Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Surly LHT question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1098535)

MAK 02-21-17 11:20 PM

Surly LHT question

I'm shopping for a new ride and will be replacing and selling my 520 because of the tire width with fenders limitation. Admittedly, I tend to over research and paralysis by analysis is a problem I'm aware of and work to control.

I'll be looking at a few bikes and certainly can't ignore the LHT. I've looked on the Surly site and Googled to get information, but I can't find the weight of the built 700c or 26" LHT anywhere.

If you have one and know it's weight could you please share.

Yes, I know it's heavy and yes, I know it's not particularly speedy and that it's weight is offset buy its durability, strength and dependability. I just want to have as much information as possible for comparison. A pound or three won't sway me, but if there's a huge discrepancy it would be good to know.

BTW, I will certainly test ride all bikes I'm considering. I can't imagine buying a bike without testing for fit and other variables.

Thank you.

gif4445 02-21-17 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MAK (Post 19394472)
I'm shopping for a new ride and will be replacing and selling my 520 because of the tire width with fenders limitation. Admittedly, I tend to over research and paralysis by analysis is a problem I'm aware of and work to control.

I'll be looking at a few bikes and certainly can't ignore the LHT. I've looked on the Surly site and Googled to get information, but I can't find the weight of the built 700c or 26" LHT anywhere.

If you have one and know it's weight could you please share.

Yes, I know it's heavy and yes, I know it's not particularly speedy and that it's weight is offset buy its durability, strength and dependability. I just want to have as much information as possible for comparison. A pound or three won't sway me, but if there's a huge discrepancy it would be good to know.

BTW, I will certainly test ride all bikes I'm considering. I can't imagine buying a bike without testing for fit and other variables.

Thank you.

The weight of my 56 cm LHT with 700 tires is 32 lbs. That includes fenders and rear rack.

TrikeFan 02-22-17 05:05 AM

I wish my Surly only weighed 32 pounds.Without pedals,38Lbs.

BigAura 02-22-17 08:00 AM

8 pounds ==> my Surly LHT 54cm-26" ==> S&S coupled frame & fork

The rest is all about how I build it up for a tour. For me that's been 30 to 34 pounds for a total touring machine.

http://ziligy.com/photos/posts/FreshBuiltLHTD.jpg
Here its 34 pounds.

gauvins 02-22-17 08:27 AM

A 58cm 26" frame weighs 5.15 pounds, while the fork weighs 2.25 pounds, according to Surly.

You may also find interesting bits here.

MAK 02-22-17 09:22 AM

Thank you to all who answered regarding the built bike. It's interesting that Surly provides weights for frames and forks but doesn't give built bike weights. Even though riders will add racks and do other customizing, it would be a nice starting point. I'll average the range and proceed.

veganbikes 02-22-17 10:01 AM

My old 26" DT was 34lbs with front and rear tubus racks, 3 PDW Bird Cages and a smattering of upgraded components. My new bike (Co-Motion Cascadia) is about 29lbs without a front rack and with some of the parts from the DT and some stepped up parts.

Doug64 02-22-17 10:13 PM

My LHT built from the frame up weighs 31 lb. with Tubus front and rear racks, fenders, 3 bottle cages, interrupter brake levers, and Ortlieb bar bag mount. It is a 58 cm frame with 700c wheels.

The weight of our daughters' 26" LHTs will not help, unless you ride a 44 or 50 cm frame.

Squeezebox 02-23-17 05:18 AM

Just for comparison. My Trek 920 is 28lb. with racks and fenders. I know that was not the specific question.

mstateglfr 02-23-17 07:12 AM

Just for comparison, my 65cm BlackMtnCycles steel gravel bike is 25# without racks and fenders. I know that was not the specific question, but it seems we are just listing weights of various bikes so here ya go.

ETA- please know I wasnt trying to be helpful with this response and mockingly posted it.

Timequake 02-23-17 10:51 AM

Bike weight changes so much based on accessories, it's almost pointless to quote a "built" weight. The weight of my 54cm 26" LHT could be very different from another's because of rack choice, tire size, panniers, even fender style. Also if you're going to be touring, the pound or two difference between bike brands will be completely offset by what you pack. The LHT is a fantastic bike with great stock gearing for climbing hills with added pack-weight and for moving relatively quickly on flats. If my LHT is too heavy, I pack less stuff and skip a cheeseburger dinner.

fietsbob 02-23-17 10:57 AM

Last Summer just the bikes left at the shop to be packed up and shipped back east

after a transcontinental ride, Surly was quite Popular, Salsa an Co Motion , other Brands, people liked.

This leaves out all the north to south Ppacific coast tours that just passed thru.... hundreds every summer.

[Oh, this is just another weight-centered thread..:innocent:

Vintage_Cyclist 02-23-17 02:12 PM

My 2014 LHT, 58cm, was 28lbs, with the stock build and nothing else put on it yet.

Brett A 02-25-17 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2016 Disc Trucker (built on a red 2015 frame) 35 pounds as pictured, weighed with a hanging digital luggage scale.

26 inch wheels, 52cm frame. Plus Brooks B17 saddle, fenders, Tubus racks, 1.75 inch Conti tires, puncture proof tire liners, seat bag w/spare tube and tools, pump, Ortlieb handlebar bag mount, headlight, three bottle cages, plus a fourth mounted to the bars. And, of course, pedals.

One thing that may have shaved a pound or-so are the cranks I put on it for lower gearing which just happened to be carbon fiber.

And you're right about it not being light or fast. It's not the point. It's slow and comfortable. It doesn't care how many watts your legs put into it, it says "nope, we're only going to go this fast". So you might as well lean back off the effort and enjoy the scenery. Also, it doesn't ride much different laden or unladen. It always rides like it's laden, so it might as well be. It really is a one-purpose bike.

geoffs 02-25-17 09:30 PM

my wifes 50cm LHT with 26" wheels weighs nearly 14kg which she was using as a commuter
I've nearly finished building a Habanero Ti commuter for her which will weigh just under 8kg using 1x11 Sram XO1
Frame is custom made for her size
LHT make great boat anchors

MAK 04-03-17 11:31 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I realized today that I hadn't asked Surly directly so I wrote them this morning.

I asked for the weights of a 56cm LHT and Disc Trucker “Complete Bike Parts Kit”. This is the spec'ed out bike as listed on their website. So, no pedals, racks, fender, bottle holders, etc. They responded:

LHT 56cm approximately 26lbs 11oz
Disc Trucker 56cm ~3oz lighter, so a negligible difference.

BigAura 04-04-17 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by MAK (Post 19487802)
I asked for the weights of a 56cm LHT and Disc Trucker “Complete Bike Parts Kit”. This is the spec'ed out bike as listed on their website. So, no pedals, racks, fender, bottle holders, etc. They responded:

No Brooks saddle or fat Schwalbe touring tires either. Overbuilt sturdiness & comfort weighs a good bit :)

mstateglfr 04-04-17 09:17 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I realized today that I hadn't asked Surly directly so I wrote them this morning.

Interesting because disc brake wheels are heavier than rim brake wheels.

lhendrick 04-04-17 12:19 PM

36-38 pounds. I named it "Elephant's Backstroke"

Boondocksaints 04-04-17 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by gif4445 (Post 19394487)
The weight of my 56 cm LHT with 700 tires is 32 lbs. That includes fenders and rear rack.

May I ask how tall you are?

gif4445 04-04-17 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Boondocksaints (Post 19488983)
May I ask how tall you are?

I was closer to 5'10" when I bought the LHT. At that time I rode both a 54 and a 56. They bike shop guy told me I could go either way, so I went with the 56 and the 700 wheels. I'm shrinking (height wise anyway, probably closer to 5'9" now) as I approach 60 yo, so now I might get a 54. The LHT and maybe most/all Surlys as far as I know, are a little bigger as you compare them to another make.

seeker333 04-04-17 01:35 PM

Thank you...

It is impossible for a LHT and DT of the same frame size with the same parts, except for brakesets and hubs (which must be different) to weigh the same, or even within 3 oz. A DT is heavier than a nearly identical LHT build specifically due to differences in the fork, rear dropouts, cable guides, brake cable and housing (longer runs), hubs, and especially the brake calipers. Disc brakes+DT are approximately a 2 lb penalty over a LHT. I've owned both plus a good balance, and I built and weighed the bikes. LHTs with fenders and racks are usually over 30 lbs - DTs the same size are 32+.

You have to be careful when comparing touring bike weights since simply changing a saddle (Brooks) or tires (Schwalbe Marathon) can add 0.3-2 lbs to the bike's weight.

I just weighed my DT for this post - 31.8 lbs, with 1.7 lbs of lights and batteries added from last weighing:

http://www.bikeforums.net/18811521-post11.html

Boondocksaints 04-04-17 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by gif4445 (Post 19489043)
I was closer to 5'10" when I bought the LHT. At that time I rode both a 54 and a 56. They bike shop guy told me I could go either way, so I went with the 56 and the 700 wheels. I'm shrinking (height wise anyway, probably closer to 5'9" now) as I approach 60 yo, so now I might get a 54. The LHT and maybe most/all Surlys as far as I know, are a little bigger as you compare them to another make.

Thanks! I want to get a Surly frame and was just wondering about frames.

jmeb 04-04-17 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boondocksaints (Post 19489284)
Thanks! I want to get a Surly frame and was just wondering about frames.

Surly has good geometry charts on their website. Going by them and measurements off a current bike that fits well is your best bet -- vs just assuming you should size down.

Some of their bikes also vary their proportions by size. For instance, in the larger sizes of a cross check top tubes are equal or shorter than the seat tube. In smaller sizes, the inverse is true.

Boondocksaints 04-04-17 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jmeb (Post 19489412)
Surly has good geometry charts on their website. Going by them and measurements off a current bike that fits well is your best bet -- vs just assuming you should size down.

Some of their bikes also vary their proportions by size. For instance, in the larger sizes of a cross check top tubes are equal or shorter than the seat tube. In smaller sizes, the inverse is true.

Thanks! Will check it out. I was considering a Surly LHT or Troll to start building a bike.