Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   School me on disc brakes... cause apparently I'm out of the loop (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1162670)

cuda2k 12-21-18 06:18 PM

School me on disc brakes... cause apparently I'm out of the loop

So in short, after an extended time off the bike I decided to finally do something about the one bike in the stable I wasn't happy with - my All City Space Horse. I never trusted the canilever brakes no matter who I or anyone tried to set them up. So on a semi-whim I found and ordered a Surly Straggler frameset (IS mounting setup). As a die-hard Campagnolo user, I first started looking at options of moving over my existing build of 10-sp Veloce, only to find countless articles saying 'mechanical discs are dead, hydraulic is worth it in 2018' - but now I find that the TRP Hy-Rd won't play with Campy levers, and I also all the new generation hydraulic caliper road groups out there from both Campy and those 'S' brands, all use this Flat Mount setup... for which I can find no adapter to IS mount. So, how do I find braking satisfaction on my gravel setup?

redlude97 12-21-18 06:43 PM

You can use HY-RDs if you modify the lever arms or buy some from Joejack https://www.bikeforums.net/19380601-post77.html

Marcus_Ti 12-21-18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by cuda2k (Post 20714648)
So in short, after an extended time off the bike I decided to finally do something about the one bike in the stable I wasn't happy with - my All City Space Horse. I never trusted the canilever brakes no matter who I or anyone tried to set them up. So on a semi-whim I found and ordered a Surly Straggler frameset (IS mounting setup). As a die-hard Campagnolo user, I first started looking at options of moving over my existing build of 10-sp Veloce, only to find countless articles saying 'mechanical discs are dead, hydraulic is worth it in 2018' - but now I find that the TRP Hy-Rd won't play with Campy levers, and I also all the new generation hydraulic caliper road groups out there from both Campy and those 'S' brands, all use this Flat Mount setup... for which I can find no adapter to IS mount. So, how do I find braking satisfaction on my gravel setup?

You don't use flat mount. You need a bike frame built for flat-mount to use flat mount. Mech actuated disc performance is a downer compared to nice hydraulics once you're used to hydraulics...but having them isn't the end of the world

That Surly still sells some (new) frames with IS mount...is frankly funny in that not-at-all-funny kind of way. There's still lots of VHS and LaserDisc media out there as well, but time has long since moved on. Shoot, their Midnight Special is flat mount, it isn't like their entire lineup is partying like it is Y2K.

gus6464 12-21-18 08:01 PM

You can fit a post mount caliper into a flat mount frame but you cannot put a flat mount caliper into anything but a flat mount frame. Post mount can basically go into anything (IS, Flat, etc.) but flat cannot. TRP HY-RD is also not a true hydraulic system. It's a cable actuated caliper that uses hydraulic fluid to move the piston. You are still susceptible to the wear and tear of mechanical brakes when it comes to cable but the breaking is a little smoother because the pistons are moving with fluid. A true hydraulic brake has fluid from beginning to end from the brake lever to the piston.

cuda2k 12-21-18 08:13 PM

Welp, that's kinda a kick in the pants way to dive back into a new build after 5 years. Still can't be any more old school tech then Canilivers on new frames...

Marcus_Ti 12-21-18 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by cuda2k (Post 20714753)
Welp, that's kinda a kick in the pants way to dive back into a new build after 5 years. Still can't be any more old school tech then Canilivers on new frames...

Well the problem is...there's stuff that is "vintage" and elegant even if "obsolete"...and there's stuff that is new and ginchy. And everything in the abyss in between is neither. People love vinyl today, and people love FLAC or equivalent today....next to no one looks back fondly on DATs or LaserDisc and hordes that stuff, really.

Flat mount is the new "standard", post mount is the recently departed standard--before discs were cantis etc...and in the abyss is I.S.

cuda2k 12-21-18 08:53 PM

So it would seem... who wants to gift me the cash for a custom Kirk Frameworks that's all setup for flat mount?

mstateglfr 12-21-18 09:55 PM

Just use mechanical disc. They are anything but dead. Some new bikes that cost $2k are sold with mech brakes.

I am convinced that brakes are the component that is the most over discussed for the benefit/difference between options. <---poorly worded.
I have quality hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike. I have quality canti brakes that are 25 years old on my gravel bike. I've spend good time with mechanical trp spyre disc on a gravel bike.
I would be happy with any of them in terms of performance. And I prefer cable brakes from an aesthetic perspective of the STI levers.

things I care more about than type of brake- shifters, drivetrain gearing, wheelset quality, tire quality, and saddle.

dsaul 12-22-18 06:49 AM

Someone in Canada has made an adapter to fit flat mount brakes on a post mount frame.

https://www.assolutions.ca/product-category/adapters/

Koyote 12-22-18 08:34 AM

I think Paul Components makes some good mechanical disc brakes with IS mount. They are expensive, but probably work pretty well.

Edited to add: I agree with mstateglfr above. Some posters remind me of teens who act as if life would be impossible without cell phones. Those of us who remember the days before cell phones and hydro disc brakes know that neither is essential.

Caliper 12-22-18 08:35 AM

Mech discs are fine IF you use good components. I have felt some nasty mech discs at a bike shop (on a new bike, not dirty) but they don't have to be that way.
I've got a bike with Avid BB7 road calipers and Jagwire disc specific cables. The brake cable housing must be full length also. Honestly, they feel 90% of hydraulic discs and I can adjust the pad clearance to my taste. This should work fine with your Campy levers.

fietsbob 12-22-18 04:10 PM

If you overcome your Prejudice against Cable disc brakes, Paul Comp Clamper is a USA made caliper with 3 different actuating lever lengths..
(LP, SP, CP)
shortest of which is made for Campagnolo road brake levers ...
here is the part itself..

https://www.paulcomp.com/wp-content/...-Pull-I.S..jpg

https://www.paulcomp.com/wp-content/...r_allblack.jpg

tyrion 12-22-18 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by cuda2k (Post 20714648)
...now I find that the TRP Hy-Rd won't play with Campy levers

Are Campy levers shorter pull than Shimanos? I just got a bike with Hy/Rd brakes and Sora shifters and it works fine.

fietsbob 12-22-18 06:17 PM

Nb:

Originally Posted by tyrion (Post 20715645)
Are Campy levers shorter pull than Shimanos? I just got a bike with Hy/Rd brakes and Sora shifters and it works fine.

Note my link above yours.. this is why 'the Clamper', has interchangeable actuating arms.. with CP being the shortest..
SP short (Or Shimano?) pull LP is V brake pull ..

Myself , I'm Running Hy Rd with Avid Speed dial MTB levers, dialed way back to the shortest pull adjustment .. that works too...

cuda2k 12-22-18 08:02 PM

Joejack has a set of adapter arms for the TRP Hy-Rd on their way to me. Let the new build begin...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a093ca1ea5.jpg

(final build parts will depend on if I sell my current gravel/touring setup as a complete bike or parted frameset)

cuda2k 12-22-18 08:06 PM

They almost match... the Surly is a shade darker with a bit more metal flake. And yes, it was more or less intentional.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dc433d17fb.jpg

Marcus_Ti 12-22-18 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by cuda2k (Post 20715815)
Joejack has a set of adapter arms for the TRP Hy-Rd on their way to me. Let the new build begin...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a093ca1ea5.jpg

(final build parts will depend on if I sell my current gravel/touring setup as a complete bike or parted frameset)

This looks like it deserves its own build thread as it comes together :love:

cuda2k 12-22-18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 20715825)
This looks like it deserves its own build thread as it comes together :love:

Done. :)

Kapusta 12-23-18 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Caliper (Post 20715194)
I've got a bike with Avid BB7 road calipers and Jagwire disc specific cables. The brake cable housing must be full length also. Honestly, they feel 90% of hydraulic discs and I can adjust the pad clearance to my taste. This should work fine with your Campy levers.

This^^^

I run the same setup.I would say more like 75% of hydraulics, but definitely better than any cantis I’ve used.

cs1 12-23-18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20714884)
Just use mechanical disc. They are anything but dead. Some new bikes that cost $2k are sold with mech brakes.

I am convinced that brakes are the component that is the most over discussed for the benefit/difference between options. <---poorly worded.
I have quality hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike. I have quality canti brakes that are 25 years old on my gravel bike. I've spend good time with mechanical trp spyre disc on a gravel bike.
I would be happy with any of them in terms of performance. And I prefer cable brakes from an aesthetic perspective of the STI levers.

things I care more about than type of brake- shifters, drivetrain gearing, wheelset quality, tire quality, and saddle.

I’m still using cantis and they perform well. I have no doubt disc brakes work better. But a new frame for the sake of brakes is silly to me.

Cyclist0108 12-23-18 09:22 PM

Shimano XT(R) post mount calipers are the same as the old Ultegra(Dura Ace) post-mount calipers. They are interchangeable. There is no need to get a new frame.

mstateglfr 12-23-18 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by cs1 (Post 20716872)

I’m still using cantis and they perform well. I have no doubt disc brakes work better. But a new frame for the sake of brakes is silly to me.

yeah, my gravel bike's canti brakes function great, feel responsive, and stop my big self without concern.
funny enough, i certainly dont need a new gravel bike, but plan to build a frame late next year that will have disc brakes.
it isnt solely because of disc brakes that ill build it though. Also want to try a carbon fork and see if I can build a lighter frame than my current one(pretty sure I can).

but not everyone has positive canti brake experiences. Its surprising how many people hate em due to finding proper setup to be difficult. So i can see the appeal of getting a new frame just for disc brakes in this situation.

cuda2k 12-24-18 09:41 PM

Well, if anyone is in the market for a canti equipped gravel bike, I have a like-new All-City Space Horse up for sale. 55cm, selling the full bike or frame/wheels/brakes. DFW location, but will ship at cost.