Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Which bike would you recommend (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175218)

tranquillou87 06-09-19 05:41 PM

Which bike would you recommend

Hi,

I am new here and I would like to get an opinion from people who know road bikes better than me. I started road cycling last year with my father’s former bike, a really cheap bike. I have now decided to buy a new one since I have some problems with mine, and I don’t want to put any money on it.

I have narrowed my search to these two bikes:

- 2018 Giant Defy Advanced 1
- 2018 Cervelo R2
(I can’t post links since I am new here)

The Giant is 2300$ tax included, and the Cervelo is used, and 2000$

I know these aren’t the same type of bike, but I started looking for an endurance bike because I heard they were really comfortable, and I often have lower back pain. I then started to look for a more « racing » kind, and I thought the Cervelo seemed really good for it’s price.

What would you recommend me?

gurk700 06-09-19 07:04 PM

What year is the Cervelo? The previous generation of R-Series is definitely somewhere between a racing and endurance geometry. I would describe it as a very aggressive endurance bike. It's still light and stiff as a race bike should be. My experience is with an R5 but I'm 100% sure R2 is just as great but a couple hundreds heavier.

I have no experience with Giant and I'm sure it's a great bike but I have nothing but good things to say about a Cervelo R series bike.

tranquillou87 06-09-19 07:28 PM

Thank you for your input, it’s much appreciated. The Cervelo is a 2018, same as the Giant.

the Giant is new, and the Cervelo is used, with about 400 miles on it.

DrIsotope 06-09-19 07:38 PM

As a Cervelo owner, I gotta say the Giant kinda has the advantage. Ultegra FD and RD, hydro discs, tubeless wheels and tires.

But as I would always say, ride 'em both first if at all possible. One is gonna speak to you more than the other, I guarantee it.

guachi 06-09-19 09:47 PM

"More comfortable" is relative. I recently bought the Trek version of an endurance bike (Domane) for about the same price.

On any ride longer than 45 minutes my feet, hands, and (especially) rear start to hurt. And I'm used to riding for an hour in an exercise bike.

My bike fit did a lot to eliminate much of the pain in the saddle and now I'm down to my sit bones hurting.

In other words, simply buying an endurance bike might not be a cure all. You'll still be in a relatively aggressive position. And if you are like my and but used to riding a road bike, I'd hate for you to spend lots of money on a bike that hurts you.

Seattle Forrest 06-09-19 10:36 PM

I would but the Cervelo hands down, I wouldn't even look at the other bike. (That's assuming I was confident it hasn't been crashed or abused.) The way Cervelos handle is exactly the way I think a bike should handle. It's been true of every one I've been on, my current bike is a Cervelo C3, I knew I was going to buy it before I got it out of the parking lot. Turned it once and a smile broke out across my face.

That reason doesn't apply to you or anyone else, so go test ride them both. Longest rides they'll allow you.

Wilmingtech 06-10-19 12:37 AM

This is assuming that you know exactly what frame size fits you and both bikes are the same frame size.

If disc brakes are important to you go with the giant. Everything else is upgradable.

If disc brakes are a fad to you and not important, the Cervelo is a better bike. Better hubs/wheels, will roll better for sure. RD/FD are upgradable. Rest looks pretty similar.

Geo -Longer chainstay/wheelbase on the giant. Wont descend and take corners like the R2. Slightly more relaxed headtube angle on Defy. Stack is much higher on the Defy (like 3cm higher) so you will certainty have a slightly more upright position and will have to cut everything down to get lower.

If you have trouble rolling your hips forward because of your back, then the Defy stack 'may' be helpful.

But as I said in the beginning, make sure you get a frame that fits you. Nothing worse than having an awesome bike that you are all stretched out on.

-Sean

Maelochs 06-10-19 11:40 AM

They are both excellent bikes. One is going to handle exceedingly lightly and quickly, the other will be a little slower but more stable. The Cervelo is designed to work best with the rider's weight down and forward. The Giant is designed for the rider to be in a more relaxed position.

I have a previous-generation Cervelo clone (the one which has a taller head tube like an endurance bike) and my next purchase was an endurance bike---much as I live my racy little machine, the endurance-geometry frame does put less stress on my body (actually distributes it to more areas where i can better manage it---it takes a lot of strength throughout the body to ride in that flat-backed racer posture.

After a hard day on the Cervelo clone, if I want to ride a second good day, I need to take out the more comfortable bike. But I love both bikes.

You could modify either bike to put the control surfaces in about the same location .... but that sort of defeats the purpose.

Fit is the most important factor. With road bikes and most of all with racy road bikes, the bike has to fit you perfectly and be set up for your capabilities at a given time, or it will hurt to ride. The Giant, I'd guess, you can pick your size. If neither fit really well, you are going to have to shop elsewhere.

As for tiny differences in component quality---one is new, one is used. Both are really well outfitted. People who say one set of wheels might roll better .... A.) it depends upon wear and maintenance) and B.) the difference is likely between 96% efficiency and 97 percent.

If I were you and I only had the cash and space for one bike I'd get the Giant--Ultegra, discs, tubeless, endurance geometry, and also i looked at them pretty hard before buying the endurance bike I did buy. I like them.

But ... as @seattle Forest notes---these are personal reasons. You need to decide if you want a racy bike or a slightly more relaxed bike. You need to see how each fits. You need to see if one or he other really speaks to you. And you need to think long and hard about how you want to use each of these tools.

You might buy the Giant, ride a century every weekend, and always pine for the Cervelo. You might buy the Cervelo, and absolutely love it for the first 50 miles and then have to head home at 75 because your back and neck are screaming---but you might love it anyway. You might buy the Cervelo and wish you had bought the Giant because as it turns out you didn't want a race bike.

No one will know any of that for a while no matter what.

Life is uncertain.

tranquillou87 06-10-19 12:43 PM

Thank you all for your inputs, it’s really appreciated. It got more complicated with the seller of the used Cervelo, so if I like the Giant I might go with it. I just want to make sure that it’s a good bike for it’s price.

OUGrad05 06-10-19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by tranquillou87 (Post 20971709)
Thank you all for your inputs, it’s really appreciated. It got more complicated with the seller of the used Cervelo, so if I like the Giant I might go with it. I just want to make sure that it’s a good bike for it’s price.

Giant makes an excellent bike for the price, scratch that, it's an excellent bike period.

Personally, I'd probably go Cervelo but I've also been riding longer than you have and I have an endurance geometry bike now. You need to think about your goals, physical flexibility, etc all that of that will matter.

I bought an Endurance bike because I wanted something a bit more relaxed, so I purchased a Specialized Roubaix 2 years ago. It's been great, but now I also need/want a racier frame. But as mentioned above everyone is different, Cervelo may be great for 50 miles but be hard on your body after that for you. If you don't see yourself doing more than 90 minute rides I'd go racier, longer then that? start with endurance frame and buy a racier bike later?

dalava 06-11-19 10:13 AM

If the Giant has their weird Conduct disc brakes, stay away!

dalava 06-11-19 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dalava (Post 20973202)
If the Giant has their weird Conduct disc brakes, stay away!

If this is the bike you are looking at: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-1-2018, don't do it. The brakes is a deal breaker. They suck and are ugly.

Maelochs 06-11-19 11:04 AM

I haven't heard anything bad about the Conduct brakes. Mech-Hydro system which allows normal levers because the reservoir and pistons are on the bar, nit in the brifter .... I haven't heard about any problems with it. if anyone has actual experience I would listen.

dalava 06-11-19 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20973298)
I haven't heard anything bad about the Conduct brakes. Mech-Hydro system which allows normal levers because the reservoir and pistons are on the bar, nit in the brifter .... I haven't heard about any problems with it. if anyone has actual experience I would listen.

Functionally, it's hard to modulate and performs more like on/off switch. It kind of negates the whole disc brake advantage. Also, it adds a bit of weight to the front end which impacts handling.

Not exactly related to functions, the thing is proprietary Giant so upgrade of any kind would be difficult down the road. The box also sits in front of the stem which requires again proprietary stem and other accessories, e.g. a Garmin mount. Not to mention how ugly it looks.

Rides4Beer 06-12-19 08:41 AM

FWIW, Giant got rid of the Conduct system for 2020, they're all full hydraulic now. I just bought a Giant (gravel bike), and I'm loving it, def good quality.

dalava 06-12-19 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 20974813)
FWIW, Giant got rid of the Conduct system for 2020, they're all full hydraulic now. I just bought a Giant (gravel bike), and I'm loving it, def good quality.

Maybe that's why they are heavily discounting the 2018 models.

Makel 06-12-19 09:33 AM

The giant because it costs the most.