Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Major Taylor on “Fresh Aire” (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176002)

RobbieTunes 06-18-19 07:27 AM

Major Taylor on “Fresh Aire”

I’m no fan of NPR, but I listen to it often.

Today’s “Fresh Aire” segment is on the world’s fastest man. Given the very real obstacles to his success at the time, I have no idea what the gist of the show will be.

Worth finding out.

qcpmsame 06-18-19 07:30 AM

Heard that on the way onto work this morning, I'll be listening for it around noon here. "Fresh Aire" is usually pretty well done and produced, hoping this is up to Terry's usual standards.

Bill

RobbieTunes 06-18-19 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 20984287)
Heard that on the way onto work this morning, I'll be listening for it around noon here. "Fresh Aire" is usually pretty well done and produced, hoping the sis up to Terry's usual standards.

Bill

Agreed

qcpmsame 06-18-19 07:35 AM

I see what you did there........and, what I didn't do there, also.

Bill

RobbieTunes 06-18-19 10:29 AM

Listening. Pretty good. I’ll buy the book, too.

Spaghetti Legs 06-18-19 10:38 AM

My wife just now told me about this. You draw your own conclusions what this means.

canklecat 06-18-19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 20984284)
I’m no fan of NPR, but I listen to it often...

Sounds like me and riding bikes in summertime heat. Not a fan. Do it anyway. :lol:

Listening to the podcast now. More Major Taylor is a good thing. I ride bare-ankled like him. Alas, my shorty socks don't make me any faster.

bobwysiwyg 06-18-19 03:48 PM

I was previously aware of Major Taylor and listen to NPR often. It was a good listen today. The replacement of cycles by autos was very striking.
In many ways, many things haven't changed all that much.
The Six Day "races" sounded like they were brutal to say the least.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...19ddca450a.jpg

ryansu 06-18-19 07:23 PM

Thanks for the tip @RobbieTunes listening now via NPR Podcasts :thumb: and put a hold on the book at the library

uncle uncle 06-18-19 07:50 PM

I've read it... I thought it was pretty good, though I'm pretty easy to please in the "written word about bicycles, bicycle riders, bicycle racing, the history of bicycles, and the impact of bicycles on the environment/economy/world" genres. The steam powered pacing vehicles and the history of race tracks around the turn of the century... those were two subjects covered by the book that I had little to no knowledge (prior to reading this book), and it was a bonus to find out about them within the pages.

jeffwhitfield 06-18-19 08:29 PM

Listened a bit to the same interview on NPR. The story is very, very interesting. I’ll likely pickup the book by the author sometime soon. :)

RobbieTunes 06-18-19 08:33 PM

I'm definitely getting the book. The excitement in the author's voice when he was being interviewed betrayed his enthusiasm for the subject.

the_mahout 06-18-19 09:33 PM

Thanks for the tip. I am a listener but would have missed this one today.

jade408 06-18-19 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by uncle uncle (Post 20985354)
I've read it... I thought it was pretty good, though I'm pretty easy to please in the "written word about bicycles, bicycle riders, bicycle racing, the history of bicycles, and the impact of bicycles on the environment/economy/world" genres. The steam powered pacing vehicles and the history of race tracks around the turn of the century... those were two subjects covered by the book that I had little to no knowledge (prior to reading this book), and it was a bonus to find out about them within the pages.

Interesting. I read this Major Taylor book a few years ago, and was wondering what new ground would be covered. I am also wondering how well this book helps to orient Major Taylor's experiences in the socio-cultural and political structure of the time.

canklecat 06-18-19 11:51 PM

Interesting radio segment. It revealed a few things about Taylor that I hadn't heard before. He was quite an impressive character, with exceptional perseverance considering the obstacles. It was particularly interesting to hear about his influence on boxer Jack Johnson. Before this radio segment, I'd only heard about Johnson being influenced by Joe Gans, the first black man to hold a recognized world boxing title. Gans was among the rare early boxers whose style would still be successful today with some minor modifications to adapt to new rules about clinching and wrestling.

reno rs 06-21-19 08:35 AM

Today’s “Fresh Aire” segment is on the world’s fastest man. Given the very real obstacles to his success at the time, I have no idea what the gist of the show will be.

Worth finding out.

Thanks for the tip! Something to listen to at work today!

52telecaster 06-21-19 10:16 AM

Personally i love npr and the segment was great!

Salamandrine 06-21-19 11:00 AM

I caught a few minutes of it during lunch. Seemed pretty good to me.
Will try to listen to the rest later. Here's the podcast link. https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444908/fresh-air

Last ride 76 06-21-19 11:47 AM

Worth finding out.

I caught part of that Fresh Air (added "e" is derisive?) segment in my truck driving between jobs, heard "Major Taylor" and my ears perked up. I knew a little bit before, but now looking forward to getting book from the library. Missed the OP at the time, but appreciate the action.
BBC News hour is best general news source on radio, IMO...

mstateglfr 06-21-19 12:56 PM

I cant imagine why someone would take issue with Fresh Air- its basically all types of people being interviewed about their lives and Terry Gross seems to be well read about each guest. Its human interest and its an incredibly popular podcast, but you cant please everybody.

I do believe I just found something to listen to tomorrow while riding. Ill be with friends for 25mi, then on my own for 40- this will be the perfect thing to take up some of that solo time.

RobbieTunes 06-21-19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20990061)
I cant imagine why someone would take issue with Fresh Air- its basically all types of people being interviewed about their lives and Terry Gross seems to be well read about each guest.

No issue with Fresh Air. Terry Gross does a good job, and she didn't do this segment, anyway.

May want to read my initial post, clearly did not state any issue with Fresh Aire...
...NPR, most definitely, but that's not the topic of the thread. Major Taylor is.

rhm 06-21-19 05:33 PM

Yeah, but you kicked the thread off by sharing your opinion of NPR. We read that before we got to the point of the thread. One opinion leads to another, and everyone has one.

There's good reason why we don't talk politics here

mstateglfr 06-21-19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 20990099)
No issue with Fresh Air. Terry Gross does a good job, and she didn't do this segment, anyway.

May want to read my initial post, clearly did not state any issue with Fresh Aire...
...NPR, most definitely, but that's not the topic of the thread. Major Taylor is.

I saw you dislike npr and not fresh air.
Still don't understand the 'e' at the end of air, but to each their owne, I guess.

Perhaps it's local, but npr by me is basically fresh air, science friday, some market watch, national/international news updates, various indie and folk music, and local human interest. Oh, and a bit of unfunny improv comedy too.
I don't get how there is even a divide over it, so I commented on specific programming thats on npr since it was brought up.

Anyways, this thread got me to read a bit more about his life, so info appreciate it.

Road Fan 06-22-19 06:08 PM

Just for reference, on the NPR web site it's "Fresh Air," so I'd assume that's the intended spelling.

RobbieTunes 06-22-19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 20990499)
Yeah, but you kicked the thread off by sharing your opinion of NPR. We read that before we got to the point of the thread. One opinion leads to another, and everyone has one.

No opinion listed at all. It's a product. I'm not a fan; doesn't mean I don't listen to it. I'm not into celeste Bianchis, either, but understand the attraction. I think it could easily support itself without taxpayer funding; it's superior to the competition, for sure. Same with PBS.

I just change stations when Inskeep or Green are pretending to be objective, then switch back. Any student of grammar can tell what they're trying to do.

I wouldn't buy tickets to Wait, Wait..., but definitely listen, until they get political. I like Paula Poundstone and Tom Bodette. Big fan of This American Life. Mourn Click and Clack, sometimes do the puzzle thing, definitely listen to BBC, even though it's not always objective, either.

I'm not sure why anyone sees derision in my "Aire" vs. Air. It's like Olde Towne Pub. Really, I just want a beer.

I'm gonna have another rum and coke. Leave the wine-ing to others.

Major Taylor is an American hero and should be celebrated as such. Given the range of his talent, determination, and work ethic, plus the obstacles he had to overcome, he was very likely the best ever. With today's opportunities, he'd be recognized, wealthy, and an icon. Imagine if he'd been a competitor just 40 years later, or now. A guy that can win a time trial/sprint race, and then race for 6 days (1700 miles). On those bikes, with that gear. Stud. Timing is everything. Right man, wrong time. Doesn't mean we shouldn't recognize him.