Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Am I doing the wrong thing the right way? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178958)

Halfpoundbobby 07-21-19 11:47 AM

Am I doing the wrong thing the right way?

OK. I'm a bike hoarder. I'm 330 pounds. And I'm 6'5". I'm training to get back into riding centuries again, so my natural choice was building up one of my road bikes.

Here's the problem: I'm comfortable on it. I've fit every dimension of the bike perfectly to me, I don't have any aches and pains, I can do long rides without issue.

But... I have a giant (HUGE) cruiser seat on it. I've read countless times that this is unacceptable on a road bike, and unacceptable on long rides. But it works. I'm confident that everything else is adjusted properly. Are the bike police going to arrest me for defying tradition and physics?

Kedosto 07-21-19 12:00 PM

So... it fits?
And you ride it?
You have no problems?
No issues?

Ride it.

-Kedosto

Halfpoundbobby 07-21-19 12:16 PM

Absolutely. I guess I'm just anticipating some sort of unforeseen catastrophe because I'm going against some pretty universal advice.

I'm eerily satisfied outside of the insecurity about the blasphemous seat.

stanman13 07-21-19 12:22 PM

Ride the saddle you like on the bike you like. End of story in my eyes. If others want to judge you for it, rain on 'em. They can have some input when they're riding it.

ETA: it's a bit absurd to think that a 6'5" 330 lb guy is going to fit best on the same saddle as a 5'8" 160 lb rider. I think the worst catastrophic consequence might be some inner thigh chafing.

ZIPP2001 07-21-19 12:30 PM

If it works for you then who cares what others think or say. I don't seek any advice from others when it comes to what I ride, how I ride, and so on. Been doing this for almost 50 years and know what works for me and could careless if it goes against normal perceptions or industry standards.

DrIsotope 07-21-19 12:49 PM

Don't worry about the saddle. If it's comfortable now, regardless of what it is, thank your lucky stars. As you lose weight and your fitness improves, that saddle probably won't work anymore. I went through 7-8 saddles in my first 2 years on the bike. Great one day, and seemingly unbearable the next.

Halfpoundbobby 07-21-19 01:07 PM

Thanks for the reassurance. I basically wanted to undo the hundreds of forum threads ingrained into my head about why this isn't OK. This will definitely suffice.

Oddly enough, I'm plenty comfortable with a tiny and hard seat on my BMX bike (my older boy won't go on a ride with me unless I'm on the "the grownup version of [his] bike").

philbob57 07-21-19 03:19 PM

In theory, this shouldn't work for you. In all probability, it wouldn't work for most people like you. But since it does work for you, why worry? Enjoy it as long as it works.

If some roadie is offended by your saddle, it's his problem. If he's rude enough too mention it, just say, 'Thank you for sharing.'

HerrKaLeun 07-21-19 06:37 PM

At your weight you can't take the advice that may apply to TdF riders.

if it works, fine.

Only issue you may have is if you extend your rides to get closer to that century. but you cross that bridge once you reach it. Once you ride centuries you likely will be lighter anyway, more flexible etc. Many fit things may change as your body changes. not sure what your current ride length is, though.

cyclist2000 07-21-19 10:00 PM

It doesn't sound like there is a problem with your current ride, just use it the way it is.

indyfabz 07-22-19 07:59 AM

No, but I am will to bet that people will be snickering at you behind your back.

superdex 07-22-19 10:00 AM

Ride it until it doesn't work anymore.

rumrunn6 07-22-19 11:52 AM

I doubt the bike police are looking under yer butt. if you like it, then it's perfect :thumb:

rutan74 07-22-19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Halfpoundbobby (Post 21037743)
OK. I'm a bike hoarder. I'm 330 pounds. And I'm 6'5". I'm training to get back into riding centuries again, so my natural choice was building up one of my road bikes.

Here's the problem: I'm comfortable on it. I've fit every dimension of the bike perfectly to me, I don't have any aches and pains, I can do long rides without issue.

But... I have a giant (HUGE) cruiser seat on it. I've read countless times that this is unacceptable on a road bike, and unacceptable on long rides. But it works. I'm confident that everything else is adjusted properly. Are the bike police going to arrest me for defying tradition and physics?

Holy crap. Have the Velominati shown up? Ahh, check The Rules for a good laugh and then say to yourself, these guys actually think like this. Sad. Rule 5 is the only rule worth following from their "rules". Rule 5 is a rule for life IMO.

That being said, like others have said, if it works, the vast and I mean VAST majority of riders could give a crap if you ride a cruiser seat. Who's even looking at that? Yea, if you are 130lbs and 5'5" maybe, but those types are not going to throw any shade your way being a clyde anyway. Besides, if you are like me, my fat butt covers most of the seat anyway! Again, most of the snobbery comes from badging, just like with cars. Carry on.

I've done 3 centuries and no one has pulled up and said, geez, that's a 30 dollar seat from Performance. Why don't you get a real saddle? You know why? Cause mine works just fine and I have no pain or saddle sores after 15,000 miles. In reality, no one really cares and those that do care are not going to be anywhere near you, nor will they want to hang out with you after the ride.

If it works for you, press on.

john

kc0bbq 07-24-19 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21039031)
No, but I am will to bet that people will be snickering at you behind your back.

Everyone's laughing until they want to draft behind the freight train.

indyfabz 07-24-19 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by kc0bbq (Post 21042857)
Everyone's laughing until they want to draft behind the freight train.

Not if it's chugging along at only 15 mph.

Clyde1820 07-24-19 01:05 PM

Ditto, with everyone else: if you've got the seemingly perfect saddle and fit, you're one step ahead of nearly everybody. Can't imagine that someone else's imagined conception of your comfort should trump your own actual comfort. You are, after all, riding for you and not others.

Ride it. And love the fact you've got zero aches and issues.