Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dog chase with a twist (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185544)

55murray 10-11-19 01:33 PM

Dog chase with a twist

So this starts off typically, rural road on a nice straightaway no hills or intersections. Two large black German Shepherds roll out of the yard at full speed and it is on. I was not too worried these two took off after me a couple months back and gave pursuit for nearly a half mile, but like I said conditions were ideal for outrunning them.

But this time there was a motorist behind them. He/she speeds up past the dogs, hits the brakes while turning halfway toward the ditch and cuts them off. They stop cold chase is over. It was awesome. I gave a big wave and figured I'll chat with them when they catch up, but they pulled into a property about 1/4 mile up.

indyfabz 10-11-19 01:36 PM

While crossing the country I had a Doberman come after me. No way was I going to outrun him on a loaded touring bike. There was an oncoming semi, so I veered across the road to the opposite shoulder. Wasn't happy about it, but I fully expected to hear yelping and then silence. Seems pooch was smarter than that and everyone "walked" away o.k.

Flip Flop Rider 10-11-19 06:55 PM

awesome timing, sounds like Mannix. Glad they acted

Bassmanbob 10-12-19 03:08 AM

While I’d hate to have to use it, I’ve thought about carrying mace with me on my slower commutes. What’s the consensus on that?

livedarklions 10-12-19 03:31 AM

"Front paws on your heads you SOBs!"

rubiksoval 10-12-19 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob (Post 21160569)
While I’d hate to have to use it, I’ve thought about carrying mace with me on my slower commutes. What’s the consensus on that?

Do it.

I bought a can and emptied it into a dog's face to no avail. Replaced it with an expandable baton.

KraneXL 10-12-19 08:03 AM

Hmm, lets see:

A) Let the dog bite you.
B) Do whatever is necessary to prevent from getting bitten.

I think I'll choose B.

Lemond1985 10-12-19 08:18 AM

C. Let the other dogs he's with bite and tear at you, too.

One dog, of pretty much any size, I like to think I could take on and defeat with as little as a bicycle pump. But several of them at the same time ... no way.

elcraft 10-12-19 08:21 AM

BITD, some of us relied on our frame pump as an "expandable baton". Of course, using a Silca Impero was out of the question. Another reason to have a Zefal over the expensive and exotic plastic Italians.......

BlazingPedals 10-12-19 12:41 PM

A month or two ago I was on a club ride with my lowracer, and a dog came out at us. Being the lowest, he fixated on me and was not giving up. The others were worried that I was wandering out into the middle of the road with a car coming at us, but my plan was to lead him into the oncoming lane, with me in the shoulder, and let the car take care of him.

Too bad he gave up the chase before the car got the chance.

Darth Lefty 10-12-19 04:10 PM

A flail or a Morningstar can be more effective

Darth Lefty 10-12-19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 21161021)
A month or two ago I was on a club ride with my lowracer, and a dog came out at us. Being the lowest, he fixated on me and was not giving up. The others were worried that I was wandering out into the middle of the road with a car coming at us, but my plan was to lead him into the oncoming lane, with me in the shoulder, and let the car take care of him.

Too bad he gave up the chase before the car got the chance.

If I were the driver witnessing this, I’d aim for you not the dog

Flip Flop Rider 10-13-19 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 21161186)
If I were the driver witnessing this, I’d aim for you not the dog

a little harsh but I get your message

Clyde1820 10-13-19 10:35 AM

Makes a lot of sense.

I'm more a fan of a solid crack across the snout with a suitable device, but a decent pepper spray could work.

Basic logic of coping with bullies. They are going to continue attempting it, so long as there aren't painful (even dire) ramifications for doing so. Dogs are pretty smart at getting the picture, when the "picture" for a feel-good is grim that way.

JMO

Lemond1985 10-13-19 11:29 AM

Dogs not only have selective hearing, they also have selective intelligence. When something interests them, or immediately benefits them in some way, they can be pretty darn smart about figuring things out. Like how to get food, get out of the yard, etc.

KraneXL 10-13-19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 (Post 21161887)
Makes a lot of sense.

I'm more a fan of a solid crack across the snout with a suitable device, but a decent pepper spray could work.

Basic logic of coping with bullies. They are going to continue attempting it, so long as there aren't painful (even dire) ramifications for doing so. Dogs are pretty smart at getting the picture, when the "picture" for a feel-good is grim that way.

JMO

Your "device" will only encourage them. Use the spray, its a permanent solution since they have no defense against it.

Lab4Us 10-13-19 05:40 PM

Could always carry a few treats. Dog likely way more interested in food, especially if it’s owner doesn’t care enough about it to train it or supervise it properly.

KraneXL 10-13-19 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lab4Us (Post 21162379)
Could always carry a few treats. Dog likely way more interested in food, especially if it’s owner doesn’t care enough about it to train it or supervise it properly.

He'll either become your best friend or realize that chasing you is a good way to get his daily meal. Hopefully you won't one day forget to pack his treats. Don't start anything you can't finish.

tagaproject6 10-13-19 06:58 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6e67f39ced.png
These dog threads never end well :lol:

Clyde1820 10-13-19 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 21161965)
Your "device" will only encourage them. Use the spray, its a permanent solution since they have no defense against it.

A hard smack on the snout/head of a mad dog is something I've yet to see fail.

True, some "bully" dogs take it as a blood sport and they'll do everything they can to succeed i their "bullying." Like most bullies, though, when smacked down they begin to realize it's not all roses. Just have to connect. A busted jaw, poked eye, smacked temple, torn up nose/lips ... whatever it takes ... makes a big, bad, bully dog re-think.

As for permanence of solutions, well, that's a matter of opinion. One can carry a can of something. One can equally easily carry a baton, cane or stick. A dog that gets hit with a cloud of spray will generally remember it. So will a dog that's found its snout damaged by a wallop by a cane/baton.

IMO, it makes sense to carry both. In the "two is one, one is none" sense. You never know what's going to be needed, or what'll work in a given situation.

Ross520 10-14-19 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 (Post 21162676)

True, some "bully" dogs take it as a blood sport and they'll do everything they can to succeed i their "bullying." Like most bullies, though, when smacked down they begin to realize it's not all roses. Just have to connect. A busted jaw, poked eye, smacked temple, torn up nose/lips ... whatever it takes ... makes a big, bad, bully dog re-think.

As for permanence of solutions, well, that's a matter of opinion. One can carry a can of something. One can equally easily carry a baton, cane or stick. A dog that gets hit with a cloud of spray will generally remember it. So will a dog that's found its snout damaged by a wallop by a cane/baton.

IMO, it makes sense to carry both. In the "two is one, one is none" sense. You never know what's going to be needed, or what'll work in a given situation.

What is a "bully" dog?

Witterings 10-14-19 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 (Post 21162676)

I would imagine anyone that treats a dog like this and openly promotes giving them "A busted jaw, poked eye, smacked temple, torn up nose/lips" is probably a bully themselves.

Guess a dog just smells the fear from someone like that a mile away and is probably why they might give chase.

oldgeezerjeff 10-14-19 08:04 AM

With a few exceptions...there really is no such thing as a bad dog...just bad dog owners. Unfortunately some people think their dog is special and shouldn't be subject to the same rules as "other dogs". I see it all the time in campgrounds (for that matter any public space), where dogs are allowed to defecate anywhere and owners never cleanup, or the dog is allowed to bark and howl all the time. I have been in the city park and watched dog owners let their dogs chase the ducks and geese around as though that is good sport. Yet if you try to have a conversation with these people about their dog and the rules, you are simply met with anger. After all, their little "fur baby" is special.
I have never seen (or heard) of any dog owner being penalized for the bad behavior of their dog...unless it mauls or kills someone, or kills someone else's pet. Maybe some stricter enforcement and fines for the owners might curtail some of the bad behavior of their pets. But that is just a pipe dream. So, unfortunately, when being attacked by a random dog, with no owner in sight, one is left with little defense except to do whatever is necessary, with whatever tools are at hand, to preserve one's own safety.

Litespud 10-14-19 08:19 AM

"there really is no such thing as a bad dog...just bad dog owners"
Sure, but is trying to shake that fundamentally good, but misunderstood hound off your back wheel the best time to be pondering this? Faced with some road rash or bite wounds (at best) or severe injury (at worst), I really don't care how much pain I inflict on some random dog, if it means that I stay upright and it buggers off.

Litespud 10-14-19 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Witterings (Post 21162874)
I would imagine anyone that treats a dog like this and openly promotes giving them "A busted jaw, poked eye, smacked temple, torn up nose/lips" is probably a bully themselves.

Guess a dog just smells the fear from someone like that a mile away and is probably why they might give chase.

Given that half the time the dog is already giving chase before I have even registered it's presence, hard to know how it's smelling the fear I'm not yet feeling. They can see into the future, I guess. I treat dogs fine, but I have no compunction about hurting a dog that's out to hurt me, if that's what it takes to make it desist.