Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How well is your phone protected? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177629)

spelger 07-06-19 09:24 PM

How well is your phone protected?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...421425ac6a.jpg
Consider this an endorsement for Otterbox...while out riding on July 4 on one of my favorite rides I was my sister pull out and not even give me a wave. I went to text her while riding and dropped my phone which was in my back pocket. I immediately hopped of my bike and began to run to it which landed (of course) in an area where the passenger tire of traffic typically is. A giant SUV was headed toward it and the driver knew full well what I was trying to do. He aimed for it and hit is square on. The case is pretty well smashed as you can see. The phone lives with barely a scratch. So, what kind of protection does your phone have?

-scott

hillyman 07-06-19 09:28 PM

Pretty amazing. Which Otterbox case is that?

eja_ bottecchia 07-06-19 09:31 PM

@spelger, I once dropped a blinky light from the back of my saddle bag. I turned around to retrieve it only to find a jacka@@ in a p/u truck aiming right for it.

He knew what he was doing.

jamesdak 07-06-19 09:35 PM

You don't need protection if you don't text and ride at the same time. Sorta like don't text and drive.

Fahrenheit531 07-06-19 09:48 PM

My protection is not doing stuff like that. The phone itself goes naked unless it may rain, in which case it gets a snack-size ziplock bag.

fietsbob 07-06-19 10:26 PM

Stuffed in a pannier , (in an 'otter box' ?), quite well , I'd say ....

And you?

wipekitty 07-06-19 11:07 PM

That's actually pretty amazing.

That said, a phone deserves protection relative to its value. I have cheap phones and therefore use a Ziploc (tm).

UniChris 07-06-19 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21014674)
That said, a phone deserves protection relative to its value. I have cheap phones and therefore use a Ziploc (tm).

Regardless of value, I want the phone to survive the kind of situation where I might really need it...

canklecat 07-07-19 12:36 AM

Yup, I know other folks who said an Otterbox saved their phones.

Probably a good idea in case we crash hard or are hit. Protect the phone so you can call for help. Which is why I keep my phone in my pocket instead of on the bike.

Also, try voice to text. Less risk of distraction. A couple of friend who need to stay in touch 24/7 for their businesses use various hands-free techniques so they can handle calls and texting while cycling.

[rantmode on]
But most folks with phones already know this. This stuff has been around for more than a decade, long before smartphones. Years ago I used voice control for my cheap candy bar phone so I could keep track of family members in hospitals and not be distracted while driving. Why people still choose the most awkward and dangerous way to operate a phone that is so much more sophisticated now ... beats me.

Pisses me off on group rides when other people insist on messing with phones. Invariably someone drops a phone, putting others at risk of slipping and falling.
[/rantoff]

downhillmaster 07-07-19 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 21014584)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...421425ac6a.jpg
Consider this an endorsement for Otterbox...while out riding on July 4 on one of my favorite rides I was my sister pull out and not even give me a wave. I went to text her while riding and dropped my phone which was in my back pocket. I immediately hopped of my bike and began to run to it which landed (of course) in an area where the passenger tire of traffic typically is. A giant SUV was headed toward it and the driver knew full well what I was trying to do. He aimed for it and hit is square on. The case is pretty well smashed as you can see. The phone lives with barely a scratch. So, what kind of protection does your phone have?

-scott

Huh?
You attempted to text while riding because your sister didn’t wave to you?
:rolleyes: got what you deserved imo

Jarrettsin 07-07-19 04:27 AM

Otterbox will protect your phone no doubt about it!
But I didn't buy a super skinny light weight phone to put a case on it that turns it back into a giant brick!
In coming messages show on my bike computer. If I need to answer I keep it in a pocket and use the built in voice to text technology.

bobwysiwyg 07-07-19 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrettsin (Post 21014752)
Otterbox will protect your phone no doubt about it!
But I didn't buy a super skinny light weight phone to put a case on it that turns it back into a giant brick!
In coming messages show on my bike computer. If I need to answer I keep it in a pocket and use the built in voice to text technology.

I see it a bit differently. I use an Otterbox, have for years. It is solid protection, thin enough to not interfere with its inductive charging and has good/grasp feel in hand. Without it my phone is a wafer thin slippery bugger. They've gone too far in slimming them down and doing so sacrificed battery capacity.

Kovkov 07-07-19 04:57 AM

Mine has the protection of not being used while riding.

Kedosto 07-07-19 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 21014760)
I see it a bit differently. I use an Otterbox, have for years. It is solid protection, thin enough to not interfere with its inductive charging and has good/grasp feel in hand. Without it my phone is a wafer thin slippery bugger. They've gone too far in slimming them down and doing so sacrificed battery capacity.

Yep, Otterbox for me too. And I completely agree with your point about the sacrifice of battery life for nothing more than design vanity. Give me a phone with some heft and texture; something I can hold on to and lasts. These ultra thin and slippery pieces of pocket jewelry are designer overkill.

-Kedosto

DaveLeeNC 07-07-19 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531 (Post 21014615)
My protection is not doing stuff like that. The phone itself goes naked unless it may rain, in which case it gets a snack-size ziplock bag.

I always carry mine in a ziplock when I am riding (I generate a ton of sweat). One day I just dropped my phone into a ziplock bag and somehow (have no idea how) this particular ziplock bag had a bottom that was completely split open. So I basically just dropped the phone onto a concrete floor from about chest height. Fortunately I have an otterbox style cover for my phone so no damage was done.

dave

Fahrenheit531 07-07-19 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC (Post 21014974)
I always carry mine in a ziplock when I am riding (I generate a ton of sweat). One day I just dropped my phone into a ziplock bag and somehow (have no idea how) this particular ziplock bag had a bottom that was completely split open. So I basically just dropped the phone onto a concrete floor from about chest height. Fortunately I have an otterbox style cover for my phone so no damage was done.

dave

The lesson: no system is foolproof. :lol:

Gresp15C 07-07-19 10:45 AM

Pocket. Cheap phone. No mishaps so far.

indyfabz 07-07-19 12:12 PM

LifeProof case.

indyfabz 07-07-19 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kovkov (Post 21014764)
Mine has the protection of not being used while riding.

I sometimes stop and take photos with my phopne while touring. Happy with my LifeProof case.

James Christie 07-07-19 12:35 PM

I think I'm rather glad I don't live in your country when there are folks atound like that!!

james

GlennR 07-07-19 01:19 PM

Mine is in a zip lock bag in my middle rear pocket. The sound is off and I never touch it while on the bike.

You need to disconnect and enjoy the ride.

dedhed 07-07-19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21015261)
LifeProof case.

Working & playing in all weather, even though it's a company phone and they'd just give me another, I opted for the waterproof lifeproof.

wipekitty 07-07-19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 21014678)
Regardless of value, I want the phone to survive the kind of situation where I might really need it...

Good point. I forget that most people live in civilization and have cell service on their rides :)

spelger 07-07-19 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by hillyman (Post 21014591)
Pretty amazing. Which Otterbox case is that?

I thought so too. Not sure exactly the specific type, wife bought it. Pretty sure it was one of the toughest cases they had at the time (2yrs ago, iphone 5s). Needless to say i will be getting another one.

spelger 07-07-19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 21014603)
You don't need protection if you don't text and ride at the same time. Sorta like don't text and drive.

probably right. sort of a confluence of things really, sis drives by, me headed up a hill so moving pretty slow, recently my phone mount broke. yeah, i've learned my lesson.