Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Help with a few items (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1164425)

robrpb 01-16-19 04:42 PM

Help with a few items

Hi, I am new to this forum and if I am posting this in the wrong area please feel free to move it to the correct area. While I was walking the other day I stopped and talked with a neighbor who was riding his bike. After talking with him about riding he he got me interested in riding my bike again instead of walking.

I have a Mongoose Hilltopper bicycle that I have had for about 25 years, though I rode it very little and it looks like new. I am 66 yo and I would like to start riding it again for exercise. One thing I never liked was the seat. It was very uncomfortable. I would like some recommendatons for a comfortable seat so that I will enjoy riding it.

Also, I need to get a helmut and would appreciate help with some suggestions for helmuts. Thanks.

woodcraft 01-17-19 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by robrpb (Post 20751339)
Hi, I am new to this forum and if I am posting this in the wrong area please feel free to move it to the correct area. While I was walking the other day I stopped and talked with a neighbor who was riding his bike. After talking with him about riding he he got me interested in riding my bike again instead of walking.

I have a Mongoose Hilltopper bicycle that I have had for about 25 years, though I rode it very little and it looks like new. I am 66 yo and I would like to start riding it again for exercise. One thing I never liked was the seat. It was very uncomfortable. I would like some recommendatons for a comfortable seat so that I will enjoy riding it.

Also, I need to get a helmut and would appreciate help with some suggestions for helmuts. Thanks.

Saddles are quite individual but something like this could be good to start.

https://www.rei.com/product/888194/s...do-saddle-mens

It takes the butt a while to toughen up so there may be discomfort

for a number of rides with anything.

Make sure the tires will hold air before going very far- the tubes might need to be replaced, & oil the chain.

Helmet all meet the same safety standard, so try on & get whatever fits well & meets your budget.

Gloves are a good idea. Scraped hands are less likely If you take a spill.

robrpb 01-18-19 04:22 PM

Thanks woodcraft. I'll check them out.

Bmach 01-23-19 10:44 PM

Check the saddle fit. If it is the correct size give it a few weeks and see how it feels after that. As woodcraft said it takes a few rides for it to get used to riding. Also start off with short rides so you get used to the seat. If after that you still have problems then start looking. I have 4 different bikes with 4 different saddles and I’m fine on any of them but the common thing is they are all the same size saddles.

pdlamb 01-24-19 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bmach (Post 20761771)
Check the saddle fit. If it is the correct size give it a few weeks and see how it feels after that. As woodcraft said it takes a few rides for it to get used to riding. Also start off with short rides so you get used to the seat.

Most beginners have two problems with their saddles. First, the saddle is too low, so they don't get nearly-full leg extension. As a result, the second problem is their entire weight is on the saddle. Try raising the saddle so you can carry more of your weight on your legs (and arms, too). You'll probably have to build up to this new physical exertion level over some weeks or months before you're comfortable.

fietsbob 01-25-19 10:51 AM

A 'rule of thumb' is ... the more upright you sit the wider saddle you would probably prefer...

Many Saddle Manufacturers share this view..

robrpb 01-27-19 07:12 PM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and recommendations. As I said earlier I have had the bike for many years and when I used to ride it I was not pleased with the saddle that came with it. I will make some adjustments to the saddle to see if that helps. Any suggestions on how to properly adjust the saddle?

Everything on the bike is stock from the factory. With the stock handle bars I have to lean forward and for riding for enjoyment and exercise I think I may like to sit more upright.

fietsbob 01-28-19 01:50 PM

Bicycles to be complete come with A saddle .. You did not change that.. originally .. In my nearby LBS its one of the choices people make at point of sale..

So the shop has New ' Take Off ' Saddles they would be Cheap.. and the shop may let you rotate through several and ride them to find out if you like or dislike them..