Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Can't locate clicking sound (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206443)

dkbiker 07-03-20 04:02 AM

Can't locate clicking sound

Hi :)

I'm getting a bit desperate here, so I've made a little video with a clicking sound, that I can't locate. Any ideas?

Google Drive link: drive.google.com/file/d/1TPAubK-JEl9d4_TaLwr2lhrJOQr2tV5C/view?usp=sharing

It happens on all rides in all weather conditions. It happens only when pedaling, both when pedaling fast and slow. It sounds like it's coming from the crank area. The click isn't systematic with a consequent rhythm.

Bike:
CANYON Roadlite AL SL 8.0 2019
Ultegra gear set

KM: 1.800

I've tried.
  • Changing pedals
  • Removing nearly all bolts and added grease
  • Changed the chain
  • Added grease to the spokes at the rims
  • Added grease to the chainring bolts
  • Added grease to the front and rear dropout
  • Added grease to the crank arm, where it meets plastic.
  • Tightened all bolts, especially near front derailleur
Please let me know if you need further information :o

Thanks in advance.

Berg417448 07-03-20 04:38 AM

Several times I have had clicking that I thought was coming from the crank/pedal area of one of my bikes and it turned out to be saddle/seatpost noise.

Sy Reene 07-03-20 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by dkbiker (Post 21566732)

I'm getting a bit desperate here, so I've made a little video with a clicking sound, that I can't locate. Any ideas?

Google Drive link: drive.google.com/file/d/1TPAubK-JEl9d4_TaLwr2lhrJOQr2tV5C/view?usp=sharing

It happens on all rides in all weather conditions. It happens only when pedaling, both when pedaling fast and slow. It sounds like it's coming from the crank area. The click isn't systematic with a consequent rhythm.

Bike:
Ultegra gear set

I've tried.
  • Changing pedals
  • Changed the chain

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a trainer (wheel-off ideally).. this would tell if you if it's in a wheel/quickrelease.
Try one legged pedaling (the other foot completely off the pedal) to see if it's one side only vs the other, and then could be pedal related.
Are you using clipless pedals and have you greased the pedals and the cleats?

Snow Dog 07-03-20 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by dkbiker (Post 21566732)

Bike:
Ultegra gear set

I've tried.
  • Changing pedals
  • Changed the chain

Thanks in advance.

I can't view your video but does your bike have a kickstand? If so, check to see if the crank arm is slapping the kickstand. It might be hanging too low in the folded position.

fishboat 07-03-20 05:20 AM

Change out your bottom bracket..I'd guess your sound will disappear. Mine did.

Moe Zhoost 07-03-20 06:26 AM

Sounds to me like either a stem/bar or saddle/post issue.

Maelochs 07-03-20 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Berg417448 (Post 21566748)
Several times I have had clicking that I thought was coming from the crank/pedal area of one of my bikes and it turned out to be saddle/seatpost noise.

i spent two years agonizing over a clicking on a bike I built ... I couldn't enjoy riding it because I couldn't find the noise. Changed the pedals, changed the rear derailleur, chain, checked the wheels, pulled the BB out twice, tightened every bolts on the bike, headset, stem, seatpost .... .... It Sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket, and it Seemed to click in sync with my pedaling.

Turns out it was a squeaky saddle---the mount where the rails pass through the clamp apparently squeaks a little. I don't know how to stop it .... but it is a lot less frequent a a lot less loud, and since I know what it is, it hardly bothers me.

Sy Reene 07-03-20 07:34 AM

Or with summer here.. ice cubes clinking in your water bottle.

ofajen 07-03-20 07:39 AM

Yeah, make to sure to check saddle, seatpost and BB. I’ve had all those make weird noises. Once I had a click only on high torque pedaling. Turned out it was the joint of the drive side crank arm to the spider and is the reason I only use one piece crank arms now.

Good luck’

Otto

Juan Foote 07-03-20 07:51 AM

You may have said it and I didn't note, but try a bit of oil at each spoke intersection. I had this issue with a set of wheels that ended up needing sent back to the factory.

Lol, I know you bike doesn't have them, but my fenders played a mind**** on me for quite a while with gravel bouncing off.

Barry2 07-03-20 08:08 AM

Questions

Try wearing you tennies, no cleats required. Hey it’s a cheap test.
Does it click if your not in the saddle?
Does it click if you pedal backwards?
Does it click in all gears? Both rings?
Does it click if stationary, brakes applied, pressure on pedals?

Barry

Barry2 07-03-20 08:12 AM

BTW - if the click is chain related, bike in a straight line, constant speed, and count time between clicks.
Although the clicks won’t relate to crank position, they will come at regular intervals.

Barry

Aladin 07-03-20 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Barry2 (Post 21566952)
BTW - if the click is chain related, bike in a straight line, constant speed, and count time between clicks.
Although the clicks won’t relate to crank position, they will come at regular intervals.

Barry

THIS above ... or sticking link.. & possible rear de binding and making chain rub onto next cog. I'll vote chain/rear de related. One link starting to spread... ?

Had one other day.. retired 77 yr old that thinks bike maintenance is for naught. Light clicking.... chain slight rub onto next cog... he fails to bring chain over for regular cleans and length inspects. We live in sand country BTW............ you know that drill.

ofajen 07-03-20 12:42 PM

Also, mud and gunk and other debris clogging up the plates next to derailleur pulleys ( or on the pulleys) can make little noises whenever you pull chain and it may be periodic but at the pulley rate, not the crank rate.

Otto

tyrion 07-03-20 01:50 PM

+1 first step for me would be to try to duplicate the click standing out of the saddle.

hrdknox1 07-03-20 01:55 PM

Since the sound is not constant, I would think it is coming from the bottom bracket bearings. Change your bottom bracket, as someone else mentioned.

Sy Reene 07-03-20 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by hrdknox1 (Post 21567510)
Since the sound is not constant, I would think it is coming from the bottom bracket bearings. Change your bottom bracket, as someone else mentioned.

or just change the bearings?

hrdknox1 07-03-20 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21567564)
or just change the bearings?

You can just change the bearings if they are separate from the bottom bracket.

ofajen 07-05-20 01:33 PM

Ok today I had another noise source that I don’t think I’ve had before: the large chainring on my road bike (first gen Dura-Ace) has a small metal post that was rubbing against the drive side crank arm at the bottom of the drive side pedal stroke only while standing on hills.

Made a bit of a scraping metal on metal sound just at the bottom part of the pedal stroke when the forces and bending are the highest. I could also get a bit of a creak by pushing inward and down on the pedals by hand.

On the bike, I thought front derailleur was low and touching the chainring or frame flex was letting the inner ring nudge the frame (or maybe the BB was about to fail). Didn’t think that post could be the culprit but the noises quit the moment I put some lube on the end of the post.

Otto

veganbikes 07-05-20 05:40 PM

Is it cranks hitting a cable end? That is a common one. As are loose quick releases

Sy Reene 07-05-20 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 21571163)
Is it cranks hitting a cable end? That is a common one. As are loose quick releases

Or tube valve stems rattling in an alloy rim hole.

biker128pedal 07-05-20 07:14 PM

Check the chain. May be worn out. I had recently had an annoying click. I thought it was the seat or seat tube. Standing it went away. My chain was way overdue. Replaced to and the cassette. Click gone ........................................for now.

Paul Barnard 07-06-20 06:34 AM

It has always been a saddle or a stem for me. If it happens when I am out of the saddle, it's likely the stem. If it happens with my hands off the bars, it is likely where the post connects to the rails. Both easy fixes.

bruce19 07-06-20 09:58 AM

I was just watching my friend Ron's show, Bicycle Talk, on Facebook and WHUS 91.7 radio. And, this was what he was talking about. He then went on to do a step by step of how to clean and lube your seat post. Ron was an LBS owner in Willimantic, CT and later an industry rep for companies like Bianchi, Fuji, Speedplay, Garneau, etc.

Facebook Post

_ForceD_ 07-06-20 10:54 AM

Years ago I had a friend something like this happened to. After several trips to his LBS...where it wouldn't happen on the workstand...and replacement of a few components, it was discovered that the 'clicking' was caused by the heel of his shoe hitting the excess front derailleur cable that was bent outward and it was clicking back against the seat tube.

Dan