starting tomorrow (Paris - Roubaix) but if not then by the TdF.
As for Sky, I just assume they will win the Giro and the TdF. They deserve it, in my opinion. I haven't seen any team that can beat them.

one4smoke 04-13-19 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy (Post 20882433)
He is struggling this spring in the classics. I know he has been sick. I hope he can turn up the wick at the TDF and get some stage wins.

With Sky stinking up the show we need the best rider in the world to at least get 3 or 4 stage wins this year in the Tour.

I'd say he's about 85% currently. Hopefully he'll have some strong finishes soon.

I was gonna start a thread myself on him but since we are already here... What do you guys think has been Sagan's greatest win ever? Last year's Paris Roubaix? I can watch the last 10 minutes of that race over and over and not get tired of seeing it.

one4smoke 04-13-19 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pemetic2006 (Post 20882806)
I was disappointed that the group he was in during the closing kilometers of Flanders seemed unaware there was a relative unknown rider about to win and didn't seem interested in chasing him down, but it was great for the Italian to get the win.
I hope Peter gets back to form starting tomorrow (Paris - Roubaix) but if not then by the TdF.
As for Sky, I just assume they will win the Giro and the TdF. They deserve it, in my opinion. I haven't seen any team that can beat them.

Yes, and then Wout van Aert had the audacity to blame Sagan for it. Damn crybaby.

Rajflyboy 04-13-19 07:57 PM

I’d say Paris Roubaix is his best race but then again it’s MY favorite pro race of the year.

MinnMan 04-14-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy (Post 20883563)
I’d say Paris Roubaix is his best race but then again it’s MY favorite pro race of the year.

Well, he was unlikely to repeat his feat from 2018 - that was a race for the ages.
He rode a strong race today, but the Belgians had more. 3 out of the top 4 finishers, and such a small country. Just imagine what the US could produce if it had a cycling culture to match that.

Rajflyboy 04-14-19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 20884362)
Well, he was unlikely to repeat his feat from 2018 - that was a race for the ages.
He rode a strong race today, but the Belgians had more. 3 out of the top 4 finishers, and such a small country. Just imagine what the US could produce if it had a cycling culture to match that.

We have it too easy here. Although I’d like to see Ashton Lambie get into some road racing to see what he can do. That man is a beast on a bicycle.

one4smoke 04-14-19 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 20884362)

Even though Sagan didin't win, it was a great race. Congrats to Gilbert. Glad it was a Specialized rider.

The Paris Roubaix is probably THE most exciting race to watch. As a fan, I'm virtually on the edge of my seat the entire way. It's just a blast to watch. Of course it doesn't hurt when you have a rider to pull for (Sagan) and one you definitely don't (van Aert). ;)

sofaman 04-14-19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by one4smoke (Post 20884547)
Even though Sagan didin't win, it was a great race. Congrats to Gilbert. Glad it was a Specialized rider.

The Paris Roubaix is probably THE most exciting race to watch. As a fan, I'm virtually on the edge of my seat the entire way. It's just a blast to watch. Of course it doesn't hurt when you have a rider to pull for (Sagan) and one you definitely don't (van Aert). ;)

Yep, great race. So, don't take this as a challenge, just trying to learn, but why the diss on van Aert? I know him casually as a dominant cyclocross rider who has impressed in a quick conversion to road racing. Is there a primadonna thing there?

Also, for a guy recovering from a sickness, P.S. sure did impress.

one4smoke 04-14-19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sofaman (Post 20884931)
Yep, great race. So, don't take this as a challenge, just trying to learn, but why the diss on van Aert? I know him casually as a dominant cyclocross rider who has impressed in a quick conversion to road racing. Is there a primadonna thing there?

Also, for a guy recovering from a sickness, P.S. sure did impress.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...landers-413295

rutan74 04-15-19 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy (Post 20882433)

Sagan, for Sagan has been off this year no doubt but I bet it has more to do with his divorce than him getting that stomach bug. Not many are talking about it, but a divorce effects everyone and in my opinion this is more of a reason than a simple stomach bug.

john

Rajflyboy 04-15-19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by rutan74 (Post 20885709)
Sagan, for Sagan has been off this year no doubt but I bet it has more to do with his divorce than him getting that stomach bug. Not many are talking about it, but a divorce effects everyone and in my opinion this is more of a reason than a simple stomach bug.

john

That’s exactly what Lance and Hincapie said on the podcast. At this level of riding any hiccup in one’s personal life could be enough to reduce performance and also to get sick more often from the stress.

Caretaker 04-25-19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pemetic2006 (Post 20882806)

Sky won't win the Giro or the TdF, take it from me.

Pemetic2006 04-25-19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Caretaker (Post 20900879)
Sky won't win the Giro or the TdF, take it from me.

OK. But Ineos sure will.

one4smoke 04-26-19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by rutan74 (Post 20885709)

john

Probably just a combo of all of-the-above. I imagine he is stretched from Specialized and others so much, that also takes a toll. It's gotta be tough being so damn good and super popular to boot!

one4smoke 05-19-19 08:25 AM

I've always thought Sagan was the best rider in the field when it's too hilly for the pure sprinters, yet not hilly enough for all the climbers. But it seems since the TDF last year he has lost a step. Yeah, he still manages a top 5 most of the time if he's sniffing the lead with a few kilometers left, but used to he'd just outpower them for the win when near the front. Seems as if he just can't do that anymore.

It'll be interesting to see if he can regain that form again, or if time has truly passed him by.

Doge 05-20-19 03:45 PM

29 is not old for a GC guy, but for a sprinter, well, less than ideal. He still has one of the best noses for a break. His point jersey talent is still strong.

I expect much of his compensation comes from his personality more than winning. I like his cooking shows. At this age I think he might win more spending less time in the gym working the upper body and more time doing miles and getting lighter.
I don't think he will be doing the wins he used to. He is just to big - or too small (and old for a sprinter) and the race planners are onto him. Flat he likely won't win and hill he likely won't win.

diphthong 05-21-19 10:18 PM

^the next jalabert?!

MinnMan 06-17-19 09:27 PM

He looked pretty damned impressive today

one4smoke 06-18-19 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 20983916)
He looked pretty damned impressive today

Yep, looked like the Sagan of yesteryear. At least for yesterday.