Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Triathlon (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Do you use a bigger-than-53T chainring? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1125178)

FlashBazbo 10-16-17 08:49 AM

Do you use a bigger-than-53T chainring?

Over the weekend, with standard 53/11 gearing, I found myself spun out on a mild 5% down slope. I was spinning a little over 110 rpm at the time and I don't anticipate developing a lot of torque at speeds higher than that, so I'm considering going to a bigger chainring. I don't think a 54T would give me enough to justify the bother/expense, so I'm considering a 55T.

Does anyone here use a 54T or bigger big ring? Is it worth the trouble/expense? What small ring do you have paired with it? Does the bigger ring impact your shifting? Besides moving it up a little, is there anything more you have to do with the front derailleur? And finally . . . do you have cranksets that you would recommend?

ZIPP2001 10-16-17 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo (Post 19932833)
Over the weekend, with standard 53/11 gearing, I found myself spun out on a mild 5% down slope. I was spinning a little over 110 rpm at the time and I don't anticipate developing a lot of torque at speeds higher than that, so I'm considering going to a bigger chainring. I don't think a 54T would give me enough to justify the bother/expense, so I'm considering a 55T.

Does anyone here use a 54T or bigger big ring? Is it worth the trouble/expense? What small ring do you have paired with it? Does the bigger ring impact your shifting? Besides moving it up a little, is there anything more you have to do with the front derailleur? And finally . . . do you have cranksets that you would recommend?

Back when I did a weekly TT series I was running a 56/39 - 11/21. I don't do TT's any longer and run a 54/39 and several different combos in the back depending on terrain 11/21, 11/25, or 11/27. I still try and get out on it once a week and sometimes several times a week. If your already running a 53/11 then I would consider the 55 and skip over the 54. The bigger ring has never had a negative impact on my shifting. I still have my shifting set up as friction not index which allows for fine turning while riding. I do have a slightly wide front derailleur. I run an FSA crank but everyone has there own preference.

Here is it's present set-up.

FSU421 09-03-18 11:29 AM

I switched to a 56/39 set because I too was spinning out on downhills. I love the set up. I haven't spun out since the switch. I run 11-23 cassette, the bike is full DA 7700, it's older but still works perfect, never had any issues with shifting.

ribikeguy 06-20-19 06:29 AM

I ran a 55/39 on my bike last year for the same reasons. Our local tris are hilly and I kept spinning out with my 53, the 56 solved that problem for me. I’m riding a different bike this year and looking to make it a 56 also. I need new cranks for this bike though, can’t get a 56 for a 110bcd crankset.