Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Anyone have the new MKS GR-10 pedal? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=874917)

bike-izle 02-26-13 12:20 PM

Anyone have the new MKS GR-10 pedal?

You like it?

BigglyPuff 02-26-13 01:51 PM

Not the GR-10, but I have GR-9's and Urban Plats and like both of them. Can't see how I would dislike GR-10's.

skielbasa 02-26-13 02:35 PM

Yes and yes. I also have GR-9's too, the GR-10's are much more comfortable. I have really soft/worn down shoes so my foot actually would sink into the middle of the GR-9's. The GR-10's are flat on the top like the Urban Platforms which eliminates that issue. However, I do find them harder to flip than my GR-9's (probably just me). And if you plan on running double straps you need really long bolts to keep the front strap in place.

Scrodzilla 02-26-13 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by skielbasa (Post 15319820)
And if you plan on running double straps you need really long bolts to keep the front strap in place.

Not true. Angie uses GR-9s and I've use Wellgo RO25bs without long bolts. The straps stays put just fine.

skielbasa 02-26-13 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 15319965)
Not true. Angie uses GR-9s and I've use Wellgo RO25bs without long bolts. The straps stays put just fine.

I meant for the GR-10s, it might be my cheap straps though.

Scrodzilla 02-26-13 06:46 PM

Unless your straps are insanely loose, physics will still hold the straps in place.

UCF Eric 02-26-13 06:53 PM

I used a set of GR10's for a few days before they snapped in half. Super comfortable pedal, would buy again.

Scrodzilla 02-26-13 06:58 PM

If only you knew how to hop your bike...

BigglyPuff 02-26-13 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by UCF Eric (Post 15320760)
I used a set of GR10's for a few days before they snapped in half. Super comfortable pedal, would buy again.

What the..? You mean at the spindle or what? How you do dat?

Scrodzilla 02-26-13 08:18 PM

He hit a curb and the body broke right behind the clip.

LeosLeader 02-26-13 08:26 PM

I got the GR10s as well, i love em. I got a big foot too, for cages. I wear sz13.
Got mine from Scrod.

heymatthew 08-29-14 08:25 AM

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I am shopping around for pedals and have settled on (I think) the GR-10's. I'm also looking at the MKS Urban. I wear a size 12 shoe and have a question about clips. I'm going to pick up the All City plastic clips and I'm curious if you guys with a similar shoe size think a Large clip will be big enough or if I need to go with an X-Large clip. I know the Urbans are sort of in-between the GR-9 and GR-10 so I was kind of thinking maybe an XL Clip with the Urban or a Large Clip with the GR-10... Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Matthew

TejanoTrackie 08-29-14 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by heymatthew (Post 17081169)
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I am shopping around for pedals and have settled on (I think) the GR-10's. I'm also looking at the MKS Urban. I wear a size 12 shoe and have a question about clips. I'm going to pick up the All City plastic clips and I'm curious if you guys with a similar shoe size think a Large clip will be big enough or if I need to go with an X-Large clip. I know the Urbans are sort of in-between the GR-9 and GR-10 so I was kind of thinking maybe an XL Clip with the Urban or a Large Clip with the GR-10... Does this make sense?

No, it makes no sense to me. The width of the pedal has nothing to do with the length of the clip.

heymatthew 08-29-14 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 17081263)
No, it makes no sense to me. The width of the pedal has nothing to do with the length of the clip.

Not the width, the depth. Front to back length.

TejanoTrackie 08-29-14 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by heymatthew (Post 17081267)
Not the width, the depth. Front to back length.

Are they different in depth forward of the axle ? I thought the only significant difference is the width.

heymatthew 08-29-14 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 17081285)
Are they different in depth forward of the axle ? I thought the only significant difference is the width.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If they're all the same front to back, then I just need to know if I should do a Large or Extra-Large for the clip based on my shoe size of 12. I think I read that Scrod prefers the GR-10 to a 9 for his pedals and that he's a size 12 so I was just assuming it's a deeper (longer) pedal. I may be wrong here, though and it may just come down to clip size.

TejanoTrackie 08-29-14 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by heymatthew (Post 17081293)
That's what I'm trying to figure out. If they're all the same front to back, then I just need to know if I should do a Large or Extra-Large for the clip based on my shoe size of 12. I think I read that Scrod prefers the GR-10 to a 9 for his pedals and that he's a size 12 so I was just assuming it's a deeper (longer) pedal. I may be wrong here, though and it may just come down to clip size.

I just looked at the RG site and the GR-10 is definitely longer than the GR-9, so you may the right about this. I didn't see any length dimension listed for the Urban Platform, only a width value, so IDK what the difference might be between it and the GR-10. Maybe Scrod will chime in to clarify.

heymatthew 08-29-14 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 17081318)
I just looked at the RG site and the GR-10 is definitely longer than the GR-9, so you may the right about this. I didn't see any length dimension listed for the Urban Platform, only a width value, so IDK what the difference might be between it and the GR-10. Maybe Scrod will chime in to clarify.

Yeah, I didn't see any length dimensions anywhere. I even looked at the MKS Catalog and they don't list dimensions at all. RG shows that the Urbans are "slightly larger" than the GR-9 and judging from what I've read online, the GR-10 is larger than the GR-9 and the Urban (GR-9.5, I guess :)) so I'm trying to figure out which size clips I should get for my foot. Unfortunately, the only LBS close to me doesn't carry MKS pedals so I can't really try 'em out in-person.

TejanoTrackie 08-29-14 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by heymatthew (Post 17081332)
Yeah, I didn't see any length dimensions anywhere. I even looked at the MKS Catalog and they don't list dimensions at all. RG shows that the Urbans are "slightly larger" than the GR-9 and judging from what I've read online, the GR-10 is larger than the GR-9 and the Urban (GR-9.5, I guess :)) so I'm trying to figure out which size clips I should get for my foot. Unfortunately, the only LBS close to me doesn't carry MKS pedals so I can't really try 'em out in-person.

Well, FWIW, I have small 7-1/2 feet and use medium MKS clips with my Urbans, so I'd venture you'd need XL clips. Why don't you post this question in the Ask Scrod thread ?

heymatthew 08-29-14 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 17081355)
Well, FWIW, I have small 7-1/2 feet and use medium MKS clips with my Urbans, so I'd venture you'd need XL clips.

That's actually super helpful. Thanks! If someone chimes in with a similar shoe size, that's great, but I'm thinking you're right based on the fact that our shoe sizes are so far apart. I appreciate the help!

Scrodzilla 08-29-14 09:31 AM

Here's the deal:

I have size 12 feet and typically use size large clips on my pedals. I have GR-10s on one of my bikes and need to use size medium clips with them due to the pedal being considerably longer.

Hope that helps.

heymatthew 08-29-14 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 17081408)
Here's the deal:

I have size 12 feet and typically use size large clips on my pedals. I have GR-10s on one of my bikes and need to use size medium clips with them due to the pedal being considerably longer.

Hope that helps.

Helps a ton! Thanks so much!

AristoNYC 08-29-14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by heymatthew (Post 17081169)

Thanks,
Matthew

I have the GR-10 with Soma Oppy-X 4 clips in L/XL size. They fit my 11.5 foot just fine. I prefer the GR-10 to the GR-9 due to the smooth surface. The GR-9 can get painful, especially when climbing with softer sole shoes. Truthfully I don't use them anymore since I ride clipless on all my bikes but if you're looking for a good combo I recommend the GR-10 and a similarly sized clip.

heymatthew 08-29-14 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by AristoNYC (Post 17082853)
I have the GR-10 with Soma Oppy-X 4 clips in L/XL size. They fit my 11.5 foot just fine. I prefer the GR-10 to the GR-9 due to the smooth surface. The GR-9 can get painful, especially when climbing with softer sole shoes. Truthfully I don't use them anymore since I ride clipless on all my bikes but if you're looking for a good combo I recommend the GR-10 and a similarly sized clip.

Thanks! You guys have all been a huge help.

heymatthew 09-02-14 09:14 AM

I appreciate all the insight guys! Just ordered new pedals/clips/straps from RG. I'll definitely report back here to update the thread for future visitors once I've had a chance to get them installed and ride them for a minute. Looking forward to having some proper pedals that actually fit my flippers.

Thanks,
Matthew