Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What framesets are made completely in North America? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=102231)

simplyred 04-25-05 09:30 PM

What framesets are made completely in North America?

Just curious...
My first and only guess is Cannondale Alum Bikes...
What about Cervelo? Are their alum bikes made in Toronto?

Thanks
-Peter

Crashtest 04-25-05 09:33 PM

I'm pretty sure Marinoni builds their frames in Montreal.

Trogon 04-25-05 09:34 PM

Calfee, Serotta, Seven, Moots, Crumpton, frames by any one of a 100 custom builders.

velocipedio 04-25-05 09:36 PM

gurus are made in montreal... all marinonis except the cf and to ones are made in montreal... litespeeds and merlins are made in chattanooga... sevens and independent fabrications are made in boston... serotta in upstate new york... richard sachs in connecticut... mariposa and true north in ontario...

c'mon everyone, join in!

ajst2duk 04-25-05 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by simplyred
Just curious...
My first and only guess is Cannondale Alum Bikes...
What about Cervelo? Are their alum bikes made in Toronto?

Thanks
-Peter

Is this so you know which ones to avoid??

zonatandem 04-25-05 09:52 PM

Add: Co-Motion, Burley and Bike Friday . . . all made in Eugene, OR; ariZona carbon fiber singles and tandems, made in Peoria, AZ. Gilmour and Bohemian frames made in Tucson, AZ.
Litespeed Aluminums are made in China as is the new C'dale carbon fiber.

simplyred 04-25-05 09:53 PM

No not at all, like I said.. I'm just curious...

ed073 04-25-05 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mmmm.....Richard Sachs.

pdxtex 04-25-05 10:08 PM

the higher end trek aluminum/carbon frames are amercian made as are the lemonds...im not sure where the tube sets on the treks come from...seems most carbon fiber is produced by the taiwanese...

SteveE 04-25-05 10:26 PM

Steve Rex, Albert Eisentraut, Dave Kirk, Spectrum Cycles (Tom Kellogg), the list goes on...

hmai18 04-25-05 10:27 PM

I do believe Opus is manufactured somewhere in Quebec as well.

labratmatt 04-25-05 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ajst2duk

You are an assbag.

khuon 04-25-05 10:35 PM

http://www.neebu.net/~khuon/albums/2...e/PICT0018.jpg
http://www.neebu.net/~khuon/albums/2...e/PICT0019.jpg
http://www.neebu.net/~khuon/albums/2...e/PICT0024.jpg

pdxtex 04-25-05 11:08 PM

you looooove that bike......im just ribbing you...its nice....they wrap those tubes in maine also, correct?

AEsco48 04-25-05 11:16 PM

If i get a Litespeed ill be sure to take a trip up to the factory...im in Florida...but it will be worth it...

khuon 04-25-05 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by pdxtex
you looooove that bike......im just ribbing you...its nice....they wrap those tubes in maine also, correct?

Yep. From prepreg to finished frame is all done in Maine. Wow... that rhymed! The amusing part is that I believe the Toray prepregs they use originates from Toray Composites USA in Tacoma, WA. :)

Serpico 04-25-05 11:45 PM

yeah, I gotta give props to that aegis as well Khuon

local shop has a red aegis and it's hideous, the link to your aegis is a sweet looking bike (I even like the curved seat tube)

endform 04-26-05 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by khuon
Yep. From prepreg to finished frame is all done in Maine. Wow... that rhymed! The amusing part is that I believe the Toray prepregs they use originates from Toray Composites USA in Tacoma, WA. :)

Something made in Tacompton is about the last thing that I want on my bicycle (nah I'm just joshin ya, but seriously, Tacoma sucks... a lot, unless you love strip malls and crappy public transit). Sorry this OT, but I just gotta get my .02 in whenever that place comes up.

khuon 04-26-05 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by endform
Something made in Tacompton is about the last thing that I want on my bicycle (nah I'm just joshin ya

I'm sure you're not serious or else you'll need to avoid stepping onto Boeing planes. :D That's the major reason Toray USA exists in Tacoma. ;)

but seriously, Tacoma sucks... a lot, unless you love strip malls and crappy public transit). Sorry this OT, but I just gotta get my .02 in whenever that place comes up.

I don't think Tacoma is that bad in certain places. I have friends who live near oldtown and the north end there and it seems pretty nice... except for the occasional smell. Ahhh... the Aroma of Tacoma. But I agree, much of Tacoma is not where I'd want to live.

velocipedio 04-26-05 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by hmai18
I do believe Opus is manufactured somewhere in Quebec as well.

opus is a brand of outdoor gear canada, a quebec company, but the bikes are actually made in asia.

oryx and devinci are made in quebec.

endform 04-26-05 12:34 AM

Yeah, there are some nice places in Tacoma, I just like to talk a little trash every now and then. Also I don't particularly enjoy flying either.... ;)

suntreader 04-26-05 12:54 AM

BREW Bikes in Western North Carolina

http://brewracingframes.com

khuon 04-26-05 01:23 AM

Another few PNW connections. There's TiCycles and TST (aka Sandvik) as well as a slew of other boutique and smaller builders such as Softride, Rodriguez, Davidson and Erickson... all from the Seattle area. And Klein used to be in eastern WA before they got relocated. Additionally, while it's a little off-topic since it's a MTB, I'd like to also mention that although most of K2's frames come from elsewhere and are not completely made in North America, their long since discontinued Oz (aka Pro-Flex 4500C/5500C) thermoplastic carbon fibre frames, of which I'm a proud owner, were made entirely in their Vashon, WA factory. K2's bicycle division (formerly Offroad Cycles/Pro-Flex) used to be based in Rhode Island.

endform 04-26-05 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by khuon
Another few PNW connections. There's TiCycles and TST (aka Sandvik) as well as a slew of other boutique and smaller builders such as Softride, Rodriguez, Davidson and Erickson... all from the Seattle area. And Klein used to be in eastern WA before they got relocated. Additionally, while it's a little off-topic since it's a MTB, I'd like to also mention that although most of K2's frames come from elsewhere and are not completely made in North America, their long since discontinued Oz (aka Pro-Flex 4500C/5500C) thermoplastic carbon fibre frames, of which I'm a proud owner, were made entirely in their Vashon, WA factory. K2's bicycle division (formerly Offroad Cycles/Pro-Flex) used to be based in Rhode Island.

I can't even believe I forgot to mention K2. I'm FROM vashon! That's where I spent a good 13 years of my life. That's a big portion when you're just shy two decades. Their snowboards and whatnot are not made there anymore however. I have a few bones to pick with the description on their website of my Island though.

1) There are no large wineries that I know of, the biggest operation is still very small.
2) There are no more u-pick strawberry fields, the last of those died out some years ago.
3) "Peaceful Island" folk can also be replaced on occaision with "drunken angry hicks"
4) Please tell me where all these trails that criss cross the Island are, I'm rather curious, unless they mean trespassing over a zillion acres of private property....

khuon 04-26-05 01:47 AM

I have a few bones to pick with the description on their website of my Island though.

1) There are no large wineries that I know of, the biggest operation is still very small.

Yeah... I saw that winery but never stopped in.

2) There are no more u-pick strawberry fields, the last of those died out some years ago.

Wow! I didn't even think this was the right climate for strawberries but then again I'm no expert at that sort of stuff.

3) "Peaceful Island" folk can also be replaced on occaision with "drunken angry hicks"

Errr... yeah. I'll have to remember that the next time I get an urge to head over there for some riding. I still like the island though.

4) Please tell me where all these trails that criss cross the Island are, I'm rather curious, unless they mean trespassing over a zillion acres of private property....

I know K2 has a nice set of private trails they also use as testing grounds.