Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Vertical jump and cycling training (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1196619)

Avocados 03-26-20 03:06 PM

Vertical jump and cycling training

Does anyone know or have any experience about vertical jump height changing after cycling training??
I have a good body to jump high but my vertical jump is very average (20 inches!!!) is this caused by practicing cycling or is just genetics?? Thanks

mstateglfr 03-26-20 05:46 PM

What was your vertical before picking up cycling?
And do you practice very specific exercises or just assume you are good to get up since you have a good bod for it(not really sure what that means)?

seypat 03-26-20 06:04 PM

Genetics.

Carbonfiberboy 03-26-20 09:40 PM

I would guess that your vertical jump would suffer from the usual cycling training. Cycling is an endurance sport, emphasis on slow twitch muscles, vs. jumping, emphasis on fast twitch. The two types can convert back and forth to quite an extent with training. The same cyclist can train either to be a sprinter or a climber, and be fairly good at either one, but not as good at both at once. Of course if you never had a good jump, maybe it's genetics for you. Cycling won't help though.

Avocados 03-27-20 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21385322)
What was your vertical before picking up cycling?
And do you practice very specific exercises or just assume you are good to get up since you have a good bod for it(not really sure what that means)?

Just assume i'm good to jump since i have a good body to do it....ahahah

gregf83 03-27-20 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 21385653)
I would guess that your vertical jump would suffer from the usual cycling training. Cycling is an endurance sport, emphasis on slow twitch muscles, vs. jumping, emphasis on fast twitch. The two types can convert back and forth to quite an extent with training. The same cyclist can train either to be a sprinter or a climber, and be fairly good at either one, but not as good at both at once. Of course if you never had a good jump, maybe it's genetics for you. Cycling won't help though.

Increasing the slow twitch ratio is much easier than the other way around - “sprinters are born, not made”.

mstateglfr 03-27-20 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Avocados (Post 21385779)
Just assume i'm good to jump since i have a good body to do it....ahahah

just assume I'm out on this thread until it becomes clearer it's actually serious.

You did t answer my questions and I really dont l ow how you quantify having g a good body to jump. If you have a good body to jump high then you fan jump high, yet you are at 20"...

Good luck with your quest to improve your vert or to troll.

Avocados 03-27-20 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21385878)
just assume I'm out on this thread until it becomes clearer it's actually serious.

You did t answer my questions and I really dont l ow how you quantify having g a good body to jump. If you have a good body to jump high then you fan jump high, yet you are at 20"...

Good luck with your quest to improve your vert or to troll.

Sorry, i didn't mean to sound not very serious, i just mean that i assume my vertical jump should be higher than 20 inches, because I have a good body to jump high (long legs and lightweight), so my question was : is my bad vertical affected by cycling training or is just genetics?

wphamilton 03-27-20 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Avocados (Post 21385909)
Sorry, i didn't mean to sound not very serious, i just mean that i assume my vertical jump should be higher than 20 inches, because I have a good body to jump high (long legs and lightweight), so my question was : is my bad vertical affected by cycling training or is just genetics?

Jumping high has to be trained, just like cycling fast. I doubt that cycling physically hurts your jumping ability, but it probably takes up your training schedule.

Fiery 03-27-20 06:48 AM

Having long legs and low body weight means little by itself. Vertical jump is about strength to weight ratio and fast to slow twitch muscle fiber ratio, plus specific technique and conditioning. Finally, your vertical jump seems to be at the top end of average or slightly above average. Not bad at all for someone who, I'm guessing, has spent little to no time actually training for jumping.

Avocados 03-27-20 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fiery (Post 21385952)
Having long legs and low body weight means little by itself. Vertical jump is about strength to weight ratio and fast to slow twitch muscle fiber ratio, plus specific technique and conditioning. Finally, your vertical jump seems to be at the top end of average or slightly above average. Not bad at all for someone who, I'm guessing, has spent little to no time actually training for jumping.

Be in the average, for an atlethic 16 yrs old guy with long and strong, but skinny legs, (im just 55 kg for 180 cm, good in climbs) is not good, however i ve never done plyometrics training, but i think it s genetics( based on the answers...)

Dean V 03-27-20 06:34 PM

How does it matter what your vertical jump is?
Sure it counts if required in the sport you do (Athletics, basketball) in which case you would specifically train for it.
Outside of that it doesn't matter.