Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Trek Verve 3 vs Cannondale Treadwell? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175108)

Panabal 06-08-19 07:35 AM

Trek Verve 3 vs Cannondale Treadwell?

Hello all, this is my first post here. I'm in the market for a comfort-style hybrid. Primary purpose is family cruising and adding a rear-mount child seat for my 1 y/o child. I was looking at the Trek Verve 3 and stumbled across the Cannondale Treadwell 2. Does anyone have any opinions on these two bikes? I can't find much on the Treadwell but I think it's a pretty cool bike - and has disks. I think the 2019 model of the Verve 3 will have disk brakes but it's not out yet.

A little background on me - grew up racing BMX, bought my first MTB (Trek Fuel 80) in 2001 but haven't rode it in about 7-8 years. It's actually collecting dust now. :( A couple years ago I bought a Sun Revolutions beach cruiser for scooting around the beach house. I love its laid-back style, but wish it had some gears. Now with my 1 y/o kid, I want to get back into riding a la family-style. I'm 40, fit, and pretty flexible.

Thanks in advance!

Helderberg 06-08-19 07:49 AM

You are looking at two good bikes so quality is not an issue. The disc brakes are a good addition in my opinion but above all fit is the most important thing between them. Get some seat time on both and choose from there as a better braking in the rain means nothing if you are not comfortable on the bike. The Cannondale is a new model in their line but uses decent components and the Trek has been around for a while so again both are solid for what they are. You would want to get the bike that is the most comfortable as then you will be more apt to want to ride. Good luck.
Frank.

Just took a look at the Verve 1 Disc Lowstep. That is a nice bike and has solid components for this range. Would lean towards the hydraulic discs over the mech but not a deal breaker for me. Again, the fit is the big decider in my opinion.

EGBigelo 06-08-19 08:37 AM

I don’t have much to add, but just wanted to say the Treadwell is an awesome looking bike. The Cannondale marketing of it is working because I want one! It’s cool, hip and looks like a good do it all comfortable bike.

If I hadn’t just bought a Trek DS2 I’d be all over it.

Panabal 06-08-19 04:31 PM

Thanks for the replies, advice, and thoughts. Glad to know that I'm not the only one liking the Treadwell. I've sat on both and took them on a spin around the parking lot and they both ride very nice and comfortable, especially compared to my old Trek Fuel 80. I know that's not enough time to get a good feel, so I'll try to get a little more saddle time on both before deciding. Something else I have to consider is that a rear mount kid's seat will go on it, so I have to make sure I get the right bike/seat combo.

The Treadwell is $100 more but it does have disc brakes and a "computer" that interfaces with your smartphone. I'm not well versed in the grade of the components (derailleurs, gears, brakes, etc.) though so I don't really know how the bikes compare there. It's been a while since I was a bike geek and now I'm not so familiar with all the new tech and quality and level of components.

hokiefyd 06-08-19 06:25 PM

That Treadwell is pretty cool. Another in the category is the Specialized Roll.

The Treadwell compares pretty favorably to the Roll I think. The $750 Treadwell 2 comes with hydraulic discs and a nice 1x9 drivetrain with an 11-42 cassette. To get a 1x drivetrain in a Roll, you have to step up to the $900 Roll Elite, and it comes with an 11-40 9-speed cassette.

Nice job, Cannondale!

RNTRMP 06-14-19 06:07 AM

Hi,
I saw your post and am wondering about the Treadwell too. One potential issue I see is that it may be difficult to fit a frame mounted rear child seat. Have you tried? Seems like with the dropped seatstays and the kinked toptube, you'll have to mount the childseat bracket too low for the child seat to clear the back wheel. Any info you have would be great!

beachball42 06-14-19 08:52 AM

Don't know anything about the Teadwell but but I do have a Trek Verve 2 that I bought last year. I looked at the Verve 3 but couldn't justify the extra money for the style of riding I was doing and they didn't have them in stock and I didn't want to wait. What I like about the Trek is the more upright seating position. With my back issues having a more upright position has been wonderful. The only modification I made was to the grips, I changed out my stock ones for Ergon 5 style and love them. My only real complaint with the Trek is the seat shock really isn't that great when you hit the bumps and the turning radius is a bit wider. If I try to make a sharp turn then my foot hits the front tire depending on my pedal position. I've ride it mainly on MUP's, some road and some gravel/dirt trails and haven't had any issues. My area is fairly flat but I've not had any issues with getting up the few hills I do have.

My other bike is a Trek 4900 MTB and that one does have disc brakes and if I could change anything on my Verve it would be to have the disk brakes. I don't necessarily need them but I just like the disc brakes better. The Verve is a very solid bike for they way I use it which is primarily recreational riding and bike commuting to work 7.5 miles one way. I don't have a bike computer, I just use my Apple Watch to track my rides and it seems to work fine.

fat2fit 06-14-19 10:06 AM

What about the Verve 2 Disc? Either way I suspect both bikes will be solid for what you're looking for. Good luck