Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Bosch Active Line (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1202090)

speyfitter 05-20-20 03:29 PM

Bosch Active Line

Wife is looking at getting an ebike. Leaning towards a Bosch mid drive system on a trek verve+ 2 (active line - 40 nm max torque) or 3 (active line plus - 50 nm torque). My wife is around 140 pounds, and aspires to improve her fitness but still struggles a bit on more moderate hills. Just wondering for this or in a similar situation if you found the active line sufficient or is the extra cost of the plus worth it? I know a test ride is in order as well...

MarcusT 05-21-20 10:55 PM

If riding on paved roads/gravel with moderate uphills, 40 nm should be enough. Now, if you think you might do some off roading with more challenging climbs, you might want to step up.

BTW, I would not say anything to wife wife about listing her weight on a forum ;)

2old 05-22-20 08:13 AM

IMO, either should be adequate with a mid-drive. Initially it might be necessary to lower the gearing with the lower power. I've found that Trek's sales representatives (available on their website) provide excellent technical support.

Bluesfrog 05-22-20 04:28 PM

I have the Verve + 2 on the advice of my bike shop. I am going to buy parts and assemble a hot rod later. But this bike took me to work a few times, for groceries and supplies, and gets me farther from home. It takes me fishing now and then as well. I think the Verve is quite worth it. But do take the test drive. Be Well, Bluesfrog.

alloo 05-23-20 05:33 AM

I would also look at Yamaha Cross Core. www.Yamahabicycles.com Good luck!

veganbikes 05-23-20 03:49 PM

I have found the base level active line to be pretty anemic and unless it is going on a fairly light bike which is usually not the case, it isn't that spectacular. I would have her ride a bunch of different bikes with different levels of motor (and maybe another brand like Brose) and find one that works best for her.

Bluesfrog 05-24-20 09:49 AM

I was looking for assist not spectacular!. If that is what I want I will go for 72V CYC mid drive or a Livewire! Be Well, Bluesfrog.

pakeboi 05-27-20 01:39 AM

There are too many variables . She needs to test ride the bikes on the hills she will be riding .
I found the Verve 2+ anemic didn't have a chance to test ride the 3 yet .

alloo 05-27-20 06:51 AM

You might consider a 500W hub driver. She's light enough so it will help her. Not sure what a hill is to you? If she's riding the majority on flats a hub drive will be good. Not sure what city that you live in so it's hard to give advice.

speedy25 06-02-20 01:27 PM

Active line is adequate and most of all inexpensive...for Bosch!

Brose and Yamaha mid-drives are better but I dont know if you need a step through bike or not.

-SP