Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mountain Bike or Hybrid for my wife (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=447401)

Carbon Unit 07-29-08 11:40 AM

Mountain Bike or Hybrid for my wife

I am a road rider and have been trying to get my wife interested in riding. She doesn't have any interest in a road bike because of the drop bars. So, I am looking for an alternative.

I will eventually get a mountain bike for myself to ride trails and single track. So, I thought about getting my wife a hardtail mountain bike that she could ride on both road and trail. Aluminum may be a little harsh for road so I am considering a used carbon mountain bike.

Is a mountain bike a better alternative than a hybrid?

dynaryder 07-29-08 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Unit (Post 7159921)
Aluminum may be a little harsh for road so I am considering a used carbon mountain bike.

Meh? If it has front suspension and wide,low pressure tires the frame material really isn't going to make a big difference. And i've ridden plenty of comfortable alum frames on the street.

Ask her what kind of riding she wants to do. If she's interested in going off road,then get a MTB. If she wants to stick to the pavement,get a hybrid.

Carbon Unit 07-29-08 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dynaryder (Post 7160230)
Meh? If it has front suspension and wide,low pressure tires the frame material really isn't going to make a big difference. And i've ridden plenty of comfortable alum frames on the street.

Ask her what kind of riding she wants to do. If she's interested in going off road,then get a MTB. If she wants to stick to the pavement,get a hybrid.

Thanks, I will start checking out the hybrids. I think my wife would only want to ride on good roads or flat well managed trails so hybrid will be better for her.

stapfam 07-29-08 03:34 PM

A Hybrid will do trails and in fact- in the height of the summer when there is no mud- it can do full offroad . An MTB will do both but not fare too well on the road.

And forget the Used Carbon mountain bike. The previous owner will not be able to guaranty that he has not hit a few downhills exceptionally hard- found a few trees on the way or even dropped it at speed. Mountain bikes are tough. Carbon is not.

And I am an "EX" mountain biker that has dropped more than my share of Aluminium Mountain bikes and yet to break one. MTB's have to be tough and Aluminium has proved to be the material of choice- Ti is better but not many about due to the cost.

Carbon Unit 07-29-08 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7161937)
A Hybrid will do trails and in fact- in the height of the summer when there is no mud- it can do full offroad . An MTB will do both but not fare too well on the road.

And forget the Used Carbon mountain bike. The previous owner will not be able to guaranty that he has not hit a few downhills exceptionally hard- found a few trees on the way or even dropped it at speed. Mountain bikes are tough. Carbon is not.

And I am an "EX" mountain biker that has dropped more than my share of Aluminium Mountain bikes and yet to break one. MTB's have to be tough and Aluminium has proved to be the material of choice- Ti is better but not many about due to the cost.

Thanks for the feedback. I think for my wife will be most comfortable on a hybrid or cyclecross bike since we will ride more road than trails. I will need to put some non-drop bars on it. If I am looking at a cyclecross bike, there are some options for Ti instead of alumium.

wyeast 07-29-08 05:42 PM

I wouldn't worry about aluminum being harsh on the road. Esp. on a hybrid with wider tires on smooth roads or packed trail it won't be that bad.

If you're that worried, get her a good steelie. :)

Mentor58 07-29-08 05:43 PM

I got a Marin Mt. bike for my wife. Best trade I've ever made.

M58
Yes, it's an Old Joke... I'm an Old Person.

Carbon Unit 07-29-08 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mentor58 (Post 7162807)
I got a Marin Mt. bike for my wife. Best trade I've ever made.

M58
Yes, it's an Old Joke... I'm an Old Person.

If someone offered me a mountain bike for in trade for my wife, I would only have one thing to say.... Is it a hardtail or does it have suspension?

stampylisa 07-30-08 08:51 AM

I would say Hybrid. We bought our bikes in 99, i have an m300 Cannondale, my husband got the higher techie one w/disc brakes. technically I would say mine is a cross between a hybrid and a mtn bike. It looks mtn, has street tires (town and country) on it, but has a higher bar, I would get one that is step thru friendly now if I were shopping again. Easier to get on I think. and make sure it's got cushy suspension seat post and cushy seat. I have to take several days off in between rides cause my tailbone is killing me. I just got started back riding again after looking at it as wall art on the rack in the family room for years.

AndrewP 07-30-08 11:24 AM

Get a hybrid but put bar ends on so she can switch hand positions. Ask the shop about swapping saddles until she finds one that is comfortable.

rumrunn6 07-30-08 11:31 AM

I migrated my wife to a mountain bike along with me. I put slicks on my mountain bike and eventually ditched it for a hybrid, and just ditched that for a road bike. I was telling her I would put road tires on her mountain bike and she took out her road bike. The road bike has less control, so she is safer on the mountain bike. But I think she would like my hybrid a lot. It has bigger wheels and rolls faster. Maybe she can rent one of each and test ride them before plunking down the big bucks.