Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Biting the Park TS bullet (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206570)

Last ride 76 07-04-20 11:29 AM

Biting the Park TS bullet

So I did it. I went on a binge. New phone, new Chromebook, and I went all in and bought a Park truing stand.
Yeah, the used stand costs more than either the new Moto Gpower smartphone, or the open-box Lenovo touch screen laptop.
To be fair, it will (barring a direct nuclear hit), last longer too. I have many wheels that could use some touch up, and a few new, waiting to be built, so I decided to stop using spare frames for a bit... Very excited, and looking forward to it's arrival! Phone works well, and be nice to have a laptop again too. 😊

Would much rather be down on Cape Cod, eating Lobster at my folk's house with my daughter, it's my Mom's :bday: today, as well.
Cheers, Eric

​​​​​​***Safe​ and healthy best wishes to everyone especially on this Independence Day.***

John E 07-04-20 11:40 AM

I have a VAR truing stand that I sometimes clamp to my workbench, but I generally prefer to true wheels right on the bike, using the brake pads as guides. I do a lot of "braille" tuning, resting a thumb against a brakepad and feeling the rim high spot(s) bumping against the edge of my thumb. For anything beyond a minor touchup, and particularly when I am concerned about radial variations (high and low spots), I remove the tire and tube.

Having said that, I am a bit of a tool freak, and I have always liked Park's offerings. I bought a Park bike repair stand about 15 years ago as a Christmas present to my self, and don't know how I ever did without it.

Narhay 07-04-20 12:23 PM

I recently broke one of the arms of my minoura truing stand. If I become loose with my wallet one day I'd love a park truing stand with the little feeler gauge dials.

juvela 07-04-20 12:40 PM

-----

hope your example relatively late production

for the first eight or ten years of production the stands were neither self-centring nor self-dishing, even thought they claimed to be

this was due to play in the arms at the pivots

owners learned retrofits such as adding brass washers to the arm pivots

finally, after ten or twelve years of user feedback the manufacturer fixed the problem

-----

jackbombay 07-04-20 04:02 PM

I love having a proper truing stand, any time I have a tire off the rim I drop it into the truing stand, so nice to have them always crispy straight!

noglider 07-04-20 04:57 PM

I've built many wheels on crappy truing stands and in bikes, and yet I love using a Park stand. I got one for an irresistible deal a few years ago from a BF member. You won't regret getting it, especially since, as you said, it will last a long time.

RiddleOfSteel 07-04-20 05:21 PM

I bit the bullet several years ago as well. Got it used from a guy (had to drive an hour to get it all) and it included a dish tool and tension tool. It's saved me a ton of money and time and help me build a few sets of wheels. Great investment that can pay for itself relatively quickly, especially if you have a multi-bike fleet.

seedsbelize 07-04-20 07:36 PM

I finally built Roger Musson's design, out of wood, with dropouts to receive the wheel. What a time saver!! I've never built such straight wheels.

Ferrouscious 07-04-20 07:39 PM

I looked at getting a Park stand several times, but after some pizza and cola, my friendly other LBS gave me an old Bikehand folding truing stand. 70% of a Park 2.2 at 5-10% of the cost. Getting a repair stand (Park 9.2) was another luxury I can't live without now.

nesteel 07-04-20 08:01 PM

I originally found a Park for $75 on the local CL, which I liked. Then I happened across a V.A.R. Atomic for $50. Gave the Park to a friend and mounted the Atomic to the workbench.
A truing stand is the best investment a person can make if they intend to maintain and/or build their own wheels.

Velocivixen 07-04-20 09:45 PM

I bought a brand new Part TS on CL. Rider on a club team got it as a gift - didn’t need it. I bought it at a good savings. Works well, and I enjoy using it.

canopus 07-05-20 12:27 AM

Don’t forget to get a wheelsmitth tensionmeter also. once you learn how to use it it makes a big difference in wheelbuilding.

natterberry 07-05-20 08:30 AM

I bought one last year, and currently have a tension meter on the way.