Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   What Is It About Cycling? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1171444)

Bad Lag 04-25-19 05:28 PM

What Is It About Cycling?

I feel so good when I'm doing it and I feel good after the ride. It's addictive. I've been hooked since I was a teenager.

My whole body feels better when I'm done.

Lemond1985 04-25-19 05:40 PM

For me it's a combination of endorphins, cardiovascular stimulation, and cleansing due to sweating out and burning up of toxins and stress hormones in the body, which stimulate the appetite and create a comfortable rest state conducive to good sleep. YMMV. I use it as a "reset switch" after too much stress, and it works every time.

gugie 04-25-19 05:53 PM

It's not universal. My wife literally hates it, but she's ok with me doing it. I've given up trying to do heavy proselytizing. If people ask me about it, I'm happy to share.

P!N20 04-25-19 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bad Lag (Post 20901002)
I feel so good when I'm doing it and I feel good after the ride.

Clearly you're not riding hard enough. :p

Lascauxcaveman 04-25-19 06:16 PM

It’s using your body the way it’s meant to be used. Getting that cardio workout; and for us oldsters, it’s a low-impact way to do it.

(Unless you crash. Then it’s high impact.)

bikingshearer 04-25-19 06:18 PM

There is something almost hypnotizing about gliding along on a bike. I also think it is the perfect pace for seeing the world, slow enough the be able to enjoy the scenery in detail (and almost always easy enough to pull over and stop for scenery you want to linger over) but fast enough to have a constantly evolving menu of sights - unless you are riding the Great Salt Desert or some such, which makes for pretty monotonous scenery viewing at any speed.

Slightspeed 04-25-19 06:37 PM

Heres a few reasons I love cycling. Scenery on the road (hopefully) less traveled. Coffee stops at a French Cajun Bakery, mid point on the ride. Cycling takes me to places I can't afford to live, but the views and memories are free.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...353d480237.jpg
Wild mustard along Wheeler Canyon this morning.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dcaf4b1f63.jpg
Rabalais in Santa Paula, CA. this morning. The ride takes some of the guilt out of the calories.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...46e08689bf.jpg
A favorite spot just south of Santa Barbara, from Tuesday's ride.

Classtime 04-25-19 07:37 PM

Cycling is not driving. Today, I drove. Driving sucks. I just got back. Don't talk to me.

ascherer 04-25-19 07:41 PM

There's a lot to like, but just why I like it - 47 seasons later - remains a mystery. I hope I never figure it out, I just want to keep going.

The Golden Boy 04-25-19 07:55 PM

Initially, I took up riding because I was quitting smoking and it seemed like a good exercise so I wouldn't put on too much weight. As I got into it, I found that I loved just riding. I got into "bikes" just because it went along with riding- and it was something fun to immerse myself in.

The idea of just leisurely cruising around in the middle of nowhere was perfect for me. No phone, no computer, no way for anyone to bother me...

Last fall I was finally able to get a hitch and a good bike rack onto my car- I'm looking forward to going to some neat trails a little farther away.

52telecaster 04-25-19 11:04 PM

For me its just so perfect for my old body plus incredibly useful. I can run errands, commute or recreate while getting the exercise i would never make myself get otherwise. On top of that, its good for the planet. Whats not to like?

Random Tandem 04-25-19 11:57 PM

A bicycle is also like a time machine - the health benefits of riding extend your life more than the time you spend riding. If you never stop you will be immortal. A way to be closer to the gods.

-Will

KraneXL 04-26-19 02:35 AM

It not bicycling particularly, rather exercise as a whole. Although the speed of cling does have the added "thrill ride" benefit and the closer sensation to floating in air.

As mentioned above, it releases the "feel good" hormones. So it could be any similar exercise of your choosing and you'd get the same result. I get it from running and weight training. Others need thrill seeking or contact sports to get their exercise high.

Lemond1985 04-26-19 05:39 AM

Whatever it is, young people these days evidently don't "get it". I can't remember that last time I saw a school-age kid riding a bike in my area. It seems as though riding a bike, especially an old steel road bike, is about the uncoolest thing someone their age could possibly do! :(

The good part is that vintage bike prices will continue to plummet. At this rate, in 5-10 more years, no used bike will be worth more than $100, regardless of brand or quality.

tiger1964 04-26-19 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 20901025)
For me it's a combination of endorphins

I'm probably wrong, but I swear my body does not produce endorphins... I don't experience that.

What I do love is the sense of motion, the sense of accomplishment, and the interaction with a mechanical device that I understand.

Phil_gretz 04-26-19 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by tiger1964 (Post 20901558)
I'm probably wrong, but I swear my body does not produce endorphins... I don't experience that...

Wow. Sorry to hear about that. Have you been tested? You may be one-in-a-million and thus a prize catch for medical researchers!

randyjawa 04-26-19 07:05 AM

Simply put, I think that riding my bike is fun, physically beneficial, environmentally friendly and cheap to get from here to there and then back to hear again...

It seems as though riding a bike, especially an old steel road bike, is about the uncoolest thing someone their age could possibly do!
In my mind, the exact opposite is true. Few bicycles could offer a cooler image and possibly feel than a vintage road bicycle and we can sell all that we get to young people - two times each year...
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7175e381b6.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5aa0d9c475.jpg

Cl904 04-26-19 07:30 AM

One night while channeling the spirit of Albert Hoffman I figured it out... it’s as close to flying under our own power as humans can get.

Maybe it was the acid, but it seemed legit at the time, and still.

seedsbelize 04-26-19 08:47 AM

All of the above, except for the lack of endorphins.
All I have to do is throw my leg over the top tube and I'm there.
I have also studied under Albert Hoffman. He taught me well.

daoswald 04-26-19 09:08 AM

I'm sure endorphins have something to do with it, but for me it's also the sense of adventure, sense of accomplishment from going somewhere at some distance without a car, the feeling of being outdoors seeing sights, the physical challenge of pushing to greater average speed, a more successful hill climb, or a greater distance, that sort of thing. I also enjoy how my body feels when it gets into that groove of efficiency on the bike.

52telecaster 04-26-19 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cl904 (Post 20901648)
One night while channeling the spirit of Albert Hoffman I figured it out... it’s as close to flying under our own power as humans can get.

Maybe it was the acid, but it seemed legit at the time, and still.

My grandfather used to say riding on two wheels is like flying on the ground. The lean is very important.

BikeWonder 04-26-19 09:44 AM

I feel "complete" doing it; it gives me time to reflect about what is going on in my life and to enjoy the things around me.
It makes the journey to the destination much more enjoyable, whether it's going to school, grocery shopping, or just cruising around.
The type of bike I do it on factors a lot of joy as well.
That, along with what everyone else has mentioned, is why I do it.

crank_addict 04-26-19 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by randyjawa (Post 20901610)
Simply put, I think that riding my bike is fun, physically beneficial, environmentally friendly and cheap to get from here to there and then back to hear again...

In my mind, the exact opposite is true. Few bicycles could offer a cooler image and possibly feel than a vintage road bicycle and we can sell all that we get to young people - two times each year...
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7175e381b6.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5aa0d9c475.jpg

Good discussion and territory market observation.

In one large and one mid size cities - US Midwest, I'm seeing a large decline to no interest for older lightweights. The 18-35 yr. age bracket fear steel. Rather comical too when joining the large organized events. To see a half dozen older steel road bikes among 500-600 others would be unusual.

College town(s) BloNo, IL and for the cycling enthusiast seem to be followers of what the industry pumps. The current trend 'namely - gravel grinders'. Also, used bikes of any type have little monetary value, the owners have more regard for the efficient city recycling.

52telecaster 04-26-19 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by crank_addict (Post 20901892)
Good discussion and territory market observation.

In one large and one mid size cities - US Midwest, I'm seeing a large decline to no interest for older lightweights.

College town(s) BloNo, IL and for the cycling enthusiast seem to be followers of what the industry pumps. The current trend 'namely - gravel grinders'. Also, used bikes of any type have little monetary value, the owners have more regard more for the efficient city recycling.

I have to agree with your assessment, which is why in peoria, i can get decent vintage projects all day long. It sucks that they dont all get used but my son, gf and me get to ride cool stuff to the grocery.

prairiepedaler 04-26-19 10:23 AM

There surely has been books written to satisfy the question you are posing. I share the same reasons as others, a few of which is admiring the bicycle as an elegant and tremendously economical form of transportation. Health benefits abound and it still remains by far the most energy efficient form of transportation there is. You absorb your surroundings differently by bike than being carried around in a climate controlled steel box. There are so many worthwhile venues and sights I never paid attention to (or couldn't!) in a car that is achievable by bike. Beijing was once known as the "city of bicycles", now 50k people a year there die of lung disease from the pollution generated by all the neo-middle class automotive drivers on the road.