Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Trashing dummy lever (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=485993)

cincinnatikid01 11-13-08 01:17 AM

Trashing dummy lever

Im riding road drops with two levers/hoods with only one lever functioning. Im thinking about removing the dummy lever.
Anyone have any pics of their bars with this setup? Or any thoughts about removing a dummy lever?

bionnaki 11-13-08 01:32 AM

sounds uncomfortable.

cincinnatikid01 11-13-08 01:36 AM

the hood will stay but without the actual lever. i dont think i'll be compromising comfort because of it

bionnaki 11-13-08 01:38 AM

sorry. misread your post.

I see no problem removing the lever.

ianjk 11-13-08 02:04 AM

I like leaving the lever, I run front on right side like my motorcycle. I also like the feeling that if someone steals my bike, they will probably try getting away down the hill (live on a giant hill) and between the fixed wheel and dummy left lever, they will be in for the ride of their life ;)

extremenergy3 11-13-08 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by ianjk (Post 7842331)
I like leaving the lever, I run front on right side like my motorcycle. I also like the feeling that if someone steals my bike, they will probably try getting away down the hill (live on a giant hill) and between the fixed wheel and dummy left lever, they will be in for the ride of their life ;)

LOL to the thieves!

Soil_Sampler 11-13-08 02:21 AM

real dummy lever

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/images/...6C923CE0EA.jpg

cincinnatikid01 11-13-08 03:02 AM

I see that lever on the forum a lot but never seen it on a bike. and what is the point of having a "real" dummy lever? oxymoron?

matt wisconsin 11-13-08 03:08 AM

Some people do creative things with theirs, like having it activate a bell.

fanta510 11-13-08 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by cincinnatikid01 (Post 7842403)
I see that lever on the forum a lot but never seen it on a bike. and what is the point of having a "real" dummy lever? oxymoron?

Tandems.

Thetank 11-13-08 06:35 AM

I would leave it on. Most people won't even know you don't have a rear brake and will think better of you for having one of them "Trendy" bikes with actual brakes. You can also make that lever a dummy by locking it up so it doesn't move anymore if that's what you're looking for.

middy 11-13-08 08:58 AM

Get a brake cable doubler and have both levers work your front brake.

NotSoProjectPat 11-13-08 09:23 AM

rig the extra lever to a little helicopter rotor above your head so if you crank it real fast going downhill you can fly

jhaber 11-13-08 10:13 AM

Those dummy levers are really expensive the last time I checked. It was way cheaper just to buy fully functioning levers which makes no sense to me.

huerro 11-13-08 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by cincinnatikid01 (Post 7842273)
Im riding road drops with two levers/hoods with only one lever functioning. Im thinking about removing the dummy lever.
Anyone have any pics of their bars with this setup? Or any thoughts about removing a dummy lever?

Why?

I think it would look silly and the weight savings would be negligible.

As for alternative uses, I say rig it up for either smoke screen or oil slick.

ZiP0082 11-13-08 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by notsoprojectpat (Post 7843282)
rig the extra lever to a little helicopter rotor above your head so if you crank it real fast going downhill you can fly

+1

cincinnatikid01 11-13-08 01:25 PM

I find it ironic the day after i post this is the day i get hit by a taxi cab and surprisingly had my lever snapped off. I was really hoping to rig it for oil slick.
I might be able to put it back on but the bolt snapped off. I'll see if a screw will work

queerpunk 11-13-08 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by cincinnatikid01 (Post 7844807)
I find it ironic the day after i post this is the day i get hit by a taxi cab and surprisingly had my lever snapped off. I was really hoping to rig it for oil slick.
I might be able to put it back on but the bolt snapped off. I'll see if a screw will work

it knew you had plans for it, and it made a bitter bid for freedom.