Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Question about search excluding long words. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=602292)

helicomatic 11-11-09 03:28 PM

Question about search excluding long words.

So I figured I would search to see if there were any threads about Helicomatic hubs, and to see if any references to my username showed up as well. When searching for "Helicomatic" you get this result:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : Helicomatic
Now I know the hubs are on a whole bunch of old Peugeots, Treks, and others, but how common can it really be as a topic? I guess it's just too long. Searching for "hakkapeliitta" tires gives you a similar result. Why are long search terms blocked?

madpogue 06-02-19 12:57 PM

Time to get the jumper cables and jolt this thread back to life. I was astonished to find that the search fails on words as short as 11 letters. This is an English language site, with content of a mostly technical nature, in the 21st Century. Eleven letters? Seriously?

Total coincidence - it was a failed search on "helicomatic" that pointed me to this thread. I went to this section of the forum and searched on "search long", and this came up.

DrIsotope 06-02-19 02:19 PM

While it is less than optimal, my current recommendation is to open a shiny new Google tab, and in the address bar paste this:

helicomatic hubs site:www.bikeforums.net

It works.

madpogue 06-02-19 06:53 PM

If by "it works", you mean "it spies on you, yes, it "works". But I digress; any generic search engine does NOT work for the purpose. Such a search provides EVERY reference to the search terms, EVER stored on the specified site, in order of what IT "thinks" is important. No option to search specific sections, let alone search specific threads, or search by user, or order by date. Forget about options like return posts vs. threads, search on thread headers only, etc. These are all features that forum searches have had for decades, and emasculating the search by limiting the number of letters in a word is, well, 20th-Century.

madpogue 06-03-19 04:19 PM

Actually, the search _features_ are pretty cool; as said, it can fine tune your search in ways that a generic search engine can't (simply because it's embedded in the forum app). But such a small word size limit cripples it. Bumping it to, oh, 15 or 16 letters would make a big difference.

IBRyan 06-03-19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by helicomatic (Post 10022129)
So I figured I would search to see if there were any threads about Helicomatic hubs, and to see if any references to my username showed up as well. When searching for "Helicomatic" you get this result:

Now I know the hubs are on a whole bunch of old Peugeots, Treks, and others, but how common can it really be as a topic? I guess it's just too long. Searching for "hakkapeliitta" tires gives you a similar result. Why are long search terms blocked?

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 20958727)
While it is less than optimal, my current recommendation is to open a shiny new Google tab, and in the address bar paste this:

helicomatic hubs site:www.bikeforums.net

It works.

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 20960455)
Actually, the search _features_ are pretty cool; as said, it can fine tune your search in ways that a generic search engine can't (simply because it's embedded in the forum app). But such a small word size limit cripples it. Bumping it to, oh, 15 or 16 letters would make a big difference.

Hello all, I looked into this issue with tech and fixed it. @helicomatic , I apologize about that inconvenience.

madpogue 06-03-19 04:53 PM

Looky that, it works! Thanks Ryan.

IBRyan 06-03-19 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 20960504)
Looky that, it works! Thanks Ryan.

Anything to make our community happy :)