Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Road cyclists (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175254)

Hr1 06-10-19 04:57 AM

Road cyclists

Has anyone else noticed how riding a road bike is competely different than riding a mtb or cruiser? The lack of a cushiony suspension or shock absorbing heavy, wide, low pressure tires + a heavier, thicker seat end up isolating the rider from really being one with the s road. Riding a SS really dramatizes this fact. A fixed is the limit, but I cheat a little riding a freewheel.

I've always thought it'd be interesting to see a cop in a mtb chase a cyclist on a road bike. I'd put my money on the road bike.

indyfabz 06-10-19 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hr1 (Post 20971005)
The lack of a cushiony suspension or shock absorbing heavy, wide, low pressure tires + a heavier, thicker seat end up isolating the rider from really being one with the s road.

Wut

flyjimmy 06-10-19 05:25 AM

I never never noticed.

shelbyfv 06-10-19 05:34 AM

Welcome to BF:twitchy:

hillyman 06-10-19 05:52 AM

Takes a certain kind of person to stick with riding a bike. That's the important thing. To become One with a certain type of bike is magic. But you may be amazed how over time that magic may change over to many types of bikes.

Paul Barnard 06-10-19 05:55 AM

Has anyone else noticed how riding a road bike is competely different than riding a mtb or cruiser?

Nope. One would think a bicycle is a bicycle is a bicycle. Are you trying to advise us that a bike with big tires and a suspension rides differently from a bike with no suspension and skinny tires? I say poppycock, prove it.

Skipjacks 06-10-19 06:50 AM

No idea what this is about. Riding my mountain bike is exactly the same as my racing road bike. And both of those feel just like my BMX I rode as a kid.

In fact...I think the BMX might have been faster.

Not as fast as my tricycle when I was a wee lad, mind you....but I don't have the heart for those blistering speeds anymore.

Shimagnolo 06-10-19 07:00 AM

I've always thought it'd be interesting to see a cop in a mtb chase a cyclist on a road bike. I'd put my money on the road bike.

I'd put my money on the one who was more physically fit.:p

JohnDThompson 06-10-19 07:10 AM

The last time I became One With the Road, I ended up in the emergency room.

nomadmax 06-10-19 07:26 AM

I used to be a bike cop an I've chased down a few people on road bikes, albeit most were not cyclists.

mstateglfr 06-10-19 07:50 AM

Has anyone else noticed how riding a road bike is competely different than riding a mtb or cruiser?

Yes- it is completely different for me. I ride my road bikes fast and in relatively straight lines, so the bike's geometry is set to enhance that. I ride my mountain bike slower and in very twisty lines over a lot of bumps, so the bike's geometry is set to enhance that.

The lack of a cushiony suspension or shock absorbing heavy, wide, low pressure tires + a heavier, thicker seat end up isolating the rider from really being one with the s road.

You lost me. A lack of suspension combined with heavy wide tires and a thick saddle end up isolating the rider from being one with the road? If you are describing a road bike(since it doesnt have suspension), then it doesnt have heavy wide tires or a thick saddle. If you are describing a mountain bike, then it does have suspension.
Either way, what you described typically doesnt exist.

Riding a SS really dramatizes this fact. A fixed is the limit, but I cheat a little riding a freewheel.

Why would single speed dramatize whatever it is you tried to describe? Since Im lost as to what you tried to describe, i definitely cant understand why single speed would dramatize it.

What you find interesting isnt what I find interesting.
A buddy of mine can ride his full suspension mountain bike as fast as I can ride my road bikes. Its more effort for him, but its still doable for tens of miles and is impressive.
Odd thing to find interesting.

Welcome to BF. Should be fun to read your threads if this is what you start with. I thought about just inserting the Billy Madison meme about you being awarded no points, but figured I would take a few minutes to respond since im bored at work right now. You are welcome.

indyfabz 06-10-19 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20971188)
You lost me. A lack of suspension combined with heavy wide tires and a thick saddle end up isolating the rider from being one with the road? If you are describing a road bike(since it doesnt have suspension), then it doesnt have heavy wide tires or a thick saddle. If you are describing a mountain bike, then it does have suspension.
Either way, what you described typically doesnt exist.

So it's not just me. :thumb:

TimothyH 06-10-19 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 20971149)
I used to be a bike cop an I've chased down a few people on road bikes, albeit most were not cyclists.

I saw an NYC officer on foot chase down a guy on a bike riding on the sidewalk.

Right in front of Grand Central Terminal too.

Peds were yelling, "Go get 'em Johnny!", clapping and other such encouragement.

-Tim-

2manybikes 06-10-19 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20971221)
I saw an NYC officer on foot chase down a guy on a bike riding on the sidewalk.

Peds were yelling, "Go get 'em Johnny!", clapping and other such encouragement.

-Tim-

Did he catch him?

indyfabz 06-10-19 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20971221)

Points for calling it by its proper name.

Have you ever experienced the whispering arch there? It's neat.

bikecrate 06-10-19 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 20971149)

If you got the cop bike equivalent to dash cam video, I'd love to see it. :)

nomadmax 06-10-19 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by bikecrate (Post 20971281)
If you got the cop bike equivalent to dash cam video, I'd love to see it. :)

There is the distinct possibility that I was a bike cop before you were born. There was no such thing in 1986-1997.

AlmostTrick 06-10-19 09:01 AM

Yes, MTB's can be fast depending on the rider. But you'll need a road bike to outrun the cops.

indyfabz 06-10-19 09:17 AM

I crossed the country with a small group of people. The overall strongest rider in the group was an ex-CHiP who was riding a full suspension MTB (back problems from riding a motorcycle for 30 years) towing a B.O.B. trailer with a lot of weight.

GlennR 06-10-19 09:17 AM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/26tna...Uly/source.gif

Phil_gretz 06-10-19 10:00 AM

I don't know about that. But I saw a video of a police chase of a Dodge Challenger Hellcat on a freeway (I-10 outside of Houston?), where the perp was driving >135 mph and outran the police helicopter.

Moral of the story: Have the method of escape that's better than that of your pursuers.

Phil_gretz 06-10-19 10:01 AM

And be prepared to drope the hamer.

Maelochs 06-10-19 11:23 AM

Any good cyclist (o driver, motorcyclist, tennis player, picjka s sport or activity) reaches a state where s/he simply becomes the activity, where there are no conscious decisions to move levers or swiing a racket or take a step, where the awareness is in the moment and the actions occur as immediate acts of will as the athlete moves through space and time and changing physical environments.

Watch a downhill MTB rider coming through roots, trees, and rock gardens, while making it look like a person walking down a smooth, flat corridor ..... except that the rider is negotiating a 45-degree drop littered with boulders and roots , weaving between obstacles constantly at 50 mph, in a situation where being off-line anywhere means eating a tree or a rock eventually, where perfect response is needed every millisecond through a two-minute run ....

Then come back and explain what 'being one" with something means.

Shimagnolo 06-10-19 12:13 PM

Mountain biker wins road race on his hardtail

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/mount...-his-hardtail/

indyfabz 06-10-19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 20971639)
Mountain biker wins road race on his hardtail

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/mount...-his-hardtail/

When I was in Italy for a couple of weeks of riding in 2013 there was a guy on a group road ride. He was riding a MTB with...wait for it...No fork and thus, obviously, no front wheel. Understandably, he was relegated to the rear of the group, but he was keeping up. Really wished I could have gotten my camera out in time as the passed heading in the other direction. Our host, who has been running the Italian Cycling Center for a long time told us that there was a local who used to climb Monte Grappa that way.