Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Shoe fitting help? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1155959)

Jixr 09-20-18 10:23 AM

Shoe fitting help?

Trying to buy my first pair of higher end cycling shoes, and i'm having really bad luck.

There is no LBS around that carries anything higher end, so I've been buying and returning shoes online for the last few weeks.

Trying to buy my first pair of higher end cycling shoes, and i'm having really bad luck.

There is no LBS around that carries anything higher end, so I've been buying and returning shoes online for the last few weeks.

My main question is how much space should you have between the tips of your toes and the end of the shoe.

Generally, I like my shoes tight all over, and not much forward/back play, resulting in my toes being right at the tip of the shoe. My old shoes my toes touched the end, and were a hair tight, but never got cramps or had any issues on 100+ mile rides.

And generally, sizing is all over the place. My old Giros were 42's, I've tried a different model grio at 42.5 that was nearly a centimeter smaller than the other model, and its just been a huge pain in the ass ( and expensive as I have to pay shipping and return shipping )

I've finally settled on a shoe i like, but to hopefully get lucky, I ordered 2 pairs, a 42.5 and 43, to see which one fits best.

I'm really worried about the idea of my foot being able to slide back and forward in my shoe, but don't want my toes to feel too cramped or start chafing the tip of the shoe. Since i've yet to find a perfect fitting one, wondering if it would be better to have my toes directly against the end, or have a tiny bit of space and worry about my foot sliding around?

philbob57 09-20-18 04:54 PM

What's your budget? Does it stretch to custom-made? You send the maker an outline of your foot and some measurements of circumferences at various locations along your foot.

fietsbob 09-24-18 09:33 AM

Buy from a place that lets you return the ones that don't fit... check,
order 3 around your foot size, return 2.
Buy from somewhere with a telephone , and ask them?

Maybe you have The opportunity to try on a lower cost version
of that company's shoes to understand how their sizes run...

Drive to a city with better shoes in the shops?

McMitchell 10-02-18 10:07 PM

Fitting shoes can be difficult. I use to fit hiking boots, running shoes can be hard to fit too. A good distance running shoe store can be a good resourse to fit shoes as they wear out lots of shoes. Running shoe stores often have machines that analyze how ones feet strike the ground and may suggest shoe structure.

I would caution against fitting shoes with toes jammed up into the toe box. I use to do that which ended up giving me two split toenails on my pinky toes. The truth is I have duck feet though. My toes are short and close to the same length making them hard to jam into a narrow toe box. You certainly do not want to hike in boots that your toes run into the end of the toe box in, as downhill will wreck your toes. Bicycle shoes may be different but I believe many of the same principals apply.

Lars Halstrom 12-25-18 12:13 PM

Your mid foot arch in your shoe should keep your foot from sliding as well as your metatarsal pad. They need to be located in the right position too. On long rides your feet will swell and if there isn't enough toe box room at the tips, you'll probably get numbness. Having the right fitting shoes is key to a comfortable ride and prevents injury. My Shimano SPD bike sandals have no problems.

Carbonfiberboy 12-25-18 08:19 PM

My best bike shoe size has my toes definitely touching the end of the shoe while standing on the floor. On the bike, they don't touch. I pedal with feet flat or heels down. If you pedal toes down, your fit will be different.