Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Triathlon (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Rear brake specs for a 2010 Felt B12? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1163236)

Oli_Aponte 12-31-18 02:41 PM

Rear brake specs for a 2010 Felt B12?

Hey everyone!

I just acquired the afore mentioned bike. Its got a SRAM red 10spd groupset, but the brake calipers are KCNC. I really dont like how they feel, they arent "snappy" and the brake itself is just full of sharp edges (like they got it out of the CNC machine and didnt bother to smooth down the edges). I figured I'd start by changing the rear one since I have some 105 rear brakes that have never been used. So I swapped them out, put everything back together, only to find out that the non drive side crankarm hits the brake on the barrel adjuster's arm :foo: .. So my question is.. anyone know of a specific brand of brakes, or model.. that will work on the rear of a 2010 B12 Felt?

Cheer!

_ForceD_ 12-31-18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oli_Aponte (Post 20726296)
So my question is.. anyone know of a specific brand of brakes, or model.. that will work on the rear of a 2010 B12 Felt?

Can you post a picture? I've looked at several pictures of that bike online and can't see where the rear caliper is mounted.

And by the way...do you know that bike was recalled? I came across this while looking through the pictures.
https://www.bikeradar.com/us/news/ar...-models-40839/

Dan

_ForceD_ 01-01-19 04:12 PM

This is an image of a 2010 Felt B12 that I found online. I don't see the rear brake caliper. Is it mounted to the seattube and hidden here by the chainrings?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1d721c6b51.jpg

Dan

Oli_Aponte 01-04-19 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 20726808)

Can you post a picture? I've looked at several pictures of that bike online and can't see where the rear caliper is mounted.

And by the way...do you know that bike was recalled? I came across this while looking through the pictures.

Dan

Sorry for the super late response.. I thought I had replied on my phone.. but it seems like it didnt post it... I've checked with my local Felt dealer, and they checked back with Felt.. my bike's fork is not recalled.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 20728014)

This is an image of a 2010 Felt B12 that I found online. I don't see the rear brake caliper. Is it mounted to the seattube and hidden here by the chainrings?

Dan

Yea, the brake calipers sits on top of the chain stays, behind the seat tube. I'm also thinking it might be the crank arm, seems kinda far fetched.. but hey, who knows.. the bike has a sram red 10spd groupset.. I dont know if that specific crank arm is thicker

_ForceD_ 01-04-19 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oli_Aponte (Post 20732427)
Yea, the brake calipers sits on top of the chain stays, behind the seat tube. I'm also thinking it might be the crank arm, seems kinda far fetched.. but hey, who knows.. the bike has a sram red 10spd groupset.. I dont know if that specific crank arm is thicker

Well, if you really like those brakes, the answer might be to get a BB with a slightly wider spindle on the non-drive side...so that when the crank is mounted it sits slightly farther out from the frame/BB and thereby makes room for the brake caliper.

Dan

burnthesheep 01-07-19 08:29 AM

You want the 7700 Dura Ace rear brake IIRC. It’s whatever year DA was out in 2008 or so.

My Felt DA is the same way.

Some older all carbon TRP brakes also work.

Felt website search works well for pulling up build sheets. That’s how I figured it out.

Oli_Aponte 01-14-19 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 20736046)
You want the 7700 Dura Ace rear brake IIRC. It’s whatever year DA was out in 2008 or so.

My Felt DA is the same way.

Some older all carbon TRP brakes also work.

Felt website search works well for pulling up build sheets. That’s how I figured it out.

searched for those DA brakes, and came up with "vintage" dura ace brakes LOL.. I tried contacting Felt, but they never got back to me

burnthesheep 01-14-19 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Oli_Aponte (Post 20747057)
searched for those DA brakes, and came up with "vintage" dura ace brakes LOL.. I tried contacting Felt, but they never got back to me

I looked mine up and I bought some used TRP R950 SL brakes.

They fit. I do space my left only crank power meter out because the pod would rub.

Without that, it fits a normal crankarm and chainring clearance. I can take a picture if you like.

Oli_Aponte 01-14-19 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 20747063)

I looked mine up and I bought some used TRP R950 SL brakes.

They fit. I do space my left only crank power meter out because the pod would rub.

Without that, it fits a normal crankarm and chainring clearance. I can take a picture if you like.

how do you manage that?

burnthesheep 01-14-19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Oli_Aponte (Post 20748117)
how do you manage that?

I made a custom washer out of some plastic packaging. Just enough to fit. It’s not much. It works.

Oli_Aponte 01-14-19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 20748129)

I made a custom washer out of some plastic packaging. Just enough to fit. It’s not much. It works.

do you put the spacer between the BB and the BB shell or between the crank arm and the BB?

EDIT: I'd post pics of my brake situation, but I still cant post pics until I reach 10 posts

burnthesheep 01-14-19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oli_Aponte (Post 20748137)
do you put the spacer between the BB and the BB shell or between the crank arm and the BB?

EDIT: I'd post pics of my brake situation, but I still cant post pics until I reach 10 posts

I removed the left crank and left the spindle in the BB.

I then measured the diameter of the spindle and part of the BB bearing that spins together. You don’t want friction.

Then cut out a washer shape and installed it on the spindle between the BB bearing and the crankarm.

Sure, it’s ghetto fabulous. But it works and I’ve put 400w through it for a few short intervals. It ain’t going anywhere.

You have to play with the thickness depending on your bike. Anywhere from 1/8 inch at most to only 1/2 a mm.

Pretty sure some gravel riders who convert to 1x do this in the right side to fix chainline alignment. They sell spacers for that but they’re too thick for my liking.

_ForceD_ 01-15-19 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 20748285)
Sure, it’s ghetto fabulous. But it works ...

Negatory good buddy. I call that ingenuity! Jury rigging, or in the Navy we sometimes call it a "gun deck repair." Cudos!

Dan