Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Moderators Closing Threads (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195328)

mjac 03-07-20 12:14 PM

Moderators Closing Threads

Could someone explain to me why moderators seemingly arbitrarily just close threads down. This seems heavy handed and unnecessary. Why not let the Market Place do it? It is much more effeicent, much fairer and much more ethical. I would like to know what other BF users think about this practice.

desconhecido 03-07-20 01:07 PM

I've never observed moderators closing a thread and disagreed with them. They do a good job. That's my opinion and my total input on this question.

mjac 03-07-20 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 21356976)
I've never observed moderators closing a thread and disagreed with them. They do a good job. That's my opinion and my total input on this question.

You could be right but it is so unnecessary. Unless some really offensive behavior is occurring. I have seen threads closed down because the moderator decided it wasn't interesting any more. Let it die on its own.

curbtender 03-07-20 01:25 PM

Some threads are redundant. Keeps the Zombies away...

CliffordK 03-07-20 01:43 PM

It isn't uncommon for threads to be moved from the general forums to "Politics&Religion", if containing controversial subjects, effectively locking out some of the previous respondents.

As far as locking threads. I do try to give thoughtful replies, but have seen several threads I wanted to reply to that seemed to be abruptly locked. I suppose I can see the benefit of locking them down if they get too personal, or drift too far from the OP's subject, especially for certain topics that cut close to home.

Perhaps in some cases a firm warning to return to topic would be better than locking. Or, first warn, then lock.

CliffordK 03-07-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by curbtender (Post 21356995)

Yet, so many people complain about bumping zombie threads.

Personally, if a post extends a zombie topic, I'd stick it to that thread. But, if it is a new subject... I have a bike like XYZ's bike, then perhaps it deserves a new thread. Although, even that can be ambiguous as there may be reasons to wish to bump the original OP and all those who had responded previously.

mjac 03-07-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by curbtender (Post 21356995)

Unless something offensive is going on, if people are still interchanging on the thread, why should the moderator close the thread down? If people are still exchanging ideas it is not redundant to them. Let it die on its own.

Olefeller77 03-07-20 02:08 PM

I appreciate the helpful info from folks more informed than I . Moderating is for the most part, a thankless job. So far I think they are doing great. Opinions may vary.

CliffordK 03-07-20 02:20 PM

Hmmm, I see the "Presta" topic got closed. I can see how a topic like that one would go round and round in circles. There is no real answer, just personal preference.

I can't say there would be strong disagreements on tubes, but forcing disagreements, and someone will get hurt.

We need more chain lube threads!!!

FBOATSB 03-07-20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21356912)
Could someone explain to me why moderators seemingly arbitrarily just close threads down. This seems heavy handed and unnecessary. Why not let the Market Place do it? It is much more effeicent, much fairer and much more ethical. I would like to know what other BF users think about this practice.

I think any thread closing is usually discussed and agreed upon by more that one moderator. Most thread closings are the result of mods having to clean up multiple posts that are against forum guidelines; have you by chance read them? Interesting read. Here's just one line from them: "Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected." Many thread closings are the result of the thread straying so far off the OP topic they become totally unrelated to cycling. If not for the thankless work of the mods I doubt I would be a member here, as if anybody would care:lol:

mjac 03-07-20 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Olefeller77 (Post 21357036)
I appreciate the helpful info from folks more informed than I . Moderating is for the most part, a thankless job. So far I think they are doing great. Opinions may vary.

The reason I say this is not to deride the moderators, they are doing what they think is right. But there seems to be, especially in the past, a contentious attitude between the users of and the staff and moderators of BF. I would like to see this eased a bit. It is not as bad as it was in the past.

mjac 03-07-20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21357040)
Hmmm, I see the "Presta" topic got closed. I can see how a topic like that one would go round and round in circles. There is no real answer, just personal preference.

I can't say there would be strong disagreements on tubes, but forcing disagreements, and someone will get hurt.

We was having fun. At least I was. But it was not just this, I have seen this in the past and it bothered me. It just seems unnecessarily heavy handed and create a bad atmosphere between the members and the Staff. It was real bad in the past. I do not think that is good.

mjac 03-07-20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by FBOATSB (Post 21357057)
I think any thread closing is usually discussed and agreed upon by more that one moderator. Most thread closings are the result of mods having to clean up multiple posts that are against forum guidelines; have you by chance read them? Interesting read. Here's just one line from them: "Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected." Many thread closings are the result of the thread straying so far off the OP topic they become totally unrelated to cycling. If not for the thankless work of the mods I doubt I would be a member here, as if anybody would care:lol:

Maybe you are right. Perhaps I do not realize what a mess this would be if there was no moderation. But being too heavy handed is not good either. It stymies free expression. I guesse it is a fine line.

mjac 03-07-20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21357040)

The "Presta" topic was not closed.The "PrestI" topic was closed.

mjac 03-07-20 04:19 PM

I think that if moderators can indesciminatly close Threads, we should be able to put moderators on our Ignore List.

chainstay 03-07-20 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21357141)
I think that if moderators can indesciminatly close Threads, we should be able to put moderators on our Ignore List.

Nobody gives a **** what you think.

mjac 03-07-20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by chainstay (Post 21357238)
Nobody gives a **** what you think.

Good

Machka 03-07-20 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21357074)
Maybe you are right. Perhaps I do not realize what a mess this would be if there was no moderation. But being too heavy handed is not good either. It stymies free expression. I guesse it is a fine line.

You're right. You don't realise what a mess this would be if there were no moderation.

Often we don't see what has gone on while we were away from the computer because the mods have cleaned up the mess.

It's good the way it is.

mjac 03-07-20 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 21357331)
You're right. You don't realise what a mess this would be if there were no moderation.

Often we don't see what has gone on while we were away from the computer because the mods have cleaned up the mess.

It's good the way it is.

You are probably right. I take for granted what they do. But I do not know if it is completely good the way it is.

datlas 03-08-20 06:54 PM

Lookit, I have my own beef with BF (more about the stupid censor/filter) but the Mods have a tough job and sometimes threads get derailed especially when personal insults get hurled and locking the thread sometimes is necessary.

I understand your desire to just have a free and open forum and part of me even wishes for this, but to reign in the occasional rogue posting, the practice is still sometimes necessary.

mjac 03-08-20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21358351)
Lookit, I have my own beef with BF (more about the stupid censor/filter) but the Mods have a tough job and sometimes threads get derailed especially when personal insults get hurled and locking the thread sometimes is necessary.

I understand your desire to just have a free and open forum and part of me even wishes for this, but to reign in the occasional rogue posting, the practice is still sometimes necessary.

Fair Enough

AlmostTrick 03-08-20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21357069)
We was having fun. At least I was. (in the Presto thread)

Maybe you were having fun, but were others? You pushed your point too hard in an oftentimes not so lighthearted manner. Nearly half the posts in the thread were by you, saying pretty much the same thongs over and over. And now you're doing the same thong here!

Hey, I like silly harmless troll threads as much as the next guy, but that thread was overdue for a closing. Brush up on your material and technique a bit. :)

mjac 03-08-20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick (Post 21358494)
Maybe you were having fun, but were others? You pushed your point too hard in an oftentimes not so lighthearted manner. Nearly half the posts in the thread were by you, saying pretty much the same thongs over and over. And now you're doing the same thong here!

Hey, I like silly harmless troll threads as much as the next guy, but that thread was overdue for a closing. Brush up on your material and technique a bit. :)

No harm intended.

AlmostTrick 03-09-20 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by mjac (Post 21358548)
No harm intended.

Understood, and same here. Have fun!

IBJoel 03-09-20 09:04 AM

Really this can't get looked at without specific examples. And by that, I mean links to closed threads.