Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Here we go - doping investigation involving Quintana (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1213556)

MinnMan 09-21-20 07:04 PM

Here we go - doping investigation involving Quintana

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...-france-469420

GrainBrain 09-21-20 07:13 PM

Honestly I bet it's just steroids for his nettle rash.

Marcus_Ti 09-21-20 07:21 PM

If they were doping....given their results, they did a pretty terrible job.

Flip Flop Rider 09-21-20 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 21706615)

was thinking the same thing

diphthong 09-21-20 10:53 PM

was thinking barguil or quintana might nab a stage or the kom jersey but don't remember the team being a factor in any facet of the tour. at all.

Caretaker 09-22-20 04:59 AM

Two things animate people on here, doping and Valverde doing something amazing on a bike.

ZHVelo 09-22-20 05:49 AM

Hah, if they are doping what must everyone else be on?

As said above, could be related to the crash.

Flip Flop Rider 09-22-20 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Caretaker (Post 21707017)
Two things animate people on here, doping and Valverde doing something amazing on a bike.

and Lance!

Marcus_Ti 09-22-20 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ZHVelo (Post 21707039)

Prisoner 1: What are you in for?
Prisoner 2: Bank robbing. What about you?
Prisoner 1: I was treating the hives without an Rx.

I'm not sure which is worse. Sucking at doping...or Having a doctor so inept they don't get a Rx.

robertorolfo 09-22-20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 21706615)

First of all, we all know that "doping" can only help so much. If a guy does have what it takes, it's not going to make him a world beater. We know Quintana is no slouch, but you guys need to consider the bigger picture as well.

Maybe he felt like he didn't have it anymore, and one last season simply near the top is enough to ensure him another year of a good salary before he heads off to a future of 50 something years without income. I think that Americans often forget (or just don't know) what the economies of other countries look like...

nomadmax 09-22-20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider (Post 21707420)
and Lance!

He said that when he said "doping" :roflmao2:

vane171 09-22-20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ZHVelo (Post 21707039)

Sometimes the doping can have unexpected consequence, I doubt it is surefire thing to always make you into a rocket. That said, I am of neutral opinion regarding him. Lets say you're right, the crash might be responsible for it, we've seen others not performing well after crashes.

We might be seeing a long term results of doping, not just that something you took only recently failed to do its trick in coming days.

It is like our economic and political pundits still hold the belief that pouring money into economy will result in vigorous performance - while economy is not listening to them. Japanese economy could be talking heaps regarding this if it could.

79pmooney 09-22-20 03:46 PM

There's another possible scenario. Quintana has enemies in his home country. He has been vocal supporting women's rights and exposing the corruption within the national cycling federation's ranks? Is it possible someone with an ax to grind made a call to a French authority with damning information?

Perhaps more has been discovered by the investigators than I have read, but 100 ml of saline solution and some needles in a doctor's stash sounds like stuff I'd want my doctor to have! Local painkillers after a crash like his if I have to get up and race the Tour every day.

I'm keeping an open mind but it isn't a given to me that he or the team has done anything wrong from what I've read so far. I certainly did not see any red flags in their racing.

hrdknox1 09-22-20 03:48 PM

I suspected that he was doping when he bested the records of Armstrong and Pantani up Mont Ventoux in the Tour de la Provence.

ZHVelo 09-23-20 12:43 AM

Well his statement was quite clear, they found things they didn't know so couldn't immediately close the investigation.

canklecat 09-23-20 12:51 AM

Have any reports specified what was found, other than saline and needles? The news reports I've read described it as "health supplements," as if they're backtracking a bit or hedging.

I'd expect team medical support to have IV gear for saline and Ringer's lactate for dehydration, nothing controversial about that.

Didn't one of the teams admit to using ketone supplements this year? It's not restricted, AFAIK, and opinions differ about whether it helps. Phil Gaimon and others have experimented with the stuff but they aren't grinding it out for three weeks so it may not really help much if at all for any single day event.

asgelle 09-23-20 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21708769)
I'd expect team medical support to have IV gear for saline and Ringer's lactate for dehydration, nothing controversial about that.

All IVs are banned regardless of their content. So yes, having IV gear when supporting a Tour team is controversial to say the least.

Marcus_Ti 09-23-20 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by asgelle (Post 21709060)
All IVs are banned regardless of their content. So yes, having IV gear when supporting a Tour team is controversial to say the least.

Strange part being that the ASO were not involved in the raid or seemingly the aftermath.

ZHVelo 09-23-20 03:01 PM

Interesting, pretty sure in Handball when they have European or World Champs they use IVs overnight because the game schedule is so intense. Just goes to show how much more seriously cycling actually takes doping.

canklecat 09-23-20 04:52 PM

Ah, I didn't know that. I assumed team doctors had the option to use IVs for normal saline or Ringer's, since those are common among many pro sports for emergency rehydration.

aclinjury 09-23-20 05:48 PM

French police got played. Looking more like fools each day goes on without finding any dope

MinnMan 09-23-20 10:03 PM

Don't know what will come of it, but the noise is not done.

https://www.velonews.com/events/tour...our-de-france/

Caretaker 09-24-20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 21710715)
Don't know what will come of it, but the noise is not done.

https://www.velonews.com/events/tour...our-de-france/

So far it's just noise and I wouldn't dismiss all of the concerns but I think bike doping is very unlikely at this level. Bike doping is something that's black or white and relatively easy to detect that any team would be risking too much to try it.

MinnMan 09-24-20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Caretaker (Post 21710843)
So far it's just noise and I wouldn't dismiss all of the concerns but I think bike doping is very unlikely at this level. Bike doping is something that's black or white and relatively easy to detect that any team would be risking too much to try it.

You have a point. That's what's kept pro cycling so clean all these years.

Caretaker 09-24-20 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 21710849)
You have a point. That's what's kept pro cycling so clean all these years.

Take a sport that's huge in my country Ireland, Rugby (Union), it's riddled with PEDs but no one gives a ****.
Cycling is doping click bait.